Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Secret of Zaras success??

The Secret of Zaras success??

Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:24 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Secret of Zaras success??

Originally Posted by cricketman
Obviously your local shop was awful

The central market in Malaga was great, as are the central markets in Barcelona and Oviedo, and some of the street markets on the CDS. They even had great tasting fresones and mangos grown in Malaga province, something you cannot get from the supermarket unless you pay about 5 euros per kilo from the posh fruit section at hipercor

There are reasons why we choose to live in the centre of the cities, the food is way better for a start!

I used to shop at Waitrose when I lived in London. They had nice tomatos, but they cost £1 each! And this was 8 years ago, they probably cost twice that now. Nice tomatos here cost 2 euros per kilo
just got back from my local fruit and veg shop
large tomatoes €1.45/kilo
peppers (red) €1.25/kilo
apples (red) €1.10/kilo

local butchers is doing pollo entero at €1.99/kilo

but then thats in the back woods of the Northern Granada olive groves

`
Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:25 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Woody Allen certainly thought so

I wish it would stop raining though

We drone on about food so much on this forum that I just want to leave you with this thought, which I'm sure you won't agree with, but still..

People on here say British bread, fruit and veg, meat, fish, cheese is all better than the Spanish equivalents, yet every Spaniard I've met who's lived in the UK has complained about how terrible the food is, both when eating out, when eating in people's homes and in the supermarkets.
I don't eat British food. I hate it. But true, I also hate Spanish bread. I buy bread at the German place down the street. No comparison whatsoever.

We make our own variety of Mediterranean cuisine here, lots of fish and veg, garlic & olive oil, some chicken, and occasional beef (but only from the butcher, not the "enhanced" stuff you buy in the supermarket), but none of it remotely resembling anything British.

So what category does that put me in?

The only nationality who moan about the food in Spain are the British. The Americans I know rave about Spanish food. As do the odd other Northern European I know. I know an Italian and he says Spanish food is good, but no better than in Italy

So, I conclude that Brits really dont have much of a clue. They have been marketed to death by Jamie Oliver and other TV chefs and the supermarkets and they really do believe that British food is amazing now, and any food that deviates to how it is in Britain is inferior.

It is delusion of the highest degree.

Over and out
Yes, naturally all British are morons, and all Spanish are brilliant. That's a fair assessment.

But I can tell you why the Americans like Spanish food. Ever had Spanish food in the states? It's fantastic. Really. So is the Italian. No, not at all authentic, and nothing like what you'll get here, but really great just the same. The best Mexican food won't be found in Guadalajara, but in San Diego, and there are many who will claim that the best curry in the world can be found in.... you got it, London.

So, yes, Americans do like the Spanish food they know of, just as the Brits would prefer the curry they are familiar with. But most of the Americans I know also prefer the American versions of Italian over what they get in Italy (although I don't necessarily agree - they are very different kitchens).

Edit: You know Americans? I find that hard to believe.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:26 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

That demonstrates that most people prefer the food they were brought up to eat. Certainly no shortage of foreigners scoffing everywhere in London and they look as if they are enjoying it.

My spanish relatives and friends love English breakfast, fish n' chips and sweet cakes although I am sure they crave ham sometimes
Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:27 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Yes, our local shop in Spain had good fruit and veg but continued selling it when it was nearly walking out of the shop. Pick an orange up and a swarm of fruit flies came out Not nice for those elderly etc. who don't have transport.

The shops around here Waitrose etc don't stock much from Spain anymore.
Jacky, have you been listening to your chef and chauffeur ??
perhaps thats why they seem to always be out shopping together, wonder what they do to pass their time ??
Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:34 am

We drone on about food so much on this forum that I just want to leave you with this thought, which I'm sure you won't agree with, but still..

People on here say British bread, fruit and veg, meat, fish, cheese is all better than the Spanish equivalents, yet every Spaniard I've met who's lived in the UK has complained about how terrible the food is, both when eating out, when eating in people's homes and in the supermarkets.

The only nationality who moan about the food in Spain are the British. The Americans I know rave about Spanish food. As do the odd other Northern European I know. I know an Italian and he says Spanish food is good, but no better than in Italy

So, I conclude that Brits really dont have much of a clue. They have been marketed to death by Jamie Oliver and other TV chefs and the supermarkets and they really do believe that British food is amazing now, and any food that deviates to how it is in Britain is inferior.

Over and out
I had to look at my passport and it definitely says British.!!

I have nothing but praise for the Spanish food, the Med Diet.
Biggest problem here with bread is that once we get used to a particular loaf all of a sudden everyone else latches on to it and you have to fight for it.

I don't miss any of that highly processed stuff, full of an alphabet soup of added extras, fresh from the shops, into the fridge and consumed within 48hrs.
And half the price that in the UK

Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:39 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas

Yes, naturally all British are morons, and all Spanish are brilliant. That's a fair assessment.

But I can tell you why the Americans like Spanish food. Ever had Spanish food in the states? It's fantastic. Really. So is the Italian. No, not at all authentic, and nothing like what you'll get here, but really great just the same. The best Mexican food won't be found in Guadalajara, but in San Diego, and there are many who will claim that the best curry in the world can be found in.... you got it, London.

So, yes, Americans do like the Spanish food they know of, just as the Brits would prefer the curry they are familiar with. But most of the Americans I know also prefer the American versions of Italian over what they get in Italy (although I don't necessarily agree - they are very different kitchens).

Edit: You know Americans? I find that hard to believe.

Typical Spanish food is still prepared like back in the dark ages or maybe when they first came out of caves.
Bland and basic.

Central American Spanish food great, I knew some in the Canaries where most of the Spanish waiters and cooks preferred to eat.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:56 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino

local butchers is doing pollo entero at €1.99/kilo
So you've been robbed, unless you eat the head and feet that is.

Limpio here for the same price.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 12:18 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Over and out
Your opinions about food are as valid as your knowledge of radio protocol.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 12:21 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Your opinions about food are as valid as your knowledge of radio protocol.
...or Spain, or anywhere, for that matter.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
So you've been robbed, unless you eat the head and feet that is.

Limpio here for the same price.
everyone round here, including the supermarkets, call it entero but it is always limpio - head and feet cut off, insides cleaned out.
and they will cut it into segments for the same price

`
Old Apr 5th 2013, 2:32 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by Domino
everyone round here, including the supermarkets, call it entero but it is always limpio - head and feet cut off, insides cleaned out.
and they will cut it into segments for the same price

`
Used to be a lot of entero sold c/w giblets, head and feet, a few years back, but now they're becoming as rare as hens teeth, think about that , but the fully prepared ones are classed as limpio around here and are still going cheap, cheep,cheep.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 2:40 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by amideislas
...or Spain, or anywhere, for that matter.
Could no doubt have been a Worldwide correspondent for the BBC travelling all over the Globe to give reports and expert opinion, but there again that surely would never have been a patch on life in Oviedo.