Wikiposts

Sterling/Euro

Old May 8th 2012, 7:26 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sterling/Euro

Originally Posted by amideislas
The perception in the markets following a Greek default would cause massive uncertainty and chaos.

But I reckon the direct economic effect of Greece leaving the Euro would be nil or even a plus, notwithstanding having paved a path for others to follow. I'd have to believe others would follow, and that would be the nail in the coffin.
But what about all the money thats been lent to Greece?? Will they have to pay it back?? Those who bought Greek bonds??? Thats where the mess will be. Will Greece be declared bankrupt? Wil tey still be able to import essential goods? Will they become such a casualty that they will need international aid???

It seems to me that the sensible (undemocratic) way of sorting this is for the EU/Germany to go in and take over the running of the country??

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; May 8th 2012 at 7:29 pm.
Old May 8th 2012, 7:29 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
But what about all the money thats been lent to Greece?? Will they have to pay it back?? Those who bought Greek bonds??? Thats where the mess will be. Will Greece be declared bankrupt? Wil tey still be able to import essential goods? Will they become such a casualty that they will need international aid???

Jo xxx
Probably end up asking the EU for another bailout
Old May 8th 2012, 7:33 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

There is no mechanism for countries to leave the Eurozone, and we are controlled by the markets. If the markets don't like it, they will collapse, like they did in the thirties, and bankers will be leaping out of windows again.

I watched some fat Greek, the leader of the Greek neo Nazis, say on TV something like, 'Foreigners, get out of my country.' The nationalists all over Europe, including the UK, are saying the same thing.

A little man with a funny moustache said it in Germany the last time the markets collapsed, and everybody thought he was just a nutter with only some ten percent of people voting for him, but the ten percent soon turned into eighty percent when the unemployed people became hungry.
Old May 8th 2012, 7:37 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
There is no mechanism for countries to leave the Eurozone, and we are controlled by the markets. If the markets don't like it, they will collapse, like they did in the thirties, and bankers will be leaping out of windows again.

I watched some fat Greek, the leader of the Greek neo Nazis, say on TV something like, 'Foreigners, get out of my country.' The nationalists all over Europe, including the UK, are saying the same thing.

A little man with a funny moustache said it in Germany the last time the markets collapsed, and everybody thought he was just a nutter with only some ten percent of people voting for him, but the ten percent soon turned into eighty percent when the unemployed people became hungry.
There are similarities, but hopefully the world is a different place, but there are alarming issues that are the same???

Jo xxx
Old May 8th 2012, 7:41 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

...and I'd be pretty worried about that Greek army, navy and air force, and all those Greek nukes.

But seriously, we're not at that point ...yet. As Jojo says, it's a different world. But you never know... people do funny things when they're hungry and believe it's the result of an outside force...

Last edited by amideislas; May 8th 2012 at 7:44 pm.
Old May 8th 2012, 7:44 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

What Europe should do is deal with this mess swiftly. Greece needs to declare bankruptcy. If one or two more follow write it off, take the medicine and start to rebuild the economy. Delaying the inevitable hurts all. What happens to the Euro? I haven't a clue.
Old May 8th 2012, 7:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
What Europe should do is deal with this mess swiftly. Greece needs to declare bankruptcy. If one or two more follow write it off, take the medicine and start to rebuild the economy. Delaying the inevitable hurts all. What happens to the Euro? I haven't a clue.
Bit early (or late?) for you, isn't it?
Old May 8th 2012, 7:48 pm

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Bit early (or late?) for you, isn't it?
Just after midnight.
Old May 8th 2012, 7:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Just after midnight.
Well, I welcome your presence here, but just out of curiosity, what interests you in this forum? You aren't in Kansas anymore, Dorothy.
Old May 8th 2012, 7:56 pm

Well, I welcome your presence here, but just out of curiosity, what interests you in this forum? You aren't in Kansas anymore, Dorothy.
I can't speak for your region but in the US there are quite a few americans on BE. What interests me on this thread is that what happens with Europe will likely effect us all. Just putting my bit in, ignore if you see fit. Never been to Kansas. And please don't call me Dorothy.

Last edited by Beaverstate; May 8th 2012 at 8:01 pm. Reason: Add on
Old May 8th 2012, 8:29 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I welcome the views of our overseas cousins on Europe, and it just goes to show how important the Euro issue is to non EU members.

The Asian markets fell on the news of the French and Greek elections over the weekend, the whole world is watching.
Old May 8th 2012, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by HBG
I welcome the views of our overseas cousins on Europe, and it just goes to show how important the Euro issue is to non EU members.

The Asian markets fell on the news of the French and Greek elections over the weekend, the whole world is watching.
True.
Old May 8th 2012, 8:34 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
....... and bankers will be leaping out of windows again.
Well they do say that every cloud has a silver lining.

Problem is, that unlike the rest of us, they'll likely land on a great thick mattress stuffed full of Bin Ladins.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; May 8th 2012 at 8:39 pm.
Old May 8th 2012, 8:45 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

When the debt ridden countries in latin america and africa were bailed out their debt was written off as foreign aid. IMHO charity begins at home and Greece deserves similar compassion from the IMF.
In the mid-20th century, the 1953 Agreement on German External Debts, which substantially reduced German's war reparations, is a notable example of international debt relief. Part of the reasoning was that German's World War I reparations were deeply resented in Germany, and credited internationally as a cause of World War II, and thus debt relief helped reconciliation and peace in Europe.
It seems this time the (jack)boot is on the other foot?
Old May 8th 2012, 9:02 pm
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by missile
When the debt ridden countries in latin america and africa were bailed out their debt was written off as foreign aid. IMHO charity begins at home and Greece deserves similar compassion from the IMF.
But they lied to get into the EU, they've done nothing they were supposed to with the money they were loaned, just squandered it for greed and self interest. They are still in the situation whereby the big greek shipping magnets and companies refuse to pay taxes and dont see why they should. Their government at all levels is the most corrupt in Europe.

Jo xxx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.