Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

opinions please??

opinions please??

Old Apr 8th 2010, 7:01 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default opinions please??

There is a new school opening in Málaga. A new type of school! Its totally bilingual altho the lessons will be taught in English with Spanish along side until all pupils are fluent and confident. Its from infant up to 18 and follows the baccalaureate curriculum. The main difference is that the teaching staff are all to be shareholders of the school and have to make a 120,000€ investment to be able to work at the school. Its fee paying for pupils, altho its quite a bit cheaper than most other international and private schools.

http://www.colegiomit.com/index.php?lang=en

does anyone have any thoughts please????

Jo xxx
Old Apr 8th 2010, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all
Default Re: opinions please??

der green schlimer strikes again
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:27 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

if I could afford private bilingual school my 2 would be in one

BUT this one seems odd - & I'm not sure I would want my kids going to a brand new untried & untested school in any case

there have been several cases of new schools opening in my area without the proper licences, only to be closed down - I would check that out too, very carefully

MIT - isn't that a well-respected Uni in the states? maybe a bit of subliminal messaging in the school's name?

the English on the website is seriously odd - it looks like a bad online translator has been used - the sentence construction is very Spanish - & whoever heard of a 'luminous' room? badly translated from luminoso probably
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
if I could afford private bilingual school my 2 would be in one

BUT this one seems odd - & I'm not sure I would want my kids going to a brand new untried & untested school in any case

there have been several cases of new schools opening in my area without the proper licences, only to be closed down - I would check that out too, very carefully

MIT - isn't that a well-respected Uni in the states? maybe a bit of subliminal messaging in the school's name?

the English on the website is seriously odd - it looks like a bad online translator has been used - the sentence construction is very Spanish - & whoever heard of a 'luminous' room? badly translated from luminoso probably

Sounds like a school built on the fads of what nouvo-riche parents want.

All talk of English, psycho-babble and dieticians. And as Lynnxa says the English on the website isnt the best so what hope do the children have!

Nonsense
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:18 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really grateful for your comments and thoughts. Obviously I'm toying with this for my kids. I know a few parents around here who are "going for it" cos they think it sounds so good!!!! "Too good to be true"??????????????

So far I've found out that the land the school has been built on was donated to them by the local Junta, who are very keen for this to work!?! The building work has cost 3 million euros and is nearly finished (I went to see the site yesterday, it looks very impressive and is due to be completed in June). They have so far 25 teachers/investors who have all given over 120,000€ each and they have 250 definite pupils and over 500 define maybes???????

Its built in the Málaga technology park with a view to getting the children who's parents work there into the school, thus creating a local interest in its achievements and survival.

Jo xxx
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
I'm really grateful for your comments and thoughts. Obviously I'm toying with this for my kids. I know a few parents around here who are "going for it" cos they think it sounds so good!!!! "Too good to be true"??????????????

So far I've found out that the land the school has been built on was donated to them by the local Junta, who are very keen for this to work!?! The building work has cost 3 million euros and is nearly finished (I went to see the site yesterday, it looks very impressive and is due to be completed in June). They have so far 25 teachers/investors who have all given over 120,000€ each and they have 250 definite pupils and over 500 define maybes???????

Its built in the Málaga technology park with a view to getting the children who's parents work there into the school, thus creating a local interest in its achievements and survival.

Jo xxx

How can a teacher invest 120,000 euros? Are they thieving money from the ayuntamiento or selling coke on the side?

And even if a teacher could invest that, are we saying they select teachers based on how much money they have? Doesnt sound legal, ethical or make much sense

Btw the pictures look lovely, they are certainly good at marketing, but overly good marketing always raises my suspicions
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:57 am
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by cricketman
How can a teacher invest 120,000 euros? Are they thieving money from the ayuntamiento or selling coke on the side?

And even if a teacher could invest that, are we saying they select teachers based on how much money they have? Doesnt sound legal, ethical or make much sense

Btw the pictures look lovely, they are certainly good at marketing, but overly good marketing always raises my suspicions
The pictures do look good dont they - I dont know about all of them, but the building itself, altho not finished is looking very much like it does in the picture - well nearly, needs a bit of paint and the windows put in.

As for the investment - well many an entrepeuner finds the money to invest in businesses that involve their own work and I guess the idea is that in the fullness of time, their hard work and dedication will pay off and they'll reap some decent dividends as well as a salary - maybe if it works they could all be retired and living the life of luxury in 20 years and employing normal teachers to run their school????????? They could just become shareholders in a successful business??????????

Jo xxx
Old Apr 9th 2010, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

There is a new school opening in Málaga. A new type of school! Its totally bilingual altho the lessons will be taught in English with Spanish along side until all pupils are fluent and confident. Its from infant up to 18 and follows the baccalaureate curriculum. The main difference is that the teaching staff are all to be shareholders of the school and have to make a 120,000€ investment to be able to work at the school. Its fee paying for pupils, altho its quite a bit cheaper than most other international and private schools.

http://www.colegiomit.com/index.php?lang=en

does anyone have any thoughts please????

Jo xxx
Why would you choose this school? Is it just because it is bilingual?
Children pick up the lingo far faster and better than us old 'uns so I can't see the advantage in paying money just for this.
If they are claiming a higher academic curriculum you are never going to know if that is true if it is a new school.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 11:58 am
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
Children pick up the lingo far faster and better than us old 'uns so I can't see the advantage in paying money just for this.
If they are claiming a higher academic curriculum you are never going to know if that is true if it is a new school.

I havent chosen it!! I'm interested in it because yes, its bilingual. My daughter who is nearly 13 has been in a state school now for over a year and has learnt nothing at all - especially not Spanish, but all her education is suffering as a result! Some of her Spanish friends are planning to go to this new school and it is mainly aimed at Spanish who are keen for their children to learn English. Even the school my daughter is at has a bilingual category altho its only available to the Spanish and has a waiting list

My son is 15 and at an international school and is in the middle of his IGCSE courses, but its possible if this school is going to be given licence to teach the IB, it may be worth moving him there!!

But its an interesting concept and one I've not heard of before. I wondered if anyone else had or had any thoughts about it!

Jo xxx
Old Apr 9th 2010, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
My OH went to a fee paying school in Asturias. They had international students come and go from all over the world although there were only a handful at any one time. She said it took the non-Spanish students 1 year at the school to become fluent in Spanish then they would get move into the same classes as the Spanish students.

I've heard so many stories about British children not improving their Spanish at schools here in Spain. What is going wrong?
Old Apr 9th 2010, 1:39 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

I havent chosen it!! I'm interested in it because yes, its bilingual. My daughter who is nearly 13 has been in a state school now for over a year and has learnt nothing at all - especially not Spanish, but all her education is suffering as a result! Some of her Spanish friends are planning to go to this new school and it is mainly aimed at Spanish who are keen for their children to learn English. Even the school my daughter is at has a bilingual category altho its only available to the Spanish and has a waiting list

My son is 15 and at an international school and is in the middle of his IGCSE courses, but its possible if this school is going to be given licence to teach the IB, it may be worth moving him there!!

But its an interesting concept and one I've not heard of before. I wondered if anyone else had or had any thoughts about it!

Jo xxx
I think it sounds like a great option !

Your child will be taught in English and still mix with Spanish/other nationalities. Perfect!

I can understand how difficult it is for our children (in spanish state) who do not have spanish as a first language to keep up with the classwork/homework. New vocab and new learning.

This school would help her to concentrate on learning without the language difficulty.

What does your daughter think about it? If her friends are going, I'm sure she'll be keen.

Not an easy decision but go with your gut feeling when you go and see it.

Old Apr 9th 2010, 1:49 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

My OH went to a fee paying school in Asturias. They had international students come and go from all over the world although there were only a handful at any one time. She said it took the non-Spanish students 1 year at the school to become fluent in Spanish then they would get move into the same classes as the Spanish students.

I've heard so many stories about British children not improving their Spanish at schools here in Spain. What is going wrong?
Main problems I think :

Some kids are too old - 9 or more
Some kids have parents who aren't bothered
Some kids aren't bothered
Some kids don't get much needed help in class

For me I think my daughter was too old..She was 9 (although had many months of daily private tuition). So she is struggling but I am helping her as much as I can. She's only 11 now but if she continues struggling, I too will have to consider other options (like jojo is). Wait till you have kids !! Nightmare..
Old Apr 9th 2010, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by manamama
Main problems I think :

Some kids are too old - 9 or more
Some kids have parents who aren't bothered
Some kids aren't bothered
Some kids don't get much needed help in class

For me I think my daughter was too old..She was 9 (although had many months of daily private tuition). So she is struggling but I am helping her as much as I can. She's only 11 now but if she continues struggling, I too will have to consider other options (like jojo is). Wait till you have kids !! Nightmare..
I'll be alright, they'll be bilingual from birth. Luckily it is easier for mixed nationality couples.

My nephews have a Spanish mum, Swedish dad and live in France and are fluent in all 3 languages (they are 2 and 3 years old). Interestingly they speak to each other in French!
Old Apr 9th 2010, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be alright, they'll be bilingual from birth. Luckily it is easier for mixed nationality couples.

My nephews have a Spanish mum, Swedish dad and live in France and are fluent in all 3 languages (they are 2 and 3 years old). Interestingly they speak to each other in French!
this is the school thats advertised on the spanish radio all the time ?
Old Apr 9th 2010, 2:29 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Jo xxx
there are lots of bilingual schools in Spain jojo, it's not a new thing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.