Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Supermarkets...better in Spain? or in UK?

Supermarkets...better in Spain? or in UK?

Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarkets...better in Spain? or in UK?

Originally Posted by Jerezgirl
And it would be nice if when eating out they could make the effort to put something like the thousands of different goats cheeses on their salads to make them a bit more interesting for me. I don't expect Spanish eateries to provide BRITISH food, I just expect them to make a bit more effort with their own limp efforts.

jeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzz some people's ignorance never fails to amaze me.
i am actually offended by your, sorry to repeat myself, ignorance.
Either that or you live in some backward village in the back of beyond where the only restaurant available to you is one of those where women sit outside with black cloths on their heads and if a donkey walks past is the highlight of their day.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Nearly all the salads on the CDS have the nasty tinned asparagus on, sometimes those spicy mixed pickles out of a jar too. Spanish kids seem to live on chunks of bread, thats why they are nearly all overweight.

Spanish lamb is like scrag ends anyway, they do a nice Pork though. Lots of variable menus in Spanish cooking,fish with bread, pork chop and soggy chips, pork in pepper sauce, chicken in pepper sauce, with chips of course, not forgetting the boring paella, real gourmet cooks aren't they Not forgetting the apology for a fish stew with all the waste bits in.

Even their fresh Tuna is not good as they don't kill it correctly and it is bruised.
I think we've got the point that the Spanish don't worry too much about their salads or necessarily turn to lamb when they want a meat dish. It's food for thought that all the things you are looking for don't really appeal to people here. Different taste buds, I guess.

But I think you're on a non-starter if you're trying to say that the Spanish don't have an interesting and tasty cuisine- please tell me if I've misinerpreted your rant (real gourmet cooks aren't they, is a stab at irony, I'm guessing.

I think it's a telling sign that it's still very difficult to find ready meals to the extent they are found back in the UK. My neice is definitely not a good cook like her mother, but she'd never dare buy a ready meal or a pasta sauce. I think she' be laughed out of the town.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

encodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by featherbum
Either that or you live in some backward village in the back of beyond where the only restaurant available to you is one of those where women sit outside with black cloths on their heads and if a donkey walks past is the highlight of their day.
Ah, you've met my mother. Yes I'm sorry but she does have a penchant for the donkey walking
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by encodeme
Ah, you've met my mother. Yes I'm sorry but she does have a penchant for the donkey walking
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all

They take ideas from other cultures, other cuisines and make changes to their own in order to make it even better.

Any examples?
I'm not an expert on Spanish cuisine but I think it's pretty obvious that from the beginning it has been influenced from other cultures. Spanish food as we know has been heavily influenced by the Moorish and Jewish cultures and Spanish chefs (particularly from the Basque country and Catalonia) have gone abroad and trained and learnt new styles and come back and opened restaurants. Like all food from different countries, it's also been influenced by French and Italian cooking. Furthermore, in the cities there are French, Morroccon, Chinese, African, Serbian, Indian Portuguese and British (etc.) reataurants to suit everyone.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

. Spanish kids seem to live on chunks of bread, thats why they are nearly all overweight.

where do you ppl live!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:48 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arko
I'm not an expert on Spanish cuisine but I think it's pretty obvious that from the beginning it has been influenced from other cultures. Spanish food as we know has been heavily influenced by the Moorish and Jewish cultures and Spanish chefs (particularly from the Basque country and Catalonia) have gone abroad and trained and learnt new styles and come back and opened restaurants. Like all food from different countries, it's also been influenced by French and Italian cooking. Furthermore, in the cities there are French, Morroccon, Chinese, African, Serbian, Indian Portuguese and British (etc.) reataurants to suit everyone.
to an extent, but so has EVERY single other countries but do remember, the first recipe book on gastronomy was Spanish and it is now believed that it was Spanish monks that introduced haute cuisine to France.

As the old saying goes...

In each meal I eat a thousand countries.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

where do you ppl live!
the spain some of you talk about is just errrr i dunno, maybe some of you are in the wrong forum?
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
to an extent, but so has EVERY single other countries but do remember, the first recipe book on gastronomy was Spanish and it is now believed that it was Spanish monks that introduced haute cuisine to France.

impressed by your knowledge (i am not being sarky this time)
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

jeeeezzzz, some people's ignorance never fails to amaze me either.

My nickname is Jerez girl. I'm a girl, from Jerez.

Population. two hundred thousand.

If I were ignorant I would probably be content eating little more than ham, cheese, puchero, guisos and rock hard bread.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:52 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

I have seen Riccota here, maybe in Alcampo. Seen some good bread around too....if you want to pay around 3 euro for a small loaf
Small seeded wholemeal loaf in my local Supersol 4.75 euro nearly had a fit, have to say I would kill for a decent wholemeal/wholwheat loaf just can't be found here at a decent price. Here being Chiclana, so if anyone knows different please let me know.

I think my real problem is that Spanish supermarkets (almost) only stock Spanish food, whereas British supermarkets are much more international.
QUOTE]

I understand your frustration. I'm just trying to work out what international food you can't find in your supermarket.
five spice, have looked everywhere can't find it.

Yep variety is not a word associated with Spanish cooking...bring on the dead fish or lump of meat...grilled or fried sir? Vegatables...what are they sir?
Have you ever dared to ask for a mixed salad with your meal? Oh My God....strips of soggy lettuce (that horrible cheap variety), a couple slices of tomato and if you're really lucky you'll get some white asparagus (from a tin of course) and some tuna (also tinned). Oh and don't forget the rock hard white roll that they put on the side. Mmmmm. (Not).

Where's the rocket? or any other NON SOGGY lettuce variety? Where's the walnuts, goats cheese, honey, grapes, or any of the other million interesting and tasty things that you can put with a salad???? Nope, just soggy lettuce for me!

Jerezegirl you should come down to La Barrosa in Chiclana you get a great salad there, can even get one without the tuna and white aspargus, we are only a 30 min drive from Jerez, and they are crunchy, crunchy, very very crunchy.

I don't think I've ever met a Spanish person who's had a sandwich for lunch. Maybe for tea, but never for lunch.
Does it matter tea, lunch whatever.

Originally Posted by jdr
Most salads are a meal on their own, trouble is most come with Tuna. ;-(
Not where we are, great Ensalada de la Casa not a whiff of tuna

[QUOTE=Mitzyboy;7042888]Its definately an area thing then
We have fresh milk
we have lamb (albeit you have to search)
we have sauces
we have an international section at carrefour

We have a varied diet and we long ago accepted that as we live on Spain the supermarkets are going to sell a lot of Spanish foodstuffs.

I didn't come to be a tourist here either, but we have the best of both worlds it seems

Agree Mitz about it being an area thing, here in Chiclana really hard to find skate, if I go to Puerto Real or San Lucar (Spelling) it's coming out the woodwork in the shops.

When I bought my home here 6 years ago you could't get anything that wasn't classed as Spainish but over the last year to 18 months the supermarkets are beginning to stock a lot more International stuff. I don't mean ready made meals or just British foods but there is more German foods and a bigger choice of wine. Please don't jump on me and say why would I want wine from else where when Spain has such good ones. Yes I know they do and I love them but then I love pie and mash but I would want it everyday.
I wish there was more choice of low fat products but having said that the choice is getting so much better.

And for any one that is intrested Supersol had Christmas Crackers, now that is a first for down here, usually have to go to the Brit shop or Gib for them.

Last edited by crispy; Dec 6th 2008 at 4:01 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rugbymatt

Very true.

As another saying goes....

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

If I were ignorant I would probably be content eating little more than ham, cheese, puchero, guisos and rock hard bread.
and who is saying that's all we eat?
where we live we have more restaurants with michelin stars than you'd be able to count.... seriously, i dont know where you are going out to eat or what the crack is here

and......WHATS WRONG WITH GUISOS?
and......why is the bread in jerez rock hard?
and......why do ppl in jerez only eat ham and cheese?
my god i think its time you consider moving, not surpirsed you are getting so cranky, i would too if that was my only nourishment!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

encodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant future

Yep I think there are some people not paying attention.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:03 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

impressed by your knowledge (i am not being sarky this time)
thanks, even though some of us live in the UK now, our knowledge of Spain extends past the guide books and anecdotal stories.....

(and I'm not being sarky either.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.