Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Its time for me to move on !

Its time for me to move on !

Old Jan 27th 2012, 12:06 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its time for me to move on !

I for one understand where J2 is coming from.

If somebody would have told all the Italians, Spanish and other resident aliens that came to the UK to do the mopping and waitering jobs ect ,a few decades ago, that British people would be doing the same "menial jobs"in countires like Spain, they would have laughed.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 12:28 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, even on the costa most spaniards use immigrants to clean. Used to see the phillipinos walking up the street every day to their jobs. May be different now but every Spanish man used to aspire to getting his wife a cleaner, it was a status symbol to show that they had made it

Stevie you have mis-understood me (as usual, putting a slant on what I said. I didn't say that Spain was boring...I was never bored in Spain. I said "what does it SAY about Spain" meaning to wannabees, if people are bored enough to go clean out someones oven. Aren't people on here saying it's all fiesta time and sitting by the pool.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 1:04 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Didn't I just say that the Arabs have always visited I didn't say they weren't any tourists, just that the predictions of property being viable for a rental income is unlikely to be so for at least a few years. Why can't you get it that the spaniards who live in the area are saying the same as I am, just read the comments on the forums!
Please ... We all know that this nonsense about the economy being bad is all just a bunch of political hype, and doesn't really apply to Spain at all.

Just because there is a "Se Alquiler" sign on the 1000's of empty apartments, homes and businesses around here, shops closing at an alarming rate, 22% unemployment and rising.. and that the IMF, the OECD and virtually every credible economist on the planet is claiming with 100% certainty that Europe (Spain being among the worst hit) is facing its worst economic crisis since the great depression ...and the worst is still to come, well, that's no reason to believe anyone planning to move to Spain should have any difficulty - especially if they plan to buy a property to let. There are millions of them already.. So what's the problem?

It's a free country. I'd have to check, but I believe it may still be legal to place a "se alquiler" sign on your property - for as long as you like! For years if necccesary! Plenty of time! Chill out, please. (but check your local laws often, as the privilege of letting your property could change abruptly and without warning).

Your comments are so negative. Like many, you should instead heed the example of our highly credible political leadership and play down any negatives, or better yet, completely deny there is any problem at all - and the problem will eventually just "go away". Simples!

Everybody else does it, and it's worked just fine so far... and as you can see, things have only become a paltry 50% worse in the past several years.. So why worry?

What crisis? Stop spreading your bollocks, hate mongering and scare tactics. We aren't stupid, you know.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 1:10 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Your comments are so negative. Like many, you should instead heed the example of our highly credible political leadership and play down any negatives, or better yet, completely deny there is any problem at all - and the problem will eventually just "go away". Simples!

Everybody else does it, and it's worked just fine so far... and as you can see, things have only become a paltry 50% worse in the past several years.. So why worry?

What crisis? Stop spreading your bollocks, hate mongering and scare tactics. We aren't stupid, you know.
I am sure that the Spanish people who have lost their homes due to the lack of work would love to lay their hands on him and tell him exactly how difficult it is to ignore their problems and that they do not go away but become increasingly worse.

Rosemary
Old Jan 27th 2012, 3:09 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I am sure that the Spanish people who have lost their homes due to the lack of work would love to lay their hands on him and tell him exactly how difficult it is to ignore their problems and that they do not go away but become increasingly worse.

Rosemary
Rosemary, I really suspect that the post you are quoting was made with his tongue very much in his cheek, and might even qualify for the joke thread in Siesta time..
Old Jan 27th 2012, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
If somebody would have told all the Italians, Spanish and other resident aliens that came to the UK to do the mopping and waitering jobs ect ,a few decades ago, that British people would be doing the same "menial jobs"in countires like Spain, they would have laughed.
There are loads of young, well educated Spanish working in UK doing very menial jobs (over 20,000 more came last year alone), but for them it's a means to an end, it's to learn English to better their chances of well paid employment. Others stick these jobs until their English improves and then often move on to better, well paid jobs. Some return to Spain, many once they are earning decent wages, have to intention of returning in the short term. But it's strictly a stop gap move, they don't intend to end their days cleaning toilets for anyone. I wonder how many of these people would have been that bored in UK that they would have considered cleaning toilets.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 4:29 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
You could have said that in a so much nicer way and made your point in a way that people would listen and pay attention. Now you've probably got peoples backs up and spoilt the thread! Chill and be nice please!

Jo xxx
Sorry. Didn't mean to get peoples backs up or spoil any thread. Was kind of joking with Jackytoo's response. That other fella gets on me wick.. I'll chill.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

tonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Thanks to all for interesting insights on life in Spain, it seems that if you plan and listen to all aspects of the problems you would likely encounter, at least you will be prepared for disappointments, if unemployed in the U.K. you get more benefits than Spain, my (evolving) plan is to buy a flat here in Bournemouth, (in case it all goes wrong), and a place in Spain, in which to live, using the income from the rental income from the place in U.K. The obvious disadvantage is that you are then reliant upon exchange rates, but some others are doing this, ps i'm not relying on value of prop. in Spain increasing in value, I'm ok if it decreases in value, having the place in U.K. to come back to, when (maybe ), job prospects may improve. I'm fortunate in that I will not need to re-mortgage anything. Can anyone see any potential flaws? I have looked at some posts in other Spanish expat forums which have talked about the cost of living in Spain, which I am considering, and I am aware of the Spanish economy not being that good, I am considering moving as a "change, and new challenge", but will listen to any advice, good, or bad,
and make an informed decision. I am willing to do ANY job, as I'm not proud, and willing to take the risk.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

tonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by agoreira
There are loads of young, well educated Spanish working in UK doing very menial jobs (over 20,000 more came last year alone), but for them it's a means to an end, it's to learn English to better their chances of well paid employment. Others stick these jobs until their English improves and then often move on to better, well paid jobs. Some return to Spain, many once they are earning decent wages, have to intention of returning in the short term. But it's strictly a stop gap move, they don't intend to end their days cleaning toilets for anyone. I wonder how many of these people would have been that bored in UK that they would have considered cleaning toilets.
I know of medically trained Spaniards that came to the U.K. to work, but returned when they experienced our cost of living
Old Jan 27th 2012, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
I have a wife and two kids. No dog yet but I do want one. Everything has been great for me out here. I've landed jobs here with exceptional opportunities. Much more than I would have had in Blighty so I just hate it when people deter people from moving here as if I hadn't moved here I would be still a nothingness in UK. It just seems sometimes like people want to put people off moving here because they are too ill equipped. Concern is good. Negativity is not. But negativity seems to be implied a lot, rather like 'Oh I can live out here and manage but you will surely not manage with your lack of language skills and lack of money stay in crap England with no money'.
Sorry to go on, I like people to take a leap. It might just be the best thing they ever do. Like it was for me.

I totally understand what you're saying.
Hi Lushdaddy, your comments are welcome, there's a lot of negative stuff from some bloggers, guess they're the sort that would moan wherever they are !
Old Jan 27th 2012, 5:37 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonysallis1
I know of medically trained Spaniards that came to the U.K. to work, but returned when they experienced our cost of living
The problem is that there are thousands of people willing to do any job. Eastern Europeans and a whole host of South Americans, who have a good knowledge of the language
Old Jan 27th 2012, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Since tourist numbers were 57 million in 2011, and expected to grow in 2012, I would have thought there is scope to rent out in the right areas. However, this wouldn't be full occupancy over the year?

http://en.europeonline-magazine.eu/s...is_180444.html

The Spanish talkboards like this one advise anyone moving to Spain, to rent for a while before choosing to buy. Maybe it would be smart to target the new British arrivals?

Alternatively, as suggested above, target a niche. Very dangerous again, if you are relying just on high season. For example this report shows Russian tourism to Spain is growing now, but would high season just be a couple of months rent, and the rest of the year vacant?

http://singularspain.com/tourism-2/r...l-and-majorca/
http://www.diariosur.es/v/20111221/t...-20111221.html

Edit: Looks like the Arabs are coming to Spain too, for reasons I can't figure out...

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/emira...in-442541.html
once again many thanks for your valuable info
Old Jan 27th 2012, 5:42 pm
Banned

Hi Lushdaddy, your comments are welcome, there's a lot of negative stuff from some bloggers, guess they're the sort that would moan wherever they are !
Try not to get youself a reputation as a plonker, when people are telling you how it is widely portrayed all over the Spanish media, it is hard for the natives pop, so they chances are it will not turn out great for a new arrival. why not take it on board, and wonder why they are telling you.

For every "success" story, there are a lot more hardship ones.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 5:43 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all for interesting insights on life in Spain, it seems that if you plan and listen to all aspects of the problems you would likely encounter, at least you will be prepared for disappointments, if unemployed in the U.K. you get more benefits than Spain, my (evolving) plan is to buy a flat here in Bournemouth, (in case it all goes wrong), and a place in Spain, in which to live, using the income from the rental income from the place in U.K. The obvious disadvantage is that you are then reliant upon exchange rates, but some others are doing this, ps i'm not relying on value of prop. in Spain increasing in value, I'm ok if it decreases in value, having the place in U.K. to come back to, when (maybe ), job prospects may improve. I'm fortunate in that I will not need to re-mortgage anything. Can anyone see any potential flaws? I have looked at some posts in other Spanish expat forums which have talked about the cost of living in Spain, which I am considering, and I am aware of the Spanish economy not being that good, I am considering moving as a "change, and new challenge", but will listen to any advice, good, or bad,
and make an informed decision. I am willing to do ANY job, as I'm not proud, and willing to take the risk.
I think you are on track but you need to have the contingency that you may not get ANY job at all.

I don't understand why Spaniards would get a suprise by the cost of living in the UK. My relative, an eye consultant is paid a pittance compared with the UK consultants. My opinion there is no difference in the CoL except for booze and fags. 3 times average salary in the UK should more than make up for it were it to be true!
Old Jan 27th 2012, 5:51 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

once again many thanks for your valuable info
One thing you have to remember, there is no benefit system to fall back on, unless you are employed and on a contract or are a pensioner, or self employed paying the autonomo, then you will have to pay for all health care, even visits to the GP, and there is no specific prescription charge, you pay the cost of the drug, which may mean that your drugs are cheaper than in the UK, but in quite a number of circumstances they are a lot dearer. You can, of course, take out private medical insurance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.