Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Its time for me to move on !

Its time for me to move on !

Old Jan 26th 2012, 7:18 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its time for me to move on !

Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
I have a wife and two kids. No dog yet but I do want one. Everything has been great for me out here. I've landed jobs here with exceptional opportunities. Much more than I would have had in Blighty so I just hate it when people deter people from moving here as if I hadn't moved here I would be still a nothingness in UK. It just seems sometimes like people want to put people off moving here because they are too ill equipped. Concern is good. Negativity is not. But negativity seems to be implied a lot, rather like 'Oh I can live out here and manage but you will surely not manage with your lack of language skills and lack of money stay in crap England with no money'.
Sorry to go on, I like people to take a leap. It might just be the best thing they ever do. Like it was for me.

I totally understand what you're saying.
Very well said that man
Old Jan 26th 2012, 7:52 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Your luck was the exception, not the rule as things stand and I'm really pleased for you. However, I personally cant bring myself to advise people to give up homes, jobs, families in the UK on a dream, cos if it doesnt go well - what then??? The odds are stacked against people. and we have to tell them, or we'd be lying - You can see that I'm sure. At least then if they choose to give it a go, they are informed and know what they're facing! I hate being negative, but they ask the question and deserve honest answers. Mind you some on this forum can over kill the answer sometimes lol!!!

Jo xxx
I am with you on this JO.

TBH there are enough Spanish chasing every job, and as for jobs with "prospects" they are alreay in the bag for a relative or cronie.

As for pay and living on less money that was needed in the UK, yes it can be done, I know families who live a 500 to 600 per month, but it is not highly recommended.

That is not to say there are not exceptions.......and I would have thought that it was public knowledge by now that there is a recession on in Spain, and that it would seem logical to stay put and conserve what you have at home.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:13 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I am with you on this JO.

TBH there are enough Spanish chasing every job, and as for jobs with "prospects" they are alreay in the bag for a relative or cronie.

As for pay and living on less money that was needed in the UK, yes it can be done, I know families who live a 500 to 600 per month, but it is not highly recommended.

That is not to say there are not exceptions.......and I would have thought that it was public knowledge by now that there is a recession on in Spain, and that it would seem logical to stay put and conserve what you have at home.
Your luck was the exception, not the rule as things stand and I'm really pleased for you. However, I personally cant bring myself to advise people to give up homes, jobs, families in the UK on a dream, cos if it doesnt go well - what then??? The odds are stacked against people. and we have to tell them, or we'd be lying - You can see that I'm sure. At least then if they choose to give it a go, they are informed and know what they're facing! I hate being negative, but they ask the question and deserve honest answers. Mind you some on this forum can over kill the answer sometimes lol!!!

Jo xxx
I get fed up with people accusing us of being too positive or too negative when most of us try to put people in the picture in an honest way.

The recession is having such a bad effect on the Spanish people that I would never encourage anyone to take a chance and come over to look for a job, I would feel that I was putting someone into a bad situation. Those that have guaranteed work to come to and retirees or people with an income are the lucky ones.

Some are lucky and gain work via relations and friends but unfortunately for every relative or friend that is helped there are a lot of others not so lucky and are disgruntled.

I think that a couple of years ago it would have been much easier to just pop across and try your hand but these are different times now.

All we can do is to continue being straight forward and honest with posters.

Rosemary
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:26 am
Banned

grela.fdez is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Rosemary,

I am new on here and I do agree.

I am living in England, at the moment with my divorced mother, who divorced my father.

We have lived in Spain about a few times. And it is difficult, for us, we have better jobs here and like to go back but the time is not right.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:40 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grela.fdez
Hello Rosemary,

I am living in England, at the moment with my divorced mother, who divorced my father.

We have lived in Spain about a few times. And it is difficult, for us, we have better jobs here and like to go back but the time is not right.
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:48 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grela.fdez
Hello Rosemary,

FDEZ? There are a few other Spanish who are members, welcome, Grela.

I am another FDEZ........
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tonysallis1
i'm thinking of moving to Alicante area, is this where you work because I could take your place if so
Unfortunatly we are in inland andalucia. Which is much better than Alicante!!!!!
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:31 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

It would be helpful if those who have moved and found there are better job prospects in Spain post as to how they did it and what they do. Perhaps the 33% unemployed spaniards in andalucía would like to know too.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 10:55 am
Banned

grela.fdez is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jackytoo
It would be helpful if those who have moved and found there are better job prospects in Spain post as to how they did it and what they do. Perhaps the 33% unemployed spaniards in andalucía would like to know too.
We moved back to and back here a few times.

My mother job was cleaning "casas rurales" in Segovia, but it was good then went bad, and she was put out of the job.

Things were bad so we came back to England to live with my brother.

Now we have our own flat, and it is better,but I will like to go to Spain to live, AGAIN, but not now.

Graciela.

Nice to know other FDEZ,
Old Jan 26th 2012, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

Good idea, it might give others some inspiration.

As for us, we had no need to work, but this is what we do now....

We work for an estate agents, although things are not great at the moment property is still selling.

We clean and maintain a few holiday homes, including seeing guests in and out etc. This pays quite well and we are quite busy with this for about 9 months of the year.

We work with a local language school. This includes all summer being part of a full english imersion course for children. The children stay with us from monday til friday, we feed them with english food, speak english with them, they watch english TV and play english games etc. They have classes everyday which are run by the school. Other british families in the village also host these children. The classes take place at our house as we have a lot of room, we also get payed for this on top of what we get for having the children. In the winter we host adults at the weekends, who also want to learn english.

The language school has also just opened a new school in the local town, so I guess we will also get involved with teaching there..... if we have time!!!!
Old Jan 26th 2012, 1:09 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cazzy1
Good idea, it might give others some inspiration.

As for us, we had no need to work, but this is what we do now....

We work for an estate agents, although things are not great at the moment property is still selling.

We clean and maintain a few holiday homes, including seeing guests in and out etc. This pays quite well and we are quite busy with this for about 9 months of the year.

We work with a local language school. This includes all summer being part of a full english imersion course for children. The children stay with us from monday til friday, we feed them with english food, speak english with them, they watch english TV and play english games etc. They have classes everyday which are run by the school. Other british families in the village also host these children. The classes take place at our house as we have a lot of room, we also get payed for this on top of what we get for having the children. In the winter we host adults at the weekends, who also want to learn english.

The language school has also just opened a new school in the local town, so I guess we will also get involved with teaching there..... if we have time!!!!
Thats the way to do it. To have an income and that gives you a buffer to enable you to settle and hopefully find work, cos it seems most work comes by knowing people and being part of a community. for a family to land with nothing but hope, isnt a good start to "the dream" especially as things are with mass unemployment. some may hit lucky, but one should always have a back up plan. Imagine having to unpick it all after 6 months cos the money has run out - having to go back to the UK with nothing, find accomodation, schools, jobs - and even having to tell everyone it didnt work........... !!

jo xxx
Old Jan 26th 2012, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I guess some will get by teaching English etc, others will be doing the jobs the Spanish don't want. I'm sure the people cleaning properties wouldn't have entertained doing that in UK, but needs must. Friends of ours, both ex well paid professional people, earning big money in UK, are now looking after and cleaning some holiday lets, I can only assume it's for something to do rather than for the money.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

tonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant future

Thats the way to do it. To have an income and that gives you a buffer to enable you to settle and hopefully find work, cos it seems most work comes by knowing people and being part of a community. for a family to land with nothing but hope, isnt a good start to "the dream" especially as things are with mass unemployment. some may hit lucky, but one should always have a back up plan. Imagine having to unpick it all after 6 months cos the money has run out - having to go back to the UK with nothing, find accomodation, schools, jobs - and even having to tell everyone it didnt work........... !!

jo xxx
hi jojo, you've done well in getting spanish children to help them with their English, how did you start up in that field?
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:41 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

I bet they would.

Originally Posted by agoreira
I guess some will get by teaching English etc, others will be doing the jobs the Spanish don't want. I'm sure the people cleaning properties wouldn't have entertained doing that in UK, but needs must. Friends of ours, both ex well paid professional people, earning big money in UK, are now looking after and cleaning some holiday lets, I can only assume it's for something to do rather than for the money.
You absolute joke. Absolute stupid joke you are. Why do you have to try and put people down just because they don't earn LOTS OF MONEY.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 10:19 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
I bet they would.

You absolute joke. Absolute stupid joke you are. Why do you have to try and put people down just because they don't earn LOTS OF MONEY.
You could have said that in a so much nicer way and made your point in a way that people would listen and pay attention. Now you've probably got peoples backs up and spoilt the thread! Chill and be nice please!

Jo xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.