Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Secret of Zaras success??

The Secret of Zaras success??

Old Apr 4th 2013, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Secret of Zaras success??

Originally Posted by agoreira
Agree, but it always amuses me when people here tell us all about the great fresh fruit and veg in Spain, do they seriously believe it was all produced in Pablo's huerta down the road? Most is bland, tasteless and full of chemicals and additives, the strawberries taste of nothing
Sure, the fruit and veg grown in the poly tunnels is tasteless. Luckily most of it gets sent to the UK supermarkets, and to be fair, to the Spanish supermarkets like the cra*ppy mercadona which so many of you guys like

As always though, its easy to get good tasting fruit and veg. Just find a good market stall or fruteria.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 10:19 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Why are they reporting this as news? It's been going on for years! Consumers want fresh fruit and salad all year round regardless of season so they have to grow them under plastic. You can see it from space.

There have always been migrant labourers from North Africa working in poor conditions there, and inland CDS too. It's the only paid work they can get and they are glad of it.

Does the Mail suddenly expect its readers to demand ethically-produced vegetables and pay the price rise which would inevitably result? Or is it just another dig at Europe in general and Spain in particular?

I don't think everyone is totally aware of how a lot of the fruit sold in N.European shops is produced, especially those who are less well traveled.

No harm in telling it like it is or did you spot anything in that article that was non factual ?

Because some well known tabloids are given to sensationalism does not necessarily mean that everything they print is a load of old cobblers.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I don't think everyone is totally aware of how a lot of the fruit sold in N.European shops is produced, especially those who are less well traveled.

No harm in telling it like it is or did you spot anything in that article that was non factual ?

Because some well known tabloids are given to sensationalism does not necessarily mean that everything they print is a load of old cobblers.
But there is migrant worker exploitation in British agriculture too. You don't see stories like this in the Mail, do you?

Bitter harvest: how exploitation and abuse stalks migrant workers on UK farms
Old Apr 4th 2013, 10:23 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Sure, the fruit and veg grown in the poly tunnels is tasteless. Luckily most of it gets sent to the UK supermarkets, and to be fair, to the Spanish supermarkets like the cra*ppy mercadona which so many of you guys like

As always though, its easy to get good tasting fruit and veg. Just find a good market stall or fruteria.
There's good shops and bad, just like there's good market stalls and bad, some of which sell of cheap fruit past it's best that many decent shops would reject.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 10:26 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
But there is migrant worker exploitation in British agriculture too. You don't see stories like this in the Mail, do you?

Bitter harvest: how exploitation and abuse stalks migrant workers on UK farms
I think you do.

There's been numerous stories in the UK media in recent years about much the same subject and exploitation by unscrupulous gangmasters.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 10:28 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, our local shop in Spain had good fruit and veg but continued selling it when it was nearly walking out of the shop. Pick an orange up and a swarm of fruit flies came out Not nice for those elderly etc. who don't have transport.

The shops around here Waitrose etc don't stock much from Spain anymore.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Yes, our local shop in Spain had good fruit and veg but continued selling it when it was nearly walking out of the shop. Pick an orange up and a swarm of fruit flies came out Not nice for those elderly etc. who don't have transport.

The shops around here Waitrose etc don't stock much from Spain anymore.
Obviously your local shop was awful

The central market in Malaga was great, as are the central markets in Barcelona and Oviedo, and some of the street markets on the CDS. They even had great tasting fresones and mangos grown in Malaga province, something you cannot get from the supermarket unless you pay about 5 euros per kilo from the posh fruit section at hipercor

There are reasons why we choose to live in the centre of the cities, the food is way better for a start!

I used to shop at Waitrose when I lived in London. They had nice tomatos, but they cost £1 each! And this was 8 years ago, they probably cost twice that now. Nice tomatos here cost 2 euros per kilo

Last edited by cricketman; Apr 4th 2013 at 10:36 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 10:37 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Obviously your local shop was awful

The central market in Malaga was great, as are the central markets in Barcelona and Oviedo, and some of the street markets on the CDS. They even had great tasting fresones and mangos grown in Malaga province, something you cannot get from the supermarket unless you pay about 5 euros per kilo from the posh fruit section at hipercor

There are reasons why we choose to live in the centre of the cities, the food is way better for a start!

I used to shop at Waitrose when I lived in London. They had nice tomatos, but they cost £1 each! And this was 8 years ago, they probably cost twice that now. Nice tomatos here cost 2 euros per kilo
That's it. We're all moving to Oviedo. Goddam garden of eden it is.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 10:44 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by amideislas

Bloody amazing.

That guy can get fresher fruit that's been packed and transported to the middle of the city, than I can get living in the middle of the biggest fruit growing area in Europe.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 10:48 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Waitrose have some at £2 per kilo, others at £5 or more depending on which sort you want. I remember us growing our own at one time in Spain. Cost us a fortune watering them. They were all ripe at once, taking a bag full off every day so had to give them away. At the time they were only 50 cents per kilo at the market
Old Apr 4th 2013, 10:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

Bloody amazing.

That guy can get fresher fruit that's been packed and transported to the middle of the city, than I can get living in the middle of the biggest fruit growing area in Europe.
Is it cos you don't speak Spanish
Old Apr 4th 2013, 10:53 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Is it cos you don't speak Spanish
Aw shucks, is Valenciano with a Geordie accent no good then ?
Old Apr 4th 2013, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by amideislas
Well, Woody Allen certainly thought so

I wish it would stop raining though

We drone on about food so much on this forum that I just want to leave you with this thought, which I'm sure you won't agree with, but still..

People on here say British bread, fruit and veg, meat, fish, cheese is all better than the Spanish equivalents, yet every Spaniard I've met who's lived in the UK has complained about how terrible the food is, both when eating out, when eating in people's homes and in the supermarkets.

The only nationality who moan about the food in Spain are the British. The Americans I know rave about Spanish food. As do the odd other Northern European I know. I know an Italian and he says Spanish food is good, but no better than in Italy

So, I conclude that Brits really dont have much of a clue. They have been marketed to death by Jamie Oliver and other TV chefs and the supermarkets and they really do believe that British food is amazing now, and any food that deviates to how it is in Britain is inferior.

It is delusion of the highest degree.

Over and out
Old Apr 4th 2013, 11:03 pm
Banned

I think Italian food is soo much better than Spanish, perhaps it's just a question of personal taste. When I looked around at what the Spanish had in their trolleys they didn't appear to eat well, especially the stuff bought for their kids.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 11:13 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

People on here say British bread, fruit and veg, meat, fish, cheese is all better than the Spanish equivalents, yet every Spaniard I've met who's lived in the UK has complained about how terrible the food is, both when eating out, when eating in people's homes and in the supermarkets.
At one bit I taught English to learners from various countries in London. Brazil, Bylorussia, Thailand, Germany, Italy, Chile etc.
When I asked about the worst bit about their stay in London, the answer was always the same - the food. They generally loved the city but always complained about the food on offer, either when eating or when they bought from shops/supermarkets.
They may have a point, but I suspect few of them had had access to a home-made shepherds' pie, or toad-in-the-hole or even a decent Sunday roast (the cheap version they may have sampled in Wetherspoons doesn't count).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.