Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Supermarkets...better in Spain? or in UK?

Supermarkets...better in Spain? or in UK?

Old Dec 9th 2008, 12:29 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarkets...better in Spain? or in UK?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Thats because of the way you read it then, not the way he said it!

I'm not often lost for words, but you have beaten me there!
I think he means '& then there was light'!
Old Dec 9th 2008, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

That ugly fish could be catfish, which Brits used to turn their noses up at, or monkfish which is so ugly even its mother wouldn't love it....but surely even Brits know how wondrous that is?
....and on Spanish fishing practices, you still see teeny weeny hake here on supermarket displays.......thought that was supposed to have been outlawed yonks ago
Old Dec 9th 2008, 2:26 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
That ugly fish could be catfish, which Brits used to turn their noses up at, or monkfish which is so ugly even its mother wouldn't love it....but surely even Brits know how wondrous that is?
....and on Spanish fishing practices, you still see teeny weeny hake here on supermarket displays.......thought that was supposed to have been outlawed yonks ago
'catfish' came up in a lesson I was giving this morning

I didn't know the translation into spanish so I looked it up - we work from his books, so no chance of real lesson planning or looking things up in advance

my huuuuuuuuuge Collins gave 'siluro' or 'bagre'

my student, a spanish lawyer, had never heard of it

anyone know a different translation?
Old Dec 9th 2008, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa

I didn't know the translation into spanish so I looked it up - we work from his books, so no chance of real lesson planning or looking things up in advance

I think Bagre is the more common name for it, but different regions may have their 'slang' or variations.

Last edited by Econ; Dec 9th 2008 at 3:17 pm. Reason: variations
Old Dec 9th 2008, 2:37 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

no, says the same in mine as well....must have been printed by the same man

Last edited by crispy; Dec 9th 2008 at 2:44 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

I never said Spanish food was crap. I said two things, i) spanish supermarkets are somewhat behind their counterparts in other countries on some items they stock and ii) Spanish have not taken to ethnic cuisine. Now how someone can take that to mean Spanish food is crap is quite telling.

It is like if his girlfriend comes up to him and says she doesn't like his shirt, he gets all offended and takes it to mean that she is implying he has a small penis. sonofsam appears to be a little over sensitive about the size of his.. ummmm.. cuisine. LOL
Old Dec 9th 2008, 2:50 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
I never said Spanish food was crap. I said two things, i) spanish supermarkets are somewhat behind their counterparts in other countries on some items they stock and ii) Spanish have not taken to ethnic cuisine. Now how someone can take that to mean Spanish food is crap is quite telling.

It is like if his girlfriend comes up to him and says she doesn't like his shirt, he gets all offended and takes it to mean that she is implying he has a small penis. sonofsam appears to be a little over sensitive about the size of his.. ummmm.. cuisine. LOL
I'm not sticking up for him, but you have to realise he is possibly/probably running everything through an online translator

the above into Spanish with Abacho:

Usted tiene que realizar que él dirige posiblemente/probablemente todo por un traductor en línea

& then back into English:

You have to realize that he directs possibly / probably everything for a translator in line
Old Dec 9th 2008, 3:10 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

He's using a translator????

My sister swims with the fishes and especially likes Cod
Old Dec 9th 2008, 3:13 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

He's using a translator????

My sister swims with the fishes and especially likes Cod
into spanish & back again

My sister not at all with the fish and especially he likes the Cod

I love playing around with online translators
Old Dec 9th 2008, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all

'Pez gato'. I'd heard this before to describe all the different types. Looks like 'bagre' is the translation but must admit, never heard it before.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 3:17 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

into spanish & back again

My sister not at all with the fish and especially he likes the Cod

I love playing around with online translators
Dont you mean

Master playing around with the translators in line
Old Dec 9th 2008, 3:18 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by arko
'Pez gato'. I'd heard this before to describe all the different types. Looks like 'bagre' is the translation but must admit, never heard it before.
my student said 'pezgato' with an expression of great confusion on his face

he'd never heard of either translation or could remember ever eating it
Old Dec 9th 2008, 3:19 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Dont you mean

Master playing around with the translators in line
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Sarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant future

they' re great these translators in line - watched!

perhaps we could have a competition to find the translation in line stupider of an oration

Expats British is creating our own language. First initiate by sonofspain, by all means…

i' m i' it cheers; m a professor of English

Last edited by Sarleon; Dec 10th 2008 at 4:58 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarleon
they' re great these translators in line - watched!

perhaps we could have a competition to find the translation in line stupider of an oration

Expats British is creating our own language. First initiate by sonofspain, by all means…

i' m i' it cheers; m a professor of English
(I think) ( en rollo en el piso que rie .....)

Last edited by fionamw; Dec 10th 2008 at 7:27 pm.