Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The perfect Mother

The perfect Mother

Old Dec 3rd 2011, 10:48 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The perfect Mother

Originally Posted by JLFS
Just watching skynews, and we seem to have some new phrases in the English language "honour violence and honour killings", another thing to add to what has been brought into the country by immigrants.

Nearly 3 thousand cases in a year, where girls have been victims of violence from the male members in their own families, usually with the female members supporting it or doing nothing to prevent it.

I cannot see how men who have such little thought for their own daughters and mothers who do not fight like lionesses to protect them can really fit into any society that abhors violence of this kind.

Yes it could be argued that the UK is a voilent country, but the big difference is the perps know that they are doing wrong, it is a lot more sinister when voilent acts are not being done for gain, revenge, drugs etc, but because they think it is the right thing to do because a daughter/sister has brought shame on the family, usually with " trivial" act.

I use trivial, to mean an act that is the norm in the UK.

Is this a racist view, I dont know?
as you say, these phrases are new to the UK, coming from the Indian sub-continent, along with a desire to impose Sharia law.
however, it isnt very recent and has been with us for well over 10 years.
regrettably it has been kept below the line because of the problem that if it is raised as a subject anyone not part of "the brotherhood" is deemed to be racist and cannot have a say in such matters.

The men go to great lengths to ensure the "purity" of their women, local streets are jammed packed full of cars delivering and collecting them from school every day, even for fairly short distances. This ensures they do not mix with anyone "not acceptable"

The other women in the household have no option, no say, profess no knowledge, they were brought up the same way and passed as a chattel to a man, usually many years older, to cement a relationship between families.
There are several young women who have moved hundreds of miles from home to live\marry with someone "not acceptable" to their father or uncle, under a relocation programme.

It is a very different world to that you see and expect from a normal English way of life, and despite the long years of Spain's association with muslim religion, is probably new to you as well.

The television detective series Blue Murder with Caroline Quentin had an episode that covered the surface of this subject.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 11:21 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evamar
The real problem, in the UK, in Spain or wherever, is that many immigrants do not bother to integrate and end up forming ghettoes. Whatever their nationalities, religions or colours, they take parts of a town for themselves or even create their own towns and don't mix properly with the natives and other immigrants who will also create their own ghettoes.

I don't like ghettoes of British, German, Moroccan, South American, Chinese, etc etc people in Spain, just as I don't like ghettoes of Pakistanis, Indians, Black Caribbeans, Black Africans, Polish, Spanish, or whatever in the UK. And it's worse when many of them are illegals to start with. I don't mind immigrants, I'm an immigrant myself, but I want them to integrate in the host country properly. Is this being racist?

These are facts: when a person of the host country is the only native in a bus, a tram, his/her street, local shops, half or more of the pupils in their kids' school cannot speak the language ... and the non natives are mostly from the same background, the native will certainly notice it. I think that it's completely normal. People won't normally say it because they are scared of being called racists, but I bet everybody feels it, let's be honest. People feel better when surrounded by their own. This is a human fact and the real problem. If this overcoming presence comes together with an increase in crime and its cost and the knowledge that so many immigrants are illegal and taking so much of the social benefits at the same time that they increase the social expense to cover their crimes, especially in times of economic crisis, racist fights and attacks will be the norm.

Give the natives a proper mix in their streets, places of work, parks, celebrations.... a proper integration and you wouldn't see so many racial attacks. Immigrants simply have to integrate in order to avoid social conflicts, and to make this they cannot live and work only with their original compatriots forming ghettoes. Two, three families of the same background, that's all that should live close to each other in case they need help or want some contact to speak their language between them or celebrate something, but when you find hundreds of families in the same area, integration is clearly not working.
Evamar, you have summed the problem up in only 7 words .

The problem with the UK and integration is that it is continually being said that the indigenous British are not integrating and they are racist. But as you say it is the immigrants who are not integrating. They want to retain their way of life from another land whilst accepting, no - Demanding, the benefits available to the indigenous peoples.

They impose Sharia Law in their communities, bypassing the British law system. They impose forced marriage on their children - male and female, to cement relationships between families.

Integration isnt something that will happen overnite, or on 31st Dec by decree.... It can only come over a period of time measured in centuries, not days weeks or even years.
Integration means the indigenous peoples have to open their doors to new ideas, new ways of life - in exactly the same way as the incomers have to relax some of their rigid ways of life, accepting those of the indigenous they are joining.
Integration can only come from trust, understanding and most importantly acceptance of little bits of difference. From that should come a stronger and more resiliant population.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 11:47 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evamar
The real problem, in the UK, in Spain or wherever, is that many immigrants do not bother to integrate and end up forming ghettoes. Whatever their nationalities, religions or colours, they take parts of a town for themselves or even create their own towns and don't mix properly with the natives and other immigrants who will also create their own ghettoes.

I don't like ghettoes of British, German, Moroccan, South American, Chinese, etc etc people in Spain, just as I don't like ghettoes of Pakistanis, Indians, Black Caribbeans, Black Africans, Polish, Spanish, or whatever in the UK. And it's worse when many of them are illegals to start with. I don't mind immigrants, I'm an immigrant myself, but I want them to integrate in the host country properly. Is this being racist?

These are facts: when a person of the host country is the only native in a bus, a tram, his/her street, local shops, half or more of the pupils in their kids' school cannot speak the language ... and the non natives are mostly from the same background, the native will certainly notice it. I think that it's completely normal. People won't normally say it because they are scared of being called racists, but I bet everybody feels it, let's be honest. People feel better when surrounded by their own. This is a human fact and the real problem. If this overcoming presence comes together with an increase in crime and its cost and the knowledge that so many immigrants are illegal and taking so much of the social benefits at the same time that they increase the social expense to cover their crimes, especially in times of economic crisis, racist fights and attacks will be the norm.

Give the natives a proper mix in their streets, places of work, parks, celebrations.... a proper integration and you wouldn't see so many racial attacks. Immigrants simply have to integrate in order to avoid social conflicts, and to make this they cannot live and work only with their original compatriots forming ghettoes. Two, three families of the same background, that's all that should live close to each other in case they need help or want some contact to speak their language between them or celebrate something, but when you find hundreds of families in the same area, integration is clearly not working.
Very good post, karma given. I have an Asian (Pakistan) friend who was such a good friend to me when we moved to live a couple doors down from her family. I was recovering from a serious operation at the time and she sent her children in every day to see if I needed anything and sent food also. When I was well enough to visit we became friends and I helped her with the language in turn she taught me some basic cooking skills from her own country. However she wouldn't walk down the street with me because, as she explained to me, it was not acceptable for her to be seen with an English woman This was early 80's. I had no problem whatsoever and even took her out in the car a few times to appointments and dropping her and her children off at the shops. That apparently was OK. We lost touch for many years when I moved away from the area but bumped into each other in Asda when I moved back home from Spain and she hugged me .... yes in public!! How different from when we first got to know each other. I have moved away again but we remain friends.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 11:54 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
In Florida one small resort most of the residents are descended from Greek sponge divers. London has Jewish quarters, some have been taken over by Bangladeshis etc.
Do they walk around seeing how long they can hold their breath? That must stiffle conversation.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 12:21 pm
Spanish, 40

evamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jackytoo
It's always been so, human nature. Immigrants in New York set up their own areas, some are still known as"Little Italy" Chinatown etc. In Florida one small resort most of the residents are descended from Greek sponge divers. London has Jewish quarters, some have been taken over by Bangladeshis etc.
Precisely, that is the problem. Of course it's human nature, and because of that there should be more control in order to avoid ghettoes. Now take an allocated area where you still have a few native families surrounded by many others of a single particular foreign background. Especially an area where most natives are poor and unemployed and most foreigners are also poor, unemployed and mainly illegals.

Now find yourself as the minority in a bus and surrounded by one single other group. Good or bad, you feel insecure because you are the minority in your own country. Everybody realises it, be honest, but many won't say it publicly: PC stigma. I don't know whether this woman is crazy, had recently been attacked and robbed by immigrants or their descendants, recently lost her job, or what.

I don't know why she said it loud, but being honest I do certainly notice when I'm the only Spanish in a Spanish place or the only white in a bus or tram in the UK, and this being immigrant myself. It shocks me because rather than integrate, people only looks for the familiar even though it normally means that the area degrades.

If I were the only British on a bus, and of course talking out of peak hours, I would prefer being one of several British, surrounded by several blacks, asians, europeans and whatever, but not surrounded by only one other group or two. Of course you want the familiar, that's precisely why immigrants shouldn't take whole parts of the country as their own.

I once met at work a Bangladeshi man, about 50 years old, who had been in the UK for over 20 years and still couldn't speak basic English and couldn't even fill in a form with simple questions such as name, address... It shocked me, he had only been in contact with his own group all that time and came with a friend to translate. I don't want this to be something "normal" in the UK, in Spain or wherever.

Immigrants have to integrate. OK to be close to a few more families of your own background, but they cannot take the whole place as a ghetto, as this helps them to keep their own culture, language and customs untouched and unaffected by the host one. This is the reason of the infamous "honour killings" among other social issues: bad integration. If you live abroad, you have to change many things and adapt to the host culture, which simply has to remain the strongest. If you are not going to adapt, you simply shouldn't live abroad.

LIONDA, what a nice story, it shows that good people are good everywhere and don't have to stop being so only because of the background of the others. Your friend made a big step then to integrate, knowing that it wasn't accepted by her own people, she was breaking her own culture ties. This is the kind of immigrants that will always be welcomed everywhere. I'm glad that you keep in touch.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 3:16 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

LIONDA, what a nice story, it shows that good people are good everywhere and don't have to stop being so only because of the background of the others. Your friend made a big step then to integrate, knowing that it wasn't accepted by her own people, she was breaking her own culture ties. This is the kind of immigrants that will always be welcomed everywhere. I'm glad that you keep in touch.[/QUOTE]

Evamar, my friend is a really nice woman and she has a good sense of humour. Her children are mostly married now except for two who still live at home. She told me one of her sons has married a girl who chooses to wear the full burkha and when she first visited she told her "you don't need to wear that here I want to see your face" she said she doesn't like the burkha and can't understand why some women of her culture choose to wear it, she thinks it separates them from everyone and finds that very sad.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 4:58 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Dear O Lord

That is the main problem with so many of us Brits, am I racist for thinking these thoughts ?, when its bleeding blindingly obvious that the bulk of mankind is intolerant/dislikes/hates others who are indifferent/dismissive to the indigenous population & their rules. (of course I speak in general terms)

IMO.
The burka should be outlawed in western society (period)
Any case of family members using Sharia law (or whatever excuse they use) to hurt/maim/kill other members should know that they will not see freedom for a very very long time.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 6:40 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Have I addressed you at all in this thread? Have I requested that you post a snide comment? Did I come looking for your opinion? No, so why do you do it? Why do you post something that you know full well will get a negative reply? Is it because in truth you live a sad, souless life and the best you can do in life is this... this forum... this little world of the forum, posting your pocket wisdom and anecdotal tales of life in the "real world"?

You're and idiot, not the only one I grant you but an idiot all the same.
Come on, Chum. It was only a joke, Lighten up.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 6:45 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
So? Which posts are supportive of the perp?
Looks like we're in for quite a long wait, jimenato.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 8:18 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Looks like we're in for quite a long wait, jimenato.
Oh sorry, I forgot, thats what you guys do isn't it? Thats why this is the most friendly forum out there...
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 8:34 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Oh sorry, I forgot, thats what you guys do isn't it? Thats why this is the most friendly forum out there...
Come on Matt, you're not being fair. Isn't the truth that people have just got pissed off with you. You and Perthbum, your time has passed.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 10:07 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Come on Matt, you're not being fair. Isn't the truth that people have just got pissed off with you. You and Perthbum, your time has passed.
Seems that way.

Maybe all his facebook friends have forsaken him as well, and all he's got left is boosting his post count by pointless trolling on BE.

Anyway we shall continue to patiently wait for him to name and shame and add substance to his accusations, if the option of doing the decent thing and withdrawing them is beneath his dignity.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 7:21 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Seems that way.

Maybe all his facebook friends have forsaken him as well, and all he's got left is boosting his post count by pointless trolling on BE.

Anyway we shall continue to patiently wait for him to name and shame and add substance to his accusations, if the option of doing the decent thing and withdrawing them is beneath his dignity.
Interesting that its you two that are now trying to push me out since its you two who are constantly cited as the reason so many not only stay away from here but also wont return. You continue your little plan, you wont push me out like you have so many others, no matter what tactics you resort to... even multiple personalities... Eh?
Old Dec 4th 2011, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Interesting that its you two that are now trying to push me out since its you two who are constantly cited as the reason so many not only stay away from here but also wont return. You continue your little plan, you wont push me out like you have so many others, no matter what tactics you resort to... Eh?
Once again a thread has been hijacked by someone with an axe to grind.

If you want to discuss your paranoia FFS go somewhere else.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 10:45 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Once again a thread has been hijacked by someone with an axe to grind.

If you want to discuss your paranoia FFS go somewhere else.
Not my paranoia at all, just observations I have picked up from other peoples opinions. Not a shock you are here now though, well done for popping along love.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.