Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

opinions please??

opinions please??

Old Apr 14th 2010, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of
Default Re: opinions please??

My son wants to be a pilot as well. Looked at the school in Jerez and quite expensive; fees are around 80,000 pounds unless he can get an airline to sponsor him.http://ftejerez.com/

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
...... and totally fluent in Spanish!!

My son wants to be a pilot and my son in law is a pilot so he's pointing him in the right direction. I cant remember where he recommended but he mentioned a "flying" college place in Jerez I think it was and apparently its in English!???

fortunately my son has a trust fund that will be available to him when he's 18 so that should cover the costs

Jo xxx
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

Yeats is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rachelk
Teachers in state schools go through a set selection procedure - they must have certain qualifications before sitting their entrance exams.

As far as I know, private schools can employ whoever they want, and are free to set their own selection criteria, even if that means selecting staff based on their ability to invest rather than their qualifications and experience.

This is a private school, yes? Not a concertado?
Hmm, I am afraid you are not well informed. Teachers in state, "concertados" or private schools must have the same qualifications and degrees for teaching children in a Spanish school. Their degrees must be sent to the "Delegacion de Educacion", for the Inspector to check their ability according to law. The only difference is that in public schools teachers have passed the infamous "Oposiciones".
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

Yeats is an unknown quantity at this point

There are fees. 450€ ish a term, 10% discount for siblings and an even bigger discount if the childs parents work in the Technology Park! I dont think that includes the offspring of the "ladies" that stand by the entrance in fish net stockings tho, so I'll give up on that idea!!!!!!!!!

Jo xxx
Hmm, again, you are not well informed. I have been there and 450 euros is per MONTH, not per term, and no discount for children whose parents work in the PTA. I work in the PTA.
And what do you mean with those "ladies"? There are no such ladies in the entrance of the PTA. That is an irresponsible comment.
Be careful with misleading info ...
I know there are some private schools nearby who are seeing their pupils leaving their classrooms to enter MIT school, and they are quite worried, and creating forums to avoid it by ALL means...

A piece of advice. Go there and talk to the Director and staff. As simple as that. I have done it, and my childen are in.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yeats
Hmm, I am afraid you are not well informed. Teachers in state, "concertados" or private schools must have the same qualifications and degrees for teaching children in a Spanish school. Their degrees must be sent to the "Delegacion de Educacion", for the Inspector to check their ability according to law. The only difference is that in public schools teachers have passed the infamous "Oposiciones".
I think both are correct here. If the school gets any money from the Spanish government then the teachers' qualifications must be verified by the Spanish state. To get money from the government the school must teach the Spanish curriculum.

If the school is purely British and only teaches British curiculum then the teachers only need meet the qualifications that are stated by the school, the Spanish government will have nothing to do with the school. My cousin worked as a teacher for a British international school in Spain and she had no degree, no A-levels and no teaching qualification. She had a certificate in nursery care (a 1 year course for 16 year olds), yet the international school thought that was good enough to teach a class of 5 and 6 year olds!

Last edited by cricketman; Apr 23rd 2010 at 7:36 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 8:44 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the international schools ask for the same standards as if applying in the UK. They can be very choosy because they always get lots of applicants for a job in the sun.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Deb801 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm, again, you are not well informed. I have been there and 450 euros is per MONTH, not per term, and no discount for children whose parents work in the PTA. I work in the PTA.
And what do you mean with those "ladies"? There are no such ladies in the entrance of the PTA. That is an irresponsible comment.
I know there are some private schools nearby who are seeing their pupils leaving their classrooms to enter MIT school, and they are quite worried, and creating forums to avoid it by ALL means...

A piece of advice. Go there and talk to the Director and staff. As simple as that. I have done it, and my childen are in.
Iam very interested in this school, I havent been yet but got some infomation from them via email. What age are your children?
My daugter is 15 she has had 5 years in the spanish education system.
she is in 3 ESO at the moment. I think I would be interested in the high school the SB dont think they will be doing the IB for a little while yet. Its a shame this school hadnt come along a little sooner.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 9:00 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

We know what she means....The "ladies" are those who "work" at the Technology Park....(those offering certain services)

Nothing related to women at the school or PTA.

I agree with your advice...go there and speak with the school staff. You will get either a good feeling or a bad feeling....

Did your children move from another private school? How did they react ?
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 9:02 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manamama
We know what she means....The "ladies" are those who "work" at the Technology Park....(those offering certain services)

Nothing related to women at the school or PTA.

I agree with your advice...go there and speak with the school staff. You will get either a good feeling or a bad feeling....

Did your children move from another private school? How did they react ?
it's not open yet mananamama
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 9:03 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lynnxa
it's not open yet mananamama
Oh..but Yeats said she went ..
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 9:09 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

First of all yes you are right I did mean per month not per term. Secondly according to the MIT school literature, staff working in some companies on the PTA, in certain sectors dont get a discount, they get FREE education! I'll dig the list of those employees and companies that are eligible when I have time. If memory serves they were american companies????.

I've spoken to Carlos in his little portacabin a couple of times so far and we've e-mailed a fair bit. But I'm pretty much decided that this school isnt for us due to my sons age. My daughter who is at a state school at the moment may well benefit due to her age, her language ability and a quite a few of her British friends from international school are signed up, but at the moment it very much depends on what to do with my 15yo son who is half way thru the coursework for his GCSEs. So for us, the jury is still out!

Jo xxx
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 9:10 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manamama
Oh..but Yeats said she went ..
I imagine just to see the Director, fill in the forms, look around the almost completed facilities & pay her deposit.

they don't start teaching until September according to the website
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 9:32 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deb801
Iam very interested in this school, I havent been yet but got some infomation from them via email. What age are your children?
My daugter is 15 she has had 5 years in the spanish education system.
she is in 3 ESO at the moment. I think I would be interested in the high school the SB dont think they will be doing the IB for a little while yet. Its a shame this school hadnt come along a little sooner.
I think it looks good, I'd certainly put my kids in if it wasnt for the fact my son is in an international school and halfway thru his IGCSEs. Go and see them. The school building isnt finished yet, altho the basic structure is there and looks impressive. Theres a little portacabin next to it that is manned by teaching staff throughout the day. I know a few of the parents whose children have taken the entrance exam and are "in"!!!

Jo xxx
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Most of the international schools ask for the same standards as if applying in the UK. They can be very choosy because they always get lots of applicants for a job in the sun.

I have met a fair few in my time who do not possess such qualifications and in fact, it can be difficult for schools to recruit qualified, experienced teachers from the UK.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

First of all yes you are right I did mean per month not per term.
That puts a different complexion on things....
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 4:08 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by rachelk
That puts a different complexion on things....
it does rather doesn't it?

it at least means the fees are about on a par with private International schools.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.