Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

opinions please??

opinions please??

Old Apr 26th 2010, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: opinions please??

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
You'll look at state schools, you'll look at the type of kids who will be your childrens new friends and mentors and you will then work out where they're all heading in the future....

Jo xxx
What a hateful comment

Like I said, my friends and I all went to state school, got As across the board, got great degrees from good unis and now have very good jobs. So why should I go private?

It is the intelligence of the child that is most important. To get good exam grades all you have to do is read the book that goes with the course and practice some exercises. And now kids have the internet there are no reasons why a smart kid shouldnt get an A if they want it.

In my experience, parents who got rubbish grades themselves blame the schooling and education system for their failure which is why they are so up tight about where their kids go to school (when they have enough money to go private). I say learning is 70% down to the individual, 20% down to the parents and 10% down to the teachers.

If my child had a bad teacher in a subject and was getting bad marks, I would teach them myself for a couple of hours each week, or if I didnt have the time, hire someone else to do so. I guess less educated parents arent able to do this
Old Apr 26th 2010, 3:20 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

There is more to a child's education than just cramming them for exams. Things like good sports,art etc. facilities. There is also character and confidence building. There are some excellent state schools but there are more that aren't. Who would send their bright child to one of the mediocre ones with the possibility they may follow their outlook. Bright, intelligent kids who want to study are often bullied in state schools.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
There is more to a child's education than just cramming them for exams. Things like good sports,art etc. facilities. There is also character and confidence building. There are some excellent state schools but there are more that aren't. Who would send their bright child to one of the mediocre ones with the possibility they may follow their outlook. Bright, intelligent kids who want to study are often bullied in state schools.
I agree with jackytoo, woohoo

I guess that is one thing private shools do give, peace-of-mind to the parents. But only if they have an excellent record of achievement in education and sport that is. Like 90% going to red brick unis and five England rugby captains
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:06 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
What a hateful comment

Like I said, my friends and I all went to state school, got As across the board, got great degrees from good unis and now have very good jobs. So why should I go private?

It is the intelligence of the child that is most important. To get good exam grades all you have to do is read the book that goes with the course and practice some exercises. And now kids have the internet there are no reasons why a smart kid shouldnt get an A if they want it.

In my experience, parents who got rubbish grades themselves blame the schooling and education system for their failure which is why they are so up tight about where their kids go to school (when they have enough money to go private). I say learning is 70% down to the individual, 20% down to the parents and 10% down to the teachers.

If my child had a bad teacher in a subject and was getting bad marks, I would teach them myself for a couple of hours each week, or if I didnt have the time, hire someone else to do so. I guess less educated parents arent able to do this
No, not a hateful comment. It depends how you read it. Yes, education is much more than exam results it also about the other kids they mix with and the standards and behaviour of those around them, kids will act like their friends and will learn as much from those they hang around with than a teacher! I was lucky I went to a good state school, went on the further education, got A levels and a degree - for all the good it did me LOL. I didnt hang around with the right crowd obviously!

Like a say, you'll understand when you have kids, its about the overall package and worse than that its about the childs own personality - which will jump up and bite any plans you may have!!!!

Jo x
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

I went to a comprehensive and although I got good grades, went on to university, etc etc, I find that my friends who went to a "good" school (whether private or otherwise) seem to have more connections with a "better class" of people (meant in the nicest possible way!) in the sense that they may be of use in the future in terms of networking, etc. My husband went to a private school in South America with people who are now architects, doctors, politicians blah blah blah, and I have to say that my school didn't exactly turn out many of those! I think that if I had gone to a better school I may have been more focused and guided into following a career path, whereas my school was just happy for people to get a few O levels and off you go! As always on these threads, it is a question of the individual case: there are probably private schools that are just money machines that give mediocre results, and state schools with a great philosophy that turn out well rounded children.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
What is the situation with language teachers in the UK? Are they expected to have a degree in the language itself as well as teaching qualifications? (I would imagine they are...)
Yes, for secondary, but not for primary. Primary teachers will have a degree but not necessarily languages. They are just expected to be good at everything.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 5:19 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

No, not a hateful comment. It depends how you read it. Yes, education is much more than exam results it also about the other kids they mix with and the standards and behaviour of those around them, kids will act like their friends and will learn as much from those they hang around with than a teacher! I was lucky I went to a good state school, went on the further education, got A levels and a degree - for all the good it did me LOL. I didnt hang around with the right crowd obviously!

Like a say, you'll understand when you have kids, its about the overall package and worse than that its about the childs own personality - which will jump up and bite any plans you may have!!!!

Jo x

Doesn`t matter what type of school, kids follow their parents way and attitude, sometimes unfortunately, but mostly fortunately.
You need to give them love and try to guide them in the right direction, but the more you push the more they tilt the other way, you have to keep a balance.
Getting them involved with sport will change and enhance their lives for the best, you just can`t keep expecting them to cram lessons all the time.
I have coached a variety of kids, posh ones, soft ones, urban and really rough under privileged, but they all enjoyed the Gymnastics and they were all part of the family.
Very competetive, but also helping each other out to achieve the same grades.
We shared their problems they had at home and in the gym, as they say a problem shared is a problem halved, also most left with a totally different attitude to life than when they arrived.
I could waffle on about it for ages, but you will usually find the parents are too blame for kids bad behaviour.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 7:04 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Doesn`t matter what type of school, kids follow their parents way and attitude, sometimes unfortunately, but mostly fortunately.
You need to give them love and try to guide them in the right direction, but the more you push the more they tilt the other way, you have to keep a balance.
Getting them involved with sport will change and enhance their lives for the best, you just can`t keep expecting them to cram lessons all the time.
I have coached a variety of kids, posh ones, soft ones, urban and really rough under privileged, but they all enjoyed the Gymnastics and they were all part of the family.
Very competetive, but also helping each other out to achieve the same grades.
We shared their problems they had at home and in the gym, as they say a problem shared is a problem halved, also most left with a totally different attitude to life than when they arrived.
I could waffle on about it for ages, but you will usually find the parents are too blame for kids bad behaviour.
Hhhmm, well I cant stand the gym, nor do I like any sports at all. In fact the top question on the application form for my future husband was "Do you like sports?" Fortunately the answer was no, or I wouldnt have married him lol!!!!!

As for parents being the cause of their childrens bad behavious, I agree to a point, certainly when they're young, but sometimes they get easily lead. I know that good kids are from good homes, but certainly when they get hit by teenage hormones, they may get into scrapes and rebellious acts, which have to be managed very carefully!!! Thats a time in their lives where they could throw everything away or lose direction without good parental guidance and even then it can go terribly wrong! I've got 3 older daughters and the teenage years were not a good time, we got thru it, but I had to be very cunning and astute to keep them on the straight and narrow !!!!!

Jo xxx
Old Apr 26th 2010, 7:24 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Hhhmm, well I cant stand the gym, nor do I like any sports at all. In fact the top question on the application form for my future husband was "Do you like sports?" Fortunately the answer was no, or I wouldnt have married him lol!!!!!

As for parents being the cause of their childrens bad behavious, I agree to a point, certainly when they're young, but sometimes they get easily lead. I know that good kids are from good homes, but certainly when they get hit by teenage hormones, they may get into scrapes and rebellious acts, which have to be managed very carefully!!! Thats a time in their lives where they could throw everything away or lose direction without good parental guidance and even then it can go terribly wrong! I've got 3 older daughters and the teenage years were not a good time, we got thru it, but I had to be very cunning and astute to keep them on the straight and narrow !!!!!

Jo xxx
Kinda proves my point, they probably would of made good gymnasts and you would of had an easier time.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 7:52 pm
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by jdr
Kinda proves my point, they probably would of made good gymnasts and you would of had an easier time.
Ok, I've ruined their lives, they were cruelly and unfairly deprived of sports and robbed of their potential fame and fortune. I'm a bad mummy

Actually my eldest who is 27 is a keen horsewoman and owns a horse. She's always loved horses, as does my youngest, who rides every week - there a bit of sport in the family!!!

Jo xxx
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Ok, I've ruined their lives, they were cruelly and unfairly deprived of sports and robbed of their potential fame and fortune. I'm a bad mummy

Actually my eldest who is 27 is a keen horsewoman and owns a horse. She's always loved horses, as does my youngest, who rides every week - there a bit of sport in the family!!!

Jo xxx
That`s not a sport, that`s just sitting about while someone else does the work.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:21 pm
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by jdr
That`s not a sport, that`s just sitting about while someone else does the work.
Ah, all my kids are good at that one

Jo xxx