Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Supermarkets...better in Spain? or in UK?

Supermarkets...better in Spain? or in UK?

Old Dec 7th 2008, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Supermarkets...better in Spain? or in UK?

Originally Posted by rachelk

I haven't yet thought of a spice I wanted and not been able to buy it here. And although I've never looked for rosewater, you can buy orange flower water quite easily as well - would that do instead or is that showing my inferior palate?
Seem to be having a problem finding Coriander Leaf - fresh yes but not dried
Old Dec 7th 2008, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
They are wanted everywhere there is a Brit, mugs in Italy are paying 3€`s a tin for them.
they just terrify me
my first day EVER in england, the family i was with gave them to me and to be polite i ate them- i never got over the trauma
Old Dec 7th 2008, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

€250 at El Bulli doesn't sound too bad to me. We went to the cinema last night and then soup steak and a pud at the local Beefeater. With a botte of wine and a couple of beers 120 Quid
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:04 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by featherbum
they just terrify me
my first day EVER in england, the family i was with gave them to me and to be polite i ate them- i never got over the trauma
I hate baked beans:curse:
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:09 am

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Econ
Don't worry about it, some people just don't understand there is another world out there, they travel thinking and expect that everything should be the same as where they came from!

Sadly European countries are/will be loosing their cultures and uniqueness, things that adding to making travelling even more interesting... all because some people think that all countries in Europe should be the same... boring! where is the fun in going to Italy, stopping for lunch and expecting Steak and Kidney pie and mash?

Arko's comment that you quoted was pointed at me and I really hope your comment was not pointed at me, I have never once said that I prefer British food, and I certainly do not expect things to be all British for me here. I like many other people who live aboard like, enjoy and cook many dishes from many countries. There are times when I get fed up with eating the same food that is offered up in the restaurants local to where I live and I am finding it necessary to travel further a field to find different menus that do not included fish and meat swimming in olive oil. That is not the same as saying I don't like Spanish food, what that is saying is "The restaurants here where I live do not change there menus very often and the food becomes boring".

The supermarkets where I live offer a good range of food and I don't often have a problem sourcing the ingredients I need to cook a meal, regardless of it being Spanish, British, French, Italian, Indian, Chinese or whatever takes my fancy if they don't have what I want then I mend and make do. Because I am living in an particular country does not mean I have to eat only food from that country.

In another thread featherbum (sorry featherbum for bringing you into this) asked what supermarkets in Spain stocked fresh cream, sour cream and garlic bread. This coming from a young Spanish girl who has just moved back to Spain after living in the Uk for a few years where she has become accustomed to different food stuff. She has come to like these foods and now she is back in Spain finds she does not want to do without them, nothing wrong in that; I am sure in time like many she will realise that she can find other food stuff that is just as good if not better to take it's place.

In answer to the OP question I prefer supermarkets in the UK for variety and being able to find most things under one roof. Here in Chiclana I find I have to go to 3. 4 even 5 different shops to locate my needs, not complaining though as it gets me out of the house and a much needed break from Expat Forums. OH and as Jerezgirl said, I too have not found ricotta cheese in these parts so if anyone out there knows where I can find it or somethng that cooks the same as ricotta with the same flavor then please let me know. Ta.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:09 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I hate baked beans:curse:
I don`t mind them on toast with an egg on top on a cold day, like just recently, but there is no way i would pay 3€`s a tin. lol
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by jdr
I don`t mind them on toast with an egg on top on a cold day, like just recently, but there is no way i would pay 3€`s a tin. lol
Like you JDR I like a few on tost with a poached egg on top, in the local shop here they are 79 cents a large tin, they make for a quick, warming winter super beats a cheese sarny anyday Oh and I would not pay anything like 3 euro for a tin.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:24 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by featherbum
can you remind me which one it was please? i cant face re-reading the whole thread again
thanks!
I like strong cheese, but by asking we found a strong Spanish cheese that is lovely called Flor Esgueva.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I like strong cheese, but by asking we found a strong Spanish cheese that is lovely called Flor Esgueva.
Does it repeat itself then Mitz.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:26 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispy
Does it repeat itself then Mitz.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:32 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose you think that was funny!
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:34 am

You should take a rennie for that then.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:34 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I suppose you think that was funny!
I thought it was
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:35 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cleri
I thought it was
Don't encourage him, he can be a nightmare once he gets started, you wait till the puns come out!
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:37 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Don't encourage him, he can be a nightmare once he gets started, you wait till the puns come out!
ok,I have heard about his gin episodes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.