Wikiposts

Sterling/Euro

Old May 10th 2012, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sterling/Euro

Originally Posted by Domino
I worked for an American based company, in sales we had to spend hours each day filling in an NCR form showing our activity, companies visited, outcome of visit etc etc. One Monday I was in the office and saw the department secretary opening the weekly reports from my colleagues. She just put a tick against the names of those who had sent in reports, noted the number of calls for the week and filed them in a large folder - last week's had already been disposed of.
No one read them, it was all a "numbers" exercise, proving you were doing your paperwork.

Team days are a waste of time. How can anyone expect adults putting up a childs tent with a piece missing to build a team.!! Especially when they never work together and have travelled from the farthest part of the country just to play games.
How can even a team that do work in the same office playing blind mans bluff "gell" into a "team" when they have no reason to even speak to each other after work has finished.?
Teamwork comes about by identical payscales for every worker, all being able to take over for a colleague in an emergency, all workers actually doing the job properly not missing bits out "cos I can't be bothered and it don't matter anyway".
Ask any of Britains Armed Forces about teamwork and shudder.

Pay disparity is one thing managers seem to revel in, quoting "regional differences" when discussing same job description in 2 buildings 80miles apart.
One company paid the same hourly rate for a girl on reception at head office as was being paid to the site manager of a building worth over £10million, responsible for all cleaning, maintenance and H&S.
One HR Director gave in to sales demands when including their commission and bonuses into the calculation of Performance Related Pay - reducing the amount paid to the rest of the staff by over 15%

When lowly staff members make cost saving suggestions they are informed they "don't see the bigger picture".

It can be great working for some companies.................
This is a marvellous illustration of the type of stuff I was talking about - and all of it taking place in the private sector. That's where all of it was imported into the public sector from - and all of it expensive, useless rubbish that takes public sector workers away from performing their primary purpose.

I completely agree with you about the "team work" thing. I also could never see the point of organisation wide 'away days' being billed as a good thing because "it's good to put a face to a name". Working in Manchester, personally I couldn't have cared less if every member of staff in our London or Glasgow offices had been a morbidly obese, snaggle toothed old crone as long as they did the job they were employed to do and did it well.
Old May 10th 2012, 9:01 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if any of you saw the recent Portillo program that tried to get to the bottom of the whole Greece vs Germany tension and the Euro crisis, it was really fascinating. Not one person, politician or person on the street in any country either Greece or Germany wanted to see the end of the Euro, not even the absolutely broke Greek family he stayed with who had all been forced to move into one home, more than 3 generations and lots of bodies in a tiny little home. That aside it was interesting to hear what the politicians were saying about the whole crisis and how to get out of it and time and time again it came down to a small collection of issues, one of which was the whole export market, especially China. It was fascinating to hear people talk about austerity and how it was stifling growth but then when pressed none would agree that a return to unchecked spending could help. The issue of defaulting came up and it was widely agreed that there was absolutely no way that Greece would default, that it was just used to win an election, which obviously didn't happen, and it went into some of the history behind the Maastricht treaty and how none of the countries who ever signed it ever had an intention of honouring it, especially in places like controlling spending and centralising tax issues.
Its a pity Portillo isn't in power any more, his insight and intelligence is sorely missed.
Old May 10th 2012, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Government employees are the same worldwide. Their own interests come first, and second. If anything else is left.... They also have the politicians under the same system as they. Where I am, I understand even the overseers are covered by the same system. That includes the final deciders, the judges, also covered. No case has ever been decided against the PERS. Public Employees Retirement System. The tremendous amount of debt is written in for years to come. I understand" Government servants" receiving retirement benefits. However they are quite unbelievable and utterly unsustainable here and I suspect most other places in the western world. Please excuse my frustrated rant.
State employee State Pension
Old May 10th 2012, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Not sure if any of you saw the recent Portillo program that tried to get to the bottom of the whole Greece vs Germany tension and the Euro crisis, it was really fascinating. Not one person, politician or person on the street in any country either Greece or Germany wanted to see the end of the Euro, not even the absolutely broke Greek family he stayed with who had all been forced to move into one home, more than 3 generations and lots of bodies in a tiny little home. That aside it was interesting to hear what the politicians were saying about the whole crisis and how to get out of it and time and time again it came down to a small collection of issues, one of which was the whole export market, especially China. It was fascinating to hear people talk about austerity and how it was stifling growth but then when pressed none would agree that a return to unchecked spending could help. The issue of defaulting came up and it was widely agreed that there was absolutely no way that Greece would default, that it was just used to win an election, which obviously didn't happen, and it went into some of the history behind the Maastricht treaty and how none of the countries who ever signed it ever had an intention of honouring it, especially in places like controlling spending and centralising tax issues.
Its a pity Portillo isn't in power any more, his insight and intelligence is sorely missed.
Yes, I commented yesterday in the crisis thread. Good programme.
Interesting programme on the BBC last night with Michael Portillo, mainly about Greece and Germany. In Greece, hundreds of Porsche Cayennes for sale, they bought them in their hundreds, harbours full of exotic yachts purchased by those avoiding paying taxes, state of the art Siemens trains all produced in Germany. He spoke to top politicians, offering them all the chance to stick with the euro or revert to the drachma or deutsch mark, everyone opted for the euro.
Old May 10th 2012, 9:37 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
This is a marvellous illustration of the type of stuff I was talking about - and all of it taking place in the private sector. That's where all of it was imported into the public sector from - and all of it expensive, useless rubbish that takes public sector workers away from performing their primary purpose.

I completely agree with you about the "team work" thing. I also could never see the point of organisation wide 'away days' being billed as a good thing because "it's good to put a face to a name". Working in Manchester, personally I couldn't have cared less if every member of staff in our London or Glasgow offices had been a morbidly obese, snaggle toothed old crone as long as they did the job they were employed to do and did it well.
but "team work" "team building" etc etc all comes from the fluffy bunnies who want to report up the chain. "putting a face to a name" can be achieved by having a department "face board" and you look at the person when speaking over the phone - and you actually get a "rapport" !!

in my receptionist example - an 18yo fresh from a hairdressing salon was employed by her aunty who would be her supervisor, when challenged about the salary situation replied "well I have to look after the family". She actually seemed to think it was alright !!

Even the "Bowls Nite" failed because it was competitive.
IMHE more team building was achieved by going out for an evening meal and long drinks afterwards when everyone has relaxed and become "human" again.
One guy had attended although his daughter was ill in hospital, when he got back from lengthy fone call to check on her he was welcomed back like a lost brother and had to give all an update. That is TEAMWORK !

For many reasons certain people just never completely gel into the team, eventually becoming ostricised, left out etc. That should never be allowed to happen, they should be included even if they cannot/will not play.
You cannot be a Team Player if never allowed to Play with The Team

Finally - A Team Manager should not only have total control over The Team but should take Total Responsibility for The Team. So so many are so scared of their pension, job etc they never ever learn to take that responsibility - and their managers never see it, even when the Blame Game is being played.

Rant over..
Old May 10th 2012, 9:40 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I think with the series of blunders recently he would be of great use, he lost his seat to a dickhead who didnt stay too long

But some of his words must come from writers who are trying to meet the objectives of the programme, playing up playing down Europe, Euro etc.
Even when he did the excellent Bradshaw series of programmes he had scriptwriters.
Old May 10th 2012, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

Originally Posted by missile
It is a bit like not being able to pay the minimum balance on your credit card.
....and then asking for your limit to be raised again and again and again!
Old May 10th 2012, 10:41 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Human nature is of greed and selfishness, it has to be its all part of self preservation/survival. People will always fight for what they have and always want more. Those who tell them they cant have it will be the enemy.

A generalisation I know, but if you have the majority thinking like this (and they are), then its gonna take a heavy hand to turn things round and I hate to think how this is all going to end

Jo xxx
Old May 10th 2012, 10:44 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
I think with the series of blunders recently he would be of great use, he lost his seat to a dickhead who didnt stay too long

But some of his words must come from writers who are trying to meet the objectives of the programme, playing up playing down Europe, Euro etc.
Even when he did the excellent Bradshaw series of programmes he had scriptwriters.
Yeah, maybe I should have made it clear that in general, not just on the basis of this program, however good it was. He used to be a guest on the Politics show and was very good on that, often more than happy to praise opposition parties and politicians, unlike so many of the scum suckers in power and in particular in opposition at the moment.
Old May 11th 2012, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
The famous blame game is difficult to avoid. One commentator mentioned the police demonstration yesterday, concluding that they are lucky to retire after 30 years. On the surface, that's a righteous criticism, but after going to work in an anti-stab vest for 30 years, wouldn't they get worn out earlier than other workers?

Our soldiers take similar early retirement, I would imagine they also get worn out quicker after seeing close friends die in some godforsaken desert and others back in civvy street hobbling about with false limbs.

And prison officers? Everybody hates them - what an easy job they've got just turning keys on their fellow citizens. But what fellow citizens have to face murderous psychopaths on a daily basis?

And why should firemen retire early? Christ, all they do is turn a hose on and spray a fire somewhere. OK, a few of them might die when they try and rescue people from burning buildings, but that's just bad luck, isn't it?

Our public sector is bloated, but we need to be careful in unbloating it.
The truly tragic case of the five children who died in a house fire in Derby today illustrates why members of the emergency services should be valued and rewarded for what they do - in what job in the private sector would people be expected/prepared to put their lives on the line for others as they do? Imagine how the brave men who went into that house to try to save the children must be feeling tonight - and they will be only too well aware of the concerted Government and media campaign calling them lazy, greedy and not entitled to a decent pension. Would any sane person really expect people still to be doing that job at the age of 60, let alone 67 or 68?

My former brother-in-law and his wife lost their 8 month old baby in a house fire, and as we lived opposite them at the time we had to witness the Fire Service's efforts to get her out in time. That's over 25 years ago and I still go cold when events like today's bring it back to mind.
Old May 11th 2012, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
The truly tragic case of the five children who died in a house fire in Derby today illustrates why members of the emergency services should be valued and rewarded for what they do - in what job in the private sector would people be expected/prepared to put their lives on the line for others as they do?
Lots of jobs have their own rescue services, people that risk their lives to save others. Coal mine rescue teams, oil refineries/rigs have their own fire crews, all trained in firefighting, breathing apparatus, RNLI, Coast Guards etc rely on volunteers to risk their lives on a daily basis. I have respect for the fire service, and have been involved with them in previous employment, but there are a lot more dangerous jobs, even driving a lorry has a much higher risk of being killed in service. The actual number of firefighters that do die in service is thankfully very low, there are lot riskier less well paid jobs that never retire at 50 on a pension. Near me there are several refineries and over the years there have been many fires and explosions, and whilst I don't know of any FF killed I know of several refinery workers, three in an explosion last year alone. So I know what they do and appreciate what they do, but there is never a shortage of volunteers, and in London alone there are thousands that have second jobs, even finishing a night shift and going straight out to drive a black cab, not too many of those jobs about.
Old May 11th 2012, 9:07 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Very few difficult, dangerous and dirty jobs are well paid.
Old May 11th 2012, 9:10 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Yet commentators still berate the public services for being able to retire earlier.

Do they really believe that a 65-year old soldier would be of any use in a fire fight in the desert? Or a 65-year old fireman climbing a ladder to rescue people?

I've got visions of a 65-year old copper limping down the street with a walking stick when a yob pulls a knife on him. I suppose he could hit him with his walking stick. I'm being distracted, maybe he's got a rhythm stick.

Hit me, hit me . . . .
Old May 11th 2012, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Yet commentators still berate the public services for being able to retire earlier.

Do they really believe that a 65-year old soldier would be of any use in a fire fight in the desert? Or a 65-year old fireman climbing a ladder to rescue people?

I've got visions of a 65-year old copper limping down the street with a walking stick when a yob pulls a knife on him. I suppose he could hit him with his walking stick. I'm being distracted, maybe he's got a rhythm stick.

Hit me, hit me . . . .
Fireman can drive a fire engine at 65 , go round schools teaching safety methods etc.
Similar jobs are available to older police officers.

I really do believe the age of retirement for both of these services should be raised to a more realistic age.

If you look at the number of significant fires attended these days it is far less they when less less stringent building regulations existed. Add to that the H&S brigade insisting on risk assessments etc. before going into buildings and IMO it's not the dangerous job it's made out to be.
A fireman I knew, who incidentally had 2 other jobs, said the worst job was cutting bodies out of cars, or jumpers in front of trains. Not nice but not dangerous.
Old May 11th 2012, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Fireman can drive a fire engine at 65 , go round schools teaching safety methods etc.
Similar jobs are available to older police officers.
We are always being told that the lack of police on the street is due to the paperwork and backroom requirements. Older officers should be able to cover most of these situations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.