Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ryanair/Easyjet

Ryanair/Easyjet

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:39 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryanair/Easyjet

Ryanair have their own ways of making up lost time by cutting corners,..literally.
They have been pulled up for diving quickly and as directly as possible onto runways without completing the correct approach circuit.
Their pilots are under great pressure to stick to schedule or make up lost time whenever possible.
However if they are pulled up by the authorities,O'Leary is very quick to point out it is none of his doing of course, and publicly haul the crew over the coals.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Ryanair have their own ways of making up lost time by cutting corners,..literally.
They have been pulled up for diving quickly and as directly as possible onto runways without completing the correct approach circuit.
Their pilots are under great pressure to stick to schedule or make up lost time whenever possible.
However if they are pulled up by the authorities,O'Leary is very quick to point out it is none of his doing of course, and publicly haul the crew over the coals.
Not a good thing to read having been on a flight which came in 25 minutes ahead of schedule..... that's abysmal, though clearly nothing to do with the sainted O'Leary but I ask you - 25 mins early on a 2h 15 flight??? I still reckon making flights early is partly done by allowing more time on the schedules than they need so it seems fast...
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:02 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Not a good thing to read having been on a flight which came in 25 minutes ahead of schedule..... that's abysmal, though clearly nothing to do with the sainted O'Leary but I ask you - 25 mins early on a 2h 15 flight??? I still reckon making flights early is partly done by allowing more time on the schedules than they need so it seems fast...
Its not so simple as all that.
Other factors have to be considered,like allowing for a strong headwind slowing the plane or other aircraft stacked up waiting to land.
On the other hand with a favourable tailwind,previously estimated journey time can be reduced quite a lot.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Its not so simple as all that.
Other factors have to be considered,like allowing for a strong headwind slowing the plane or other aircraft stacked up waiting to land.
On the other hand with a favourable tailwind,previously estimated journey time can be reduced quite a lot.
yep....... possibly for another thread, but what intrigues me is how/why flights from similar places come in & leave by different routes. Going out of AGP Thurs am (easyjet to LGW)we went directly over our house (a rarity). Coming back last night (Ryanair from STN) we came down the coast from at least as far as Nerja.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 11:16 am
Account Closed

lunacrout is an unknown quantity at this point

I must say that it doesn't get any easier the more that I do it - in fact my last flight was the worst ever. Flying with Ryanair, I first had to pay £40 as I had forgotten to bring my boarding card with me - it was still waiting for me on the bedside table on my return! I then had the problem with a bag they decide was 'oversize' although it was exactly the same bag that I'd used when flying out with them the previous week!.

I was already flustered by the time I joined the slow moving queue at security and then I set the alarms off - it turned out be the underwiring in my bra (maybe we'll soon be asked to remove those!) and the various metal rivets on my jeans. This necessitated the most thorough body search I have ever endured, one step down from 'rubber gloves' I suppose!

I entered the airport lounge and anxiously scrutinised the screens to see which boarding gate I needed - to be confronted with the message 'Boarding Gate Closed'. By now, I was whimpering with stress and anxiety as I fought my way through the hoards of happy browsers in the duty free area - now an obligatory money-making obstacle course in the airport - I could see the plane on the tarmac, engines running, ready for take off.

Thankfully they let me through - well they had to really as it would have further delayed things to rummage through the hundreds of bags to offload mine. I just had to brave the disapproving looks of my fellow passengers as I made my way down the aisle to a seat. The plane still arrived at its destination half an hour ahead of schedule.............
(SNIP)

Last edited by lunacrout; Nov 3rd 2009 at 12:39 pm. Reason: Dont publish links to your own site please
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 11:20 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair lunacrout, you forgetting your pass and having a bag that was larger than their rules and the bra thingy wasnt realy their fault was it!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 11:22 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I think after your last 3 or 4 posts we realize you have a website.
Try reading the rules of this one.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

lunacrout is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
To be fair lunacrout, you forgetting your pass and having a bag that was larger than their rules and the bra thingy wasnt realy their fault was it!

No not saying forgetting my pass was - I put that down to 'old timer's' disease , and I'm not saying my underwear issue was their fault either - I was using the examples to point out that you do need to allow more time than you think and yet after all the panic, the flight, to illustrate fionamw's point, arrived ahead of schedule, in this case 30 mins. The captain announced that we would be early shortly after take off so it was something they already knew.

Regarding the bag - it's the same one that I've been using for 6 years now with no probem. The last time I'd used it prior to this flight was the week previously when I flew with Ryanair (the same airline) from Granada to Malaga, it certainly didn't grow any bigger in a week

Last edited by lunacrout; Nov 3rd 2009 at 12:40 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:27 pm
On the road again.

yep....... possibly for another thread, but what intrigues me is how/why flights from similar places come in & leave by different routes. Going out of AGP Thurs am (easyjet to LGW)we went directly over our house (a rarity). Coming back last night (Ryanair from STN) we came down the coast from at least as far as Nerja.
It normally depends on wind direction.
Regarding both take off and landing, aircraft head into the wind whenever possible for more lift at slower speed and use a preset flight path before getting onto the normal course or on approach.
So one day they could take of East and follow a certain flight path for quite a good way,next day it could all change around with the wind.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:29 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lunacrout
No not saying forgetting my pass was - I put that down to 'old timer's' disease , and I'm not saying my underwear issue was their fault either - I was using the examples to point out that you do need to allow more time than you think and yet after all the panic, the flight, to illustrate fionamw's point, arrived ahead of schedule, in this case 30 mins. The captain announced that we would be early shortly after take off so it was something they already knew.

Regarding the bag - it's the same one that I've been using for 6 years now with no probem. The last time I'd used it prior to this flight was the week previously when I flew with Ryanair (the same airline) from Granada to Malaga, it certainly didn't grow any bigger in a week

I fly with them a lot and I always see people with oversized bags and it annoys me because we try to keep within the size limits.

But the last time we came back from Birmingham there was a guy on the gate making people put their bags into the "box", and there were quite a few people being caught out, and one woman was almost sitting on her case trying to get it in
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

warren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lunacrout

Ah but look at it this way, for the past 6 years you have been getting away with taking a bigger bag than the allowance.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
But the last time we came back from Birmingham there was a guy on the gate making people put their bags into the "box", and there were quite a few people being caught out, and one woman was almost sitting on her case trying to get it in

I saw the same thing last time I flew out of Málaga (EasyJet) - I'd never seen it happen before. A few people had a real struggle and one girl got charged extra to put her bag in the hold. She boarded muttering that it was the same bag she always used and noone objected before.

I'd say be very careful. I'm always amazed at the size of what some people consider hand luggage.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:06 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Wel, the answer's simple, isn't it? If you don't like Ryan, don't use them. I get frankly bored senseless by the numbers of people who whine about Ryan. I always ask them why they use him if they hate it so much, and the answer is always the same. They love the price, but can't quite grasp what that entails.

Ditto forgetting passports, boarding cards, wrong size luggage and so on. It's all there in the rules. If you can't cope with them, that's your problem, not theirs, and if you aim to turn up at the last moment, then accept that the slightest problem may cause you to miss your flight.

A couple of simple suggestions if I may?

make a complete list of all the things you need to take, and check them off again as you leave.

weigh and measure luggage.

READ THE RULES.

Finally, the guy grabbing his hand luggage and moving rapidly away from you might well be me. Travelling with no hold luggage means I can get away quickly and efficiently, and I try not to get trapped behind the smartie crunching masses that amble along in a large clot, blocking the walkways.

Adiosssssss.......
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Johhnyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

ADVANCE PASSENGER INFO
--------------------------
The last line is the important one ... checkin-in first and it collects your API

According to the FAQs .....

Can I supply this information to you online?

Yes, Passengers are required to submit this information after they have completed the booking process or at the latest up to 4 hours prior to flight departure. This information is automatically collected when you check-in online.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In principle, I agree that the rules are there & we've no-one else to blame but ourselves if we either don't like it or fall foul of said regs. However there are always grey areas - one of which occurred to me this weekend when travelling out to UK EasyJet & back by Ryanair. EasyJet easy peasy. Ryanair only chosen cos I'd left it a few hours late & all seats taken on the EZY I wanted. So I can moan if I want, not least at myself for being so lackadaisical.... anyway, the rules say cabin bag to be 50x40x20 (I think, don't quote me, the numbers don't matter for my query) .... I'm not sure I've found anything saying either why, or whether, if your bag's cubic capacity was equivalent to or less than that, but in different format, you couldn't take it. ?? Obviously there'll be an answer, but I'll be intrigued to know where it's to be found.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.