Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Supermarkets...better in Spain? or in UK?

Supermarkets...better in Spain? or in UK?

Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all
Default Re: Supermarkets...better in Spain? or in UK?

Does it matter tea, lunch whatever.

Of course it doesn't matter. I'm just saying you wouldn't find a Spanish person eating just a sandwich for lunch. You've had a house here for a long time so I'm just surprised you haven't noticed that. It's just different eating habits.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by featherbum
and who is saying that's all we eat?
where we live we have more restaurants with michelin stars than you'd be able to count.... seriously, i dont know where you are going out to eat or what the crack is here

and......WHATS WRONG WITH GUISOS?
and......why is the bread in jerez rock hard?
and......why do ppl in jerez only eat ham and cheese?
my god i think its time you consider moving, not surpirsed you are getting so cranky, i would too if that was my only nourishment!

and......WHATS WRONG WITH GUISOS? Where do I begin?
and......why is the bread in jerez rock hard? I've had the pleasure of eating hard bread in many places in Spain.
and......why do ppl in jerez only eat ham and cheese? Ah, silly me. I wrongly assumed that jamon y queso was a typical starter in many parts of Spain. I forgot that it is only the Jerezanos that eat it.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerezgirl
and......WHATS WRONG WITH GUISOS? Where do I begin?
and......why is the bread in jerez rock hard? I've had the pleasure of eating hard bread in many places in Spain.
and......why do ppl in jerez only eat ham and cheese? Ah, silly me. I wrongly assumed that jamon y queso was a typical starter in many parts of Spain. I forgot that it is only the Jerezanos that eat it.
caaaaaaalm caaaaaaaaaalm! someone get this girl some proper food before she kills me!v

please do elaborate on the guisos?! maybe you've had the misfortune of encountering some horrid ones? not being argumentative, just plainly wondering (this time).

in reply to the other comments, havent encountered the hard bread (yet!).
and as for jamon, are you talking about jabugo, paleta etc?? DONT YOU LIKE IT? oh and dunno about jerez but where i come from we have like, a million, trillion starters?
maybe this is a kind of 'culture' misunderstanding.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
thanks, even though some of us live in the UK now, our knowledge of Spain extends past the guide books and anecdotal stories.....

(and I'm not being sarky either.)
i think thats really nice! (again not sarky!) do teach us more (not sarky).

you used to live in spain right? if so when did you go back? i havent been to the forum for ages so i am a tad forgetful....
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all

caaaaaaalm caaaaaaaaaalm! someone get this girl some proper food before she kills me!v

please do elaborate on the guisos?! maybe you've had the misfortune of encountering some horrid ones? not being argumentative, just plainly wondering (this time).

and as for jamon, are you talking about jabugo, paleta etc?? DONT YOU LIKE IT? oh and dunno about jerez but where i come from we have like, a million, trillion starters?
I live in Huelva. Will only eat pata negra, the best there is. Now I've tasted the tastiest ham, why settle for anything less. If it's given to me, of course I won't be rude and turn it away; I think a lot of the complaints (not just in this thread, but in general) come about because people have tried to find the cheapest deal. If you buy a cheap meal, you can't complain if it's not good quality. I don't know of anywhere in my hometown in the UK where you can get an equivalent of the 'menu del dia' for 10 euros, and I would never dream of buying one.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

encodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by arko
I live in Huelva. Will only eat pata negra, the best there is. Now I've tasted the tastiest ham, why settle for anything less. If it's given to me, of course I won't be rude and turn it away; I think a lot of the complaints (not just in this thread, but in general) come about because people have tried to find the cheapest deal. If you buy a cheap meal, you can't complain if it's not good quality. I don't know of anywhere in my hometown in the UK where you can get an equivalent of the 'menu del dia' for 10 euros, and I would never dream of buying one.
Yes but even when you go out for a meal in some parts of Spain and pay 25/30 euros per head, vegetables fresh or bottled don't appear on the plate
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by arko
Does it matter tea, lunch whatever.

Of course it doesn't matter. I'm just saying you wouldn't find a Spanish person eating just a sandwich for lunch. You've had a house here for a long time so I'm just surprised you haven't noticed that. It's just different eating habits.
Well sandwich is very common esp if I'm working. I just have cheese sandwiches for lunch & a fruit. It doesn't matter which country you're in.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

encodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
Well sandwich is very common esp if I'm working. I just have cheese sandwiches for lunch & a fruit. It doesn't matter which country you're in.
And why not?
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Yes, I am referring to Jabugo, etc. I USED to like it, but I've just had so much of it now that I'm sick of it.

My OH is Spanish (mentioned that earlier) and consequently we often eat out in a large group (his family) and I am the only foreigner. Being the minority I never get to choose where we go or what we eat and so consequently we seem to go from one venta to the next. They ALWAYS have a couple of plates of jamon to begin, maybe a revuelto, maybe an ensalada mixta or two. Always followed by a plate of grilled fish or maybe a steak with the usual patatas fritas.

I'm just baffled at how they NEVER get tired of eating the same old thing, week after week, year after year. We eat out in restaurants at least a couple of times a week and I dread having to eat with his family because I just don't enjoy it anymore. He is a bit more "international" now so if it is just the two of us eating alone we can be a bit more adventurous, but wild horses wouldn't drag his family anywhere other than a typical venta!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:40 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

i think thats really nice! (again not sarky!) do teach us more (not sarky).

you used to live in spain right? if so when did you go back? i havent been to the forum for ages so i am a tad forgetful....
not been back, a massive change of plan, which in hindsight was a bloody good idea....

Lived in Spain for years, the last couple with my Basque fiance.

one of the finest chefs, if not THE finest chef in the world is Ferran Adrià who owns El Bulli, google it if you don't know about it, pure genius if food is your passion!!!

It is said that monks in the north of Spain wrote a book of regional recipes hundreds of years ago and this book was taken to France and made up the basis of French Haute Cuisine.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:41 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by encodeme
Yes but even when you go out for a meal in some parts of Spain and pay 25/30 euros per head, vegetables fresh or bottled don't appear on the plate
The Menu del Dia (commonly 7-10 Euros) normally has plenty of starters that are composed partly or totally of veggies or saladstuff eg guisantes or Habas con Jamon, Ensalada Mixta, gazpacho, pote gallego, fabada asturiana, pisto etc.
Is it the main course you're referring to (that normally has little by way of guarnacion)?
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
The Menu del Dia (commonly 7-10 Euros) normally has plenty of starters that are composed partly or totally of veggies or saladstuff eg guisantes or Habas con Jamon, Ensalada Mixta, gazpacho, pote gallego, fabada asturiana, pisto etc.
Is it the main course you're referring to (that normally has little by way of guarnacion)?
I guess so but even the starters do involve any of those wonderful vegetables form the markets.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
not been back, a massive change of plan, which in hindsight was a bloody good idea....

Lived in Spain for years, the last couple with my Basque fiance.

one of the finest chefs, if not THE finest chef in the world is Ferran Adrià who owns El Bulli, google it if you don't know about it, pure genius if food is your passion!!!

It is said that monks in the north of Spain wrote a book of regional recipes hundreds of years ago and this book was taken to France and made up the basis of French Haute Cuisine.
At a mere, what is it now, 250€ per head? and a year and a half waiting list I find it a tad hard to get a table.!!

He's got a hotel with restaurant just outside of Seville....that might be a bit more accessible, but of course it's not the "authentic experience" as Adrià isn't based there.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
I think you've misunderstood me. Spanish people, in general (not sure about Madrid or Barcelona, I've heard it's changed a lot there) have quite a long lunch break. I don't know anyone (Spanish) who has ever had a sandwich for lunch as they normally have time to eat (or make) something a little more elaborate. When I'm eating alone for lunch, which is very rarely, I might make a sandwich as I know noone is going to laugh at me or persuade me to eat out. I'm presuming you are not Spanish.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerezgirl
At a mere, what is it now, 250€ per head? and a year and a half waiting list I find it a tad hard to get a table.!!

He's got a hotel with restaurant just outside of Seville....that might be a bit more accessible, but of course it's not the "authentic experience" as Adrià isn't based there.
I don't think it will be on my restaurant list at that price. Thats 10 meals out for me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.