Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

opinions please??

opinions please??

Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: opinions please??

To become a teacher in a state school in Spain, or any school that gets government funding, you need to have a degree, the teaching qualification and pass the oposiciones.

To become a teacher in an international school that doesnt follow the Spanish curiculum (and therefore gets no government funding) you only need whatever qualification the school asks for. At some international schools there are people teaching who havent even gone to uni because they cant get anyone else for the salary they offer.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:02 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandiewk
Another thought.....if the average salary for a Spanish teacher is 20 - 30k, then what kind of bank manager etc. is going to offer a person on that yearly amount a loan of four to six times their annual salary with no collateral? Even in the good old days before the crunch it would be very unusual to get that kind of loan for such a shaky venture. And that would apply to most teachers especially the young and enthusiastic, essential for a new school to get off to a flying start.
If anyone knows such a kind old gentleman/lady manager in whatever bank, please point them my way IMMEDIATELY. I don't need to teach anymore but if they are willing to hand out such large sums of money on such lax criteria I have several pet projects to which I could steer it...
True, altho very often its the predicted income that the initial investment will make thats used. If it looks like a good investment in the medium/long term or whatever then the banks will invest. Altho the credit crunch has burnt the banks a tad (lol), they are beginning to try again!!???????????

I'm not having a lot of luck finding any job vacancies - I found one in Spanish obviously! From what I can see there is no mention of serious academic qualifications????????

http://www.trabajar.com/oferta-emple...malaga-288442o
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo

I'm not having a lot of luck finding any job vacancies - I found one in Spanish obviously! From what I can see there is no mention of serious academic qualifications????????

http://www.trabajar.com/oferta-emple...malaga-288442o
Yes they say do ask for serious academic qualifications. In the job advert they ask for a degree in philology (language studies), 3-5 years of teaching experience and an excellent level of English
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Why are most people on this board so negative? Everything gets ripped to shreds.

- When Technology parks are in areas where the local education may not be upto the standards of the expat community, it is very common for the park to have a school that is staffed with international staff and expertise. Technology parks mean investment. The Junta wants companies to invest in the area, so why would it be so surprising that they would offer land to such a school. The first and foremost concern of most expats moving to a new country is their childrens' education. In order for the technology park to attract the best and brightest from around the world, a world class school is usually essential. Whether this school will be world class or not is matter of debate. Only time will tell.

- Having teachers invest in the school ensures that they are a part of the school's success. It reduces turnover and ensures continuity. Parents do not want to send their children to a school where they are faced with learning from a new teacher every 3 months. We don't know the complete details of the financial compensation the teachers will receive. Yes, a 20K to 30K salary does not seem adequate return for their investment. Maybe there are benefits, dividends, profit sharing etc. I don't see why this is a negative.

The world is not such a bad place. Give it a chance and see what happens.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know!! I assume someone from the education dept.?????? I know the local Junta has given the school the land its being built on, and are keen that this school should work so I assume that they're involved in its setting up??????? Afterall, who checks anyone who applies for a teaching post in a state or otherwise school??
Teachers in state schools go through a set selection procedure - they must have certain qualifications before sitting their entrance exams.

As far as I know, private schools can employ whoever they want, and are free to set their own selection criteria, even if that means selecting staff based on their ability to invest rather than their qualifications and experience.

This is a private school, yes? Not a concertado?
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:35 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk
Teachers in state schools go through a set selection procedure - they must have certain qualifications before sitting their entrance exams.

As far as I know, private schools can employ whoever they want, and are free to set their own selection criteria, even if that means selecting staff based on their ability to invest rather than their qualifications and experience.

This is a private school, yes? Not a concertado?
Who would they choose, a good teacher with 10k to invest or an average tecaher with 30k to invest?

You have a point, and a very interesting and valid one.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:47 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

But who would work harder to make the school successful and popular, a teacher who was simply employed and teaching year in year out, or a teacher who had an investment in the future of the school??? Sometimes good teachers arent so good, they get tired and disheartened and sometimes no so good teachers can get a financial boost and become great??

Jo xxx
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:55 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

But who would work harder to make the school successful and popular, a teacher who was simply employed and teaching year in year out, or a teacher who had an investment in the future of the school??? Sometimes good teachers arent so good, they get tired and disheartened and sometimes no so good teachers can get a financial boost and become great??

Jo xxx
If someone has not got the "teaching gene", I dont see how by investing in the school, would make them better at teaching.

All teachers should be working to the best of their ability at all times, if the carrot of a good return on their investment is the reason that they try to "motivate and teach" their pupils , then maybe they should not have taken up teaching in the first place.

After all they do hold the future of the country in their hands.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jo xxx
Or one that is tied to the school for the rest of their life as they need to work to pay off the 120k loan they took out, out of desperation, to get the job in times of a bad economy.

Tbf, AdrianTO is right, we dont know enough about the deal to judge. While the school may be a new thing in the area, that doesnt make it bad, but it doesnt make it good either. I'd say you should see the place yourself and make a decision.

I would be very worried about your daughter's attitude about wanting to go back to England and being anti-Spanish, I am afraid she will never do well thinking like that. Children need to aspire to be like their classmates in order to make the considerable effort to integrate and improve their language skills. If she thinks of Spanish people and the language as stupid and different to her then emotionally she will never "opt-in" to her education and give herself a chance.

Where could she have got that attitude from though, that's the key? Maybe the other British kids at school are a bad influence?
Old Apr 10th 2010, 7:07 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
If someone has not got the "teaching gene", I dont see how by investing in the school, would make them better at teaching.

All teachers should be working to the best of their ability at all times, if the carrot of a good return on their investment is the reason that they try to "motivate and teach" their pupils , then maybe they should not have taken up teaching in the first place.

After all they do hold the future of the country in their hands.

You can tell you dont work in a school chick - all the teachers i have the priviledge of working with are fantastic n well motivated - but you can only teach if a child wants to learn - i am lucky enough to work in a special school n most of our kids want to learn so doesnt really apply to us - but i hear from other TAs in other schools (mainly main stream) who dont give a shite about their education n are there just to distrupt classes n make teachers lives hell - now how do you stay motivated when that is happening day in n day out - coz dont forget the child is always believed above the child
Old Apr 10th 2010, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

The school is located here:

http://www.pta.es/publico/jsp/home/home.jsp

The park houses global companies like IBM. It would be fair to say that parents of the children that go to this school will be among the highest wage earners in Malaga. The school will have to maintain a very high level of education for it to satisfy the demands of these parents and for it to be a success.

You are judged by the company you keep. And at first glance, this school seems to be keeping very good company.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 7:15 pm
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by cricketman

I would be very worried about your daughter's attitude about wanting to go back to England and being anti-Spanish, I am afraid she will never do well thinking like that. Children need to aspire to be like their classmates in order to make the considerable effort to integrate and improve their language skills. If she thinks of Spanish people and the language as stupid and different to her then emotionally she will never "opt-in" to her education and give herself a chance.

Where could she have got that attitude from though, that's the key? Maybe the other British kids at school are a bad influence?

She is the only British kid at the school she's at now! However at her previous school there were other British kids, but they were ... for the want of a better word chavvie and well... not good students. They didnt like my daughter and the Spanish kids at that school didnt like the Brits!

My daughter wants to go back to England - thats the bottom line! She doesnt like the heat, she doesnt like the dust, she doesnt like anything about Spain! She's nearly 13 and very hormonal - she doesnt like anything - well apart from her friends in the UK who are there doing all the things 13 yos do (and Green day????)! She's constantly talking to them on MSN and moaning to them about how she hates it here and they're constantly telling her how great things are over there!

I am doing all I can to get her used to things here, but that girl is a very tenatious and belligerent little madam. I've already got three grown up daughters who all went thru similar, but actually they were older when they went thru therir puberty issues and of course that was in the UK so I didnt have the Spanish thing thrown at me LOL!!!

So yes, we have issues!!!! whats to be done? give in to her?? nah, I doubt she'd be any better in the UK, she'd simply find something else to stamp her foot about or simply ignore her tantrums and tell her that if she doesnt make the effort then its herslef she's failing - not me! But I do feel a certain amount of guilt, but I'd never show that!

Jo xx
Old Apr 10th 2010, 7:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
You can tell you dont work in a school chick - all the teachers i have the priviledge of working with are fantastic n well motivated - but you can only teach if a child wants to learn - i am lucky enough to work in a special school n most of our kids want to learn so doesnt really apply to us - but i hear from other TAs in other schools (mainly main stream) who dont give a shite about their education n are there just to distrupt classes n make teachers lives hell - now how do you stay motivated when that is happening day in n day out - coz dont forget the child is always believed above the child

You are right I dont work in a school, and I dont like to be called CHICK.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 7:27 pm
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by JLFS
You are right I dont work in a school, and I dont like to be called CHICK.
But chicks are so cute !!! tweet tweet!!

Jo xxx
Old Apr 10th 2010, 7:29 pm
Banned

But chicks are so cute !!! tweet tweet!!

Jo xxx
Dont you start Jo................

I feel bad enough having the come on from another bloke, not to mention the little wink he gave me............................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.