Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

: Smoking ban 1-July-2007 !!! :

: Smoking ban 1-July-2007 !!! :

Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:28 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: : Smoking ban 1-July-2007 !!! :

Originally Posted by leighbloke
What he said!!
Whats the matter, has your local working mans club stopped you smoking your woodbines?
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Whats the matter, has your local working mans club stopped you smoking your woodbines?
The Golf Club of which I am a member, voted to ban the use of tobacco products within the clubhouse, from 1st Jan 2006 - the same time they decided to allow Lady members into the Gents bar!!!!
So I've been puffing my tabs outside for 18 months now.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:37 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

The Golf Club of which I am a member, voted to ban the use of tobacco products within the clubhouse, from 1st Jan 2006 - the same time they decided to allow Lady members into the Gents bar!!!!
So I've been puffing my tabs outside for 18 months now.
Not sure what is worse, golf club or Working mans club!
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:37 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Government figures reckon minimum 600,000 smokers will quit this week ..

so lets do a few sums ;

lets take a minimum average of 20 a day per smoker @ £ 5 a pack of which we all know from Spains pricing £ 4.25 of that is TAX ..

So we have 600,000 x £ 4,25 = £ 2.550,000 a day !!!!

or on a 7 day week = £ 17.850,000 a week !!!

Yearly = £ 928.200,000 !! Yes it is 928 Million in lost revenue , so i wonder where this is going to come in from ?
Hmmmmmmm i wonder seeings as nobody says a word when fuel goes up what you reckon ??
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:40 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Government figures reckon minimum 600,000 smokers will quit this week ..

so lets do a few sums ;

lets take a minimum average of 20 a day per smoker @ £ 5 a pack of which we all know from Spains pricing £ 4.25 of that is TAX ..

So we have 600,000 x £ 4,25 = £ 2.550,000 a day !!!!

or on a 7 day week = £ 17.850,000 a week !!!

Yearly = £ 928.200,000 !! Yes it is 928 Million in lost revenue , so i wonder where this is going to come in from ?
Hmmmmmmm i wonder seeings as nobody says a word when fuel goes up what you reckon ??
any idea how much is spent on the clean up bill for lung cancer and heart disease as well as all the other nasties from smoking that the NHS has to pay for?

There is your saving there.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what is worse, golf club or Working mans club!
I would say the Golf club, but if I'm paying a grand a year membership I may as well take advantage of the relatively cheap beer.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:42 pm
Straw Man.

I would say the Golf club, but if I'm paying a grand a year membership I may as well take advantage of the relatively cheap beer.
a grand a year!!

Just pay to play.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:44 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

any idea how much is spent on the clean up bill for lung cancer and heart disease as well as all the other nasties from smoking that the NHS has to pay for?

There is your saving there.
Well i would say that a smoker should take preferance seeings as you can see from just the 600,000 who will give up they have brought the hospital
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

a grand a year!!

Just pay to play.
Then I wouldn't get the cheap beer - fool!!!
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:47 pm
Straw Man.

Then I wouldn't get the cheap beer - fool!!!
bloody northerners, always on the scrounge!
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:50 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Hi Jandy I expect you are feeling like a lot of smokers today, I personally don't smoke I have enough wrong with me without adding fuel to the fire, so to speak.

I have no problem with people who want to smoke, I stopped going to pubs a long time ago, could never afford it when the kids were young and then when I was at work we had our regular nights out but never really took much notice of the smoke, having said that I always knew the next day that I had been in a pub. I always went to lunch and tea with the smokers as they are usually more fun to be with and with out exception they were always very aware of my not smoking and made a point of always sitting down wind to me and never held the ciggies in the hand nearest to me. Of course this could have been because I was their boss and wanted to keep on my good side

I too have wondered what will happen when the government begin to realise that the old bank balance is going to suffer because of the smoking ban after all as you say a lot of tax here and it will have to be made up somewhere along the line. Oh well I'm sure the drinkers will be next in line for higher tax along with more car tax and petrol tax.

My son-in-laws mother smokes, she lives in Ireland and I remember just before Ireland went smoke free she was saying it would never work and that pubs would be empty, her family were thrilled as they thought at last mammy will stop smoking. The funny thing is when I see here a couple of years back she said that the smoking ban has done wonders for Ireland's sense of community, as everyone in the pub goes out for a fag break together and stands outside putting the world to rights whilst their drinks are all left line up on the bar then they go back in and carry on with pub talk until it is time to go back outside again for another one. Everytime she was back in the UK she would never smoke in a restaurant or in anyones home she said she much preferred to go out side and smoke now as she liked to meet new people.

From a purely selfish point of view I won't miss the smoke when I am eating or having a drink when next in the UK but I do feel that this could be the start of the slippery slope and somewhere along the line all those that are in favour of the ban will one day be in the situation where something they enjoy will be seen as being illegal. Have good 2nd July much love Jandyxx

Last edited by crispy; Jul 1st 2007 at 10:55 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 11:00 pm
Banned

Good post Crispy .

If the government really are concerned about NHS and peoples health they should simply ban alcohol !!!

Stop all the Saturday night fights , Make the towns safer , Police will not have to keep picking up the pieces every Pub kick out time , etc and no long term kidney problems etc..

But wont do that as there all pee heads themselves no doubt ?

I personaly will keep smoking until i get to Spain as a point of principle !!

As its a silly law which is just the start of more to follow ..
Old Jul 1st 2007, 11:03 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Good post Crispy .
they should simply ban alcohol !!!

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING MAN!!??
Old Jul 1st 2007, 11:04 pm
Banned

Oh yea and fogot to mention !!

Very soon the None smokers will regret the day , others`arent smoking as they will be picking up the tab somewhere along the line ..

That will teach them
Old Jul 1st 2007, 11:06 pm
Banned

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING MAN!!??
Dont need alcohol to have a drink !! Get alcohol free Beers and wines so why not ban it makes more sense

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.