Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Supermarkets...better in Spain? or in UK?

Supermarkets...better in Spain? or in UK?

Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarkets...better in Spain? or in UK?

Originally Posted by crispy
Arko's comment that you quoted was pointed at me and I really hope your comment was not pointed at me, I have never once said that I prefer British food, and I certainly do not expect things to be all British for me here.
This is pointed at anyone who feels as I suggested in my comment, I hope you are not trying to put words in my mouth because I have never said once that you prefer British food.

Because I am living in an particular country does not mean I have to eat only food from that country.
No true, but then many comments are complaints by people who live here just expecting to get what they are used to getting in their country of origin, this is a different country from theirs, people should not need to be explained this.

In answer to the OP question I prefer supermarkets in the UK for variety and being able to find most things under one roof.
But you can do this here also, (BTW, there are places in the UK where all the things you need are not under one roof), mind you if you want some dish that might not be that common to the country you live in then this will be more difficult just as trying to find Morcilla de Burgos in Hapton might be a tad difficult also. In saying this my Spanish wife (although she can get the veg and other things in the supermarket and she cooks beyond Spanish dishes) prefers to use 2 or 3 different places to buy her shopping, one place for veg because she feels she can it at a better price than in the local supermarket, somewhere else for meat because she knows the owner and likes to get the meat there..., although she can get good meat in the local supermarket also.
Depending on what she would be buying for maybe she would just go to the local market which to be honest has practically everything you could ever wish for apart from the general supermarket packet and tined goods, much better flavoured fruit and veg than I have tasted from a UK supermarket.

Last edited by Econ; Dec 7th 2008 at 3:41 am.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:40 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cleri
ok,I have heard about his gin episodes
gin? Its not just gin, when he gets on a roll even the heater fluid gets a hammering!
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I don`t mind them on toast with an egg on top on a cold day, like just recently, but there is no way i would pay 3€`s a tin. lol
On toast with a slice of cheese and placed under the grill for a minute to make the edges of the toast even more crispy and melt the cheese
Old Dec 7th 2008, 4:17 am

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Econ
This is pointed at anyone who feels as I suggested in my comment, I hope you are not trying to put words in my mouth because I have never said once that you prefer British food.

No true, but then many comments are complaints by people who live here just expecting to get what they are used to getting in their country of origin, this is a different country from theirs, people should not need to be explained this.

But you can do this here also, (BTW, there are places in the UK where all the things you need are not under one roof), mind you if you want some dish that might not be that common to the country you live in then this will be more difficult just as trying to find Morcilla de Burgos in Hapton might be a tad difficult also. In saying this my Spanish wife (although she can get the veg and other things in the supermarket and she cooks beyond Spanish dishes) prefers to use 2 or 3 different places to buy her shopping, one place for veg because she feels she can it at a better price than in the local supermarket, somewhere else for meat because she knows the owner and likes to get the meat there..., although she can get good meat in the local supermarket also.
Depending on what she would be buying for maybe she would just go to the local market which to be honest has practically everything you could ever wish for apart from the general supermarket packet and tined goods, much better flavoured fruit and veg than I have tasted from a UK supermarket.

Econ, I think what it boils down to is like everywhere things in supermarkets are seasonal and depend largley on what area you live in to what is readily available in your local shop.

I don't think anyone is questioning the quality of the food, having lived in London or near to London all my life I have had whatever I needed right on my doorstep. I could get pracitically everything I needed in one supermaket, having a full time job with very long unsocialable hours (I worked 6 sometime 7 days a week) this was a good send to me.

In the last few years of living there the quality of fresh food increased beyond ones imagination with farmers markets but this came at a very expensive price, beyond a lot of purse strings. Here in Spain good quaility food is available at a much more resonable price that most people can afford.

I agree that there are many people living here that only want what they had at home but that is their choice and their loss. I got the impression from what Jerezgirl was saying that as she works full time she found it difficult to find the time to shope around for ingrediants that she needed to make the food that she likes to eat. I am not sure how long she has lived here but it took me about three years to find out where I could get certain food.

I am prepared to travel for what I want, I often drive for an hour to buy my fish as the fish market and supermarkets here in Chiclana hardly every have Skate and I adore grilled skate with hot garlic butter. Now skate back in the UK could be found on nearly every fish counter (in the London area) but for some reason not so here in Chiclana. But in Sanlucar, Chippiona and Puerto Real I can get it nearly everytime I go. But if I was working then I would not be able to do so, even now after living here for a few years I still miss certain foods and I am not ashamed to say I go to Gib and shop in Morrison's maybe 3 times a year just to get my little Bit fix.

Having said that the supermarkets here are now beginning to give a much larger choice of foods, I don't mean just Brit food, we can now find many more diffeent cheeses and cold meats, a much larger selection of wines and for me personally a good selcetion of low fat, no sugar foods. When I bought my house in 2005 there was not one single supermarket that sold fresh mushrooms all I could get was tinned

People who come to live in Spain and only want to eat what they are used to have the right to do so, the same as those of us that want to just have a healthy diet made up of fresh fruit, veg, meat and fish can do.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

In another thread featherbum (sorry featherbum for bringing you into this) asked what supermarkets in Spain stocked fresh cream, sour cream and garlic bread. This coming from a young Spanish girl who has just moved back to Spain after living in the Uk for a few years where she has become accustomed to different food stuff. She has come to like these foods and now she is back in Spain finds she does not want to do without them, nothing wrong in that; I am sure in time like many she will realise that she can find other food stuff that is just as good if not better to take it's place.
No problem i just find it baffling how hard it is to find something as simple as cream- i have a weakness for italian food, hence wanting cream (carbonara) and garlic bread. But i have accepted my carbonara will have to be made with uht cream and i have to make my own garlic bread- try to perfect the latter, as last time i made it i put a ton of garlic and we nearly died of overdose.

ANYWAY while we are on the subject I NEED SOME HELP PLEASE.....

As its XMAS soon- my mother makes the xmas meals spanish style of course, with tons of seafood etc- which i LOVE. But i know mr featherbum will be missing his roast dinner so i will be making him one for boxing day.
Now... you know that stuff to make roast potatoes with, goose fat i think it is... does that exist in spain?? if so what is it called?

And the flour to make gravy- is that that maizena stuff? (i mean cornflour).

As for my yorkshire puddins, well not being bigheaded but i think i am a pretty good cook but i JUST CANT make the damn things! they always come out flat as pancakes

please help... thanks!!!!
Old Dec 7th 2008, 4:23 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by featherbum
No problem i just find it baffling how hard it is to find something as simple as cream- i have a weakness for italian food, hence wanting cream (carbonara) and garlic bread. But i have accepted my carbonara will have to be made with uht cream and i have to make my own garlic bread- try to perfect the latter, as last time i made it i put a ton of garlic and we nearly died of overdose.

As its XMAS soon- my mother makes the xmas meals spanish style of course, with tons of seafood etc- which i LOVE. But i know mr featherbum will be missing his roast dinner so i will be making him one for boxing day.
Now... you know that stuff to make roast potatoes with, goose fat i think it is... does that exist in spain?? if so what is it called?

As for my yorkshire puddins, well not being bigheaded but i think i am a pretty good cook but i JUST CANT make the damn things! they always come out flat as pancakes

When I came to live in Portugal,my yorkshire puddings died.....couldn't get them to rise at all,then someone told me the secret.....2 eggs (I always used 1 before)....now they are fab,hope that helps
Old Dec 7th 2008, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Nata fresca, I can't beleive you have a problem getting it as it is used in Spanish cooking, at least in the south anyway... you have become Britisified, look what this has all done to you, Sad

Any fat, manteca, fat from the turkey and even butter can be used if you are stuck. My wife uses the fat from the Turkey.

No problem And the flour to make gravy- is that that maizena stuff? (i mean cornflour).
Yes, but be careful with it as it can thicken very quickly, I know a friend who just uses flour

Last edited by Econ; Dec 7th 2008 at 4:37 am.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Econ;7045882]Sad Nata fresca, I can't beleive you have a problem getting it as it is used in Spanish cooking, at least in the south anyway... you have become Britisified, look what this has all done to you

QUOTE]

whats sad?

i live up north, no nata freca to be seen anywhere!!!

mmmm britishfied, maybe a bit, i lived there for 12 years and learnt all my housewifeyness there!! now i am learning spanish housewifeyness, so soon i shall be double-the-good housewife!

as for the manteca, isnt that more 'lardy' than the other stuff, meaning, isnt the goose fat better? does that exist here?
Old Dec 7th 2008, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cleri
When I came to live in Portugal,my yorkshire puddings died.....couldn't get them to rise at all,then someone told me the secret.....2 eggs (I always used 1 before)....now they are fab,hope that helps

thanks!
my yorks puddins have always been crap, independenlty of where i tried to make them

can i have your recipe please? (ie meaning exact amounts of everything please, cooking for 2...) xx

Last edited by featherbum; Dec 7th 2008 at 4:39 am.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

whats sad?

i live up north, no nata freca to be seen anywhere!!!
I mean sad when you have spent some time in the UK and come back to your home country and expect to get what you get in the UK, and you are from that part of Spain

Ask in a restaurant or someone/cook that is known in your area, fresh cream should not be a problem but in saying this I have not looked for fresh cream on my trips to the North.

mmmm britishfied, maybe a bit, i lived there for 12 years and learnt all my housewifeyness there!! now i am learning spanish housewifeyness, so soon i shall be double-the-good housewife!
Great, then get learning and introduce mr featherbum to some good Spanish food.

as for the manteca, isnt that more 'lardy' than the other stuff, meaning, isnt the goose fat better? does that exist here?
It is lard, but it can be used although what you use will affect the flavour of the roasties slightly, depends on your liking.

Here in the south yes, where you are not sure, although if you are that desperate you could buy a goose which I am sure you have in the North!.... have it for dinner and save some fat from the tin.

Last edited by Econ; Dec 7th 2008 at 4:54 am.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Econ
I mean sad when you have spent some time in the UK and come back to your home country and expect to get what you get in the UK, and you are from that part of Spain
I dont think you can call me sad really, i am hardly asking where the nearest fish and chips shop is, or where i can buy a steak and kidney pie- i am surprised i cant find fresh cream, which is a rather simple ingredient! thats all!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for enjoying/showing my lovely mr FB the spanish food, obviously we do that and very much enjoy it...!!!! shocked by your remark....

thanks for the cooking tips anyway!
Old Dec 7th 2008, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Can't get fresh cream here in Valencia either!!
Old Dec 7th 2008, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

I dont think you can call me sad really, i am hardly asking where the nearest fish and chips shop is, or where i can buy a steak and kidney pie- i am surprised i cant find fresh cream, which is a rather simple ingredient! thats all!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for enjoying/showing my lovely mr FB the spanish food, obviously we do that and very much enjoy it...!!!! shocked by your remark....

thanks for the cooking tips anyway!
Humm.... note the
Old Dec 7th 2008, 5:23 am

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

I'll start with the yorkshire puds

You want plain flour don't add any raising ingrediant 2 eggs and then you can either add mik a little at a time and mix until it is a batter, you don't want a thin batter you want it to have some body to it. I don't add all mike I like to add some fizzy water with a little milk. If you put to much liquid in then just add more flour the best way to measure this is to get yourself a glass jug put the eggs in and then add the milk and water until it reaches the 300 mil mark then add your plain flour mxing until yo get a thick running batter. I always make small puds so use a bun dish making 6 or 12 buns, place tiny drop of oil about one half teaspoon into the bottom of each then put in the oven the secrect of good yorksire is to have the fat/oil really hot after about 10 mins the fat will be hot enough take out the bun tray and then pour the mixtures into each one don't fill up to top about 3/4 full. Into oven about 180 in the middle and cook for about 25-40 mins really depends on the heat of the oven and the mixture. Featherbum it comes with practice so don't give up keep trying.

Roast tatties
Use the juice and fat from the meat that you cook you can add a little dripping from any meat also if you can buy lard from the butcher then that works fine as well.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

i am surprised i cant find fresh cream
I did a search on the net and have come across some recipes for Basque dishes that use Nata fresca... if it is in the local dishes you must be able to get it somewhere there!

Here we find it sold in bricks 'unless imported' and is produced by Spanish companies.

Note one of the web sites that references it is paisvasco.net

http://www.recetasycomidas.com/pais/...-buey-relleno/

http://www.paisvasco.net/recetas/setas.html

Last edited by Econ; Dec 7th 2008 at 5:37 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.