Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

opinions please??

opinions please??

Old Apr 24th 2010, 9:14 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: opinions please??

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
The Lake Classroom looks great by the way, lessons by the lake, I don't know why more schools don't do classes outside, get kids interested in nature and wildlife, however low key, as so many parents never teach their children anything about the natural world and some kids are growing up not loving the natural world. Just my little environmental education rant!
the state primary school my dd goes to has its own huerta where they grow veggies & flowers

they often have lessons outside too - no lake on site but the beach isn't far & they make use of it

last term in PE they did rollerblading & skated along the prom
Old Apr 24th 2010, 9:19 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
the state primary school my dd goes to has its own huerta where they grow veggies & flowers

they often have lessons outside too - no lake on site but the beach isn't far & they make use of it

last term in PE they did rollerblading & skated along the prom

My sons school often has lessons outside in the countryside, under the trees and by the schools ponds - that was partly what sold me the school my son attends at present. Out in the middle of nowhere with beautiful scenery, wide open spaces and peace! However, I'm not sure where they're gonna put this lake at MIT, cos its not a large plot of land and its in the middle of the Technology park which isnt exactly a tranquill place by any stretch!!!

Jo xxxx
Old Apr 24th 2010, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
My sons school often has lessons outside in the countryside, under the trees and by the schools ponds - that was partly what sold me the school my son attends at present. Out in the middle of nowhere with beautiful scenery, wide open spaces and peace! However, I'm not sure where they're gonna put this lake at MIT, cos its not a large plot of land and its in the middle of the Technology park which isnt exactly a tranquill place by any stretch!!!

Jo xxxx
I always thought that paying for education is a waste of money. Talent usually shines through, just look at the amount of doctors that come from the poorest African villages that dont even have electricity.

Maybe when we have kids I'll send them to state school but instead put 10k a year in a trust so when they finish uni they will have a 200k trust fund to help them on their way. Sounds like a better investment that private education.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 10:23 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Is that good enough tho?? Who'd be teaching who and what?

Jo xxx
no it's not good enough is it?

We moan about the teaching of English in the state schools - but then it doesn't really affect our (English) kids - & we're not paying either

if I was paying to send my kids to a bilingual school I'd expect them to be taught English to a very high level by native English speakers - just as I would expect them to be taught Spanish to a high level by native Spanish speakers.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

no it's not good enough is it?

We moan about the teaching of English in the state schools - but then it doesn't really affect our (English) kids - & we're not paying either

if I was paying to send my kids to a bilingual school I'd expect them to be taught English to a very high level by native English speakers - just as I would expect them to be taught Spanish to a high level by native Spanish speakers.
I dont think language learners should necessarily be native, that is descriminatory and unfair to those who werent born in a country but have excellent language abilities.

The teacher should have a very high level of the language and a degree in language teaching. There are tests and qualifications that can determine the level of a language abilities very easily.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 10:45 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I dont think language learners should necessarily be native, that is descriminatory and unfair to those who werent born in a country but have excellent language abilities.

The teacher should have a very high level of the language and a degree in language teaching. There are tests and qualifications that can determine the level of a language abilities very easily.
Discrimination or not, yes all bilingual teachers should be totally and utterly bilingual - just being able to speak and write english (or vice versa) or passing a test wouldnt be good enough - well not for my kids, cos I want the very best for them! and I guess everyone feels the same

Jo xxx
Old Apr 24th 2010, 11:02 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

My two kids went to both State and private schools. Private schools are the best if you can afford it. I know some do well from state schools but not as many. If you want the best for them you want them to start from a level playing field. We were fortunate that OH's company paid for them from aged 11...it is a good perk.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 11:14 am
squeaky clean

So, kind of back to the topic, YEATS, sell me the school, tell us why you've chosen it and what you've found out about it! I'm very interested to hear all the facts, opinions and views - good and bad

Jo xxx
Old Apr 24th 2010, 12:44 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by cricketman

ok teachers might not need to be native (I teach Spanish)

I would expect a very high level of language knowledge in a bilingual school though - certainly much much higher than the English teachers in state schools - who I presume have passed all sorts of tests & qualifications.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 2:24 pm
squeaky clean

I would expect a very high level of language knowledge in a bilingual school though - certainly much much higher than the English teachers in state schools - who I presume have passed all sorts of tests & qualifications.

But you wouldnt just be looking at "English" teachers. ALL subjects across the board are to be taught in English/bilingually. So the maths teacher and science teacher would need to be word perfect in English too

Jo xxx
Old Apr 24th 2010, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Deb801 is an unknown quantity at this point

But you wouldnt just be looking at "English" teachers. ALL subjects across the board are to be taught in English/bilingually. So the maths teacher and science teacher would need to be word perfect in English too

Jo xxx
My daughter is in a bi lingual class in her secondary school. The so called English teacher isnt very good at all she says alot of words wrong, when the english kids put there hands up to tell her she is wrong ie: you say it like this, they are told they are being disrespectful she has studied in UK and this is how you say it. Believe me she is wrong!!!! In my experience of spanish teachers speaking English the MIT school really need to pick hightly qualified teachers in their field they teach, with excellent knowledge of English. Otherwise It wont work!!!
Old Apr 24th 2010, 3:52 pm
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by Deb801
My daughter is in a bi lingual class in her secondary school. The so called English teacher isnt very good at all she says alot of words wrong, when the english kids put there hands up to tell her she is wrong ie: you say it like this, they are told they are being disrespectful she has studied in UK and this is how you say it. Believe me she is wrong!!!! In my experience of spanish teachers speaking English the MIT school really need to pick hightly qualified teachers in their field they teach, with excellent knowledge of English. Otherwise It wont work!!!
........ and they've gotta have a spare 120,000€ laying around

Jo xx
Old Apr 24th 2010, 4:15 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Teacher in my daughters English class marked her answer as wrong:

Abuela - grandma (wrong, correct answer grandmother)
Old Apr 24th 2010, 4:28 pm
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by manamama

My daughter pronouced chemist as "Kemist" and was told it was wrong infront of the whole class. Its "CHemist" CH, as in CHild, CHoice, CHair..... Being the only english kid in the class they all fell about laughing cos the english girl got it wrong!

Jo xxx
Old Apr 24th 2010, 4:31 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manamama

What a fool, I have seen peoples work marked by "English" teachers and sometimes I have to laugh.

I saw the word teabag marked as wrong and the teacher wrote that the right answer was "sackette"

I think she might have confused it with "sachet" which is very different to a tea bag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.