Reload this Page >

Its time for me to move on !

Its time for me to move on !

Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:22 pm
pjr
Just Joined

pjr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Its time for me to move on !

Hi . Its time for me to move to a nice warm climate and take on new challenges, maybe around the Alicante area or further away eg. the canaries .Or any good ideas of areas ?. My main field of work would be in sand/grit blasting or doing welding repairs,on a self employed basis. I do not need to earn a fortune as I have decent rental income in the uk .Regards to all:
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:33 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its time for me to move on !

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

So glad that you have said that you do not need to earn a fortune because to be perfectly honest with you Spain is having huge difficulties at present. Spanish people are finding it extremely hard to find work so anyone from other countries need to have excellent Spanish and be in the right place at the right time.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:56 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pjr
Hi . Its time for me to move to a nice warm climate and take on new challenges, maybe around the Alicante area or further away eg. the canaries .Or any good ideas of areas ?. My main field of work would be in sand/grit blasting or doing welding repairs,on a self employed basis. I do not need to earn a fortune as I have decent rental income in the uk .Regards to all:

The work situation is bad in Spain and if you're self employed/autonomo you have to pay approx 250€ a month regardless of any earnings. But that said, if its just you, with no commitments or financial ties and you're getting enough rent to cover your expenses in Spain you might be able to get by???!!!! I guess it depends on how much your rent will provide you with

Jo xxx
Old Jan 24th 2012, 10:11 pm
pjr
Just Joined

pjr is an unknown quantity at this point

hi..I do have a sufficient uk income. I just want to do something different with my life. Do not want to work 5 days a week any more but i need to do something to keep myself sane and not get bored. Its the old story you know kids grown up . my partner is a qualified primary school teacher and she is starting to feel the same as me. I can turn my hand to most things .I does not have to be sand blasting or welding , its that the sand blasting was a very good number to be in. :-)
Old Jan 24th 2012, 10:30 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pjr
hi..I do have a sufficient uk income. I just want to do something different with my life. Do not want to work 5 days a week any more but i need to do something to keep myself sane and not get bored. Its the old story you know kids grown up . my partner is a qualified primary school teacher and she is starting to feel the same as me. I can turn my hand to most things .I does not have to be sand blasting or welding , its that the sand blasting was a very good number to be in. :-)
Theres little to turn your hand to as things are right now. Maybe worth coming over for an extended holiday and see how it goes???

Jo xxx
Old Jan 24th 2012, 11:35 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Decide what your objectives are, make a plan and go for it.

Be prepared. It is difficult to anticipate the problems you will encounter. It can be very stressful living and working in a foreign country. Spain is not for everyone, many give up and go home for a variety of reasons.

If you and your partner a glass half full people, it is better to look back and say I tried that rather than what if?

Last edited by missile; Jan 24th 2012 at 11:38 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

We moved to Spain thinking we would not need to work, but seem to work harder here then we did in the UK. We are quite lucky and work has found us. My husband has a good pension, but the extra helps pay for holidays and things. We have no regrets about moving to Spain, but would really like to sell up and return to the UK as grandchild number 3 is on the way, but the language school who we work for really don't want us to go as they use us for Residential stays for Spanish wanting the British experience, they want me to promise to sell to a Brit who will continue to work for them!!! A bit of a tall order LOL. There is work out there, but if you need an income it is hard, if not give it a try, you can always go back. At least you can say you tried it!!
Old Jan 25th 2012, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

Go to the Canary Islands, the only area in Spain with decent weather.

It seems as if u want to chillout for a bit, so they're perfect. Not too hot in summer and not too cold in winter.

Particularly interesting if u don't need to work, so you can spend your time in the great outdoors, sport, sport and sport.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

We considered the Canaries, but decided we didn't want to live on an Island. I grew up on the I.O.W and found it quite restricting. I do agree that the climate is better than mainland Spain though.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 7:50 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pjr
I have no idea where would suit you best but I would deffo try a move. I did and now I'm doing great over here. Lots of people put people off moving but it is worth trying. Good luck. Nice to see people putting positive responses about Spain. Nice.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 8:20 pm
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
I have no idea where would suit you best but I would deffo try a move. I did and now I'm doing great over here. Lots of people put people off moving but it is worth trying. Good luck. Nice to see people putting positive responses about Spain. Nice.
Spain is a lovely place if you have an outside income and no family commitments, costs etc... Its the "moving over with wife, two kids, grandma, two dogs, need a job, will do anything" posts that generally get a more negative response - and thats simply out of concern rather than deliberate unpleasantness

Jo xxx
Old Jan 25th 2012, 8:38 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Spain is a lovely place if you have an outside income and no family commitments, costs etc... Its the "moving over with wife, two kids, grandma, two dogs, need a job, will do anything" posts that generally get a more negative response - and thats simply out of concern rather than deliberate unpleasantness

Jo xxx
I have a wife and two kids. No dog yet but I do want one. Everything has been great for me out here. I've landed jobs here with exceptional opportunities. Much more than I would have had in Blighty so I just hate it when people deter people from moving here as if I hadn't moved here I would be still a nothingness in UK. It just seems sometimes like people want to put people off moving here because they are too ill equipped. Concern is good. Negativity is not. But negativity seems to be implied a lot, rather like 'Oh I can live out here and manage but you will surely not manage with your lack of language skills and lack of money stay in crap England with no money'.
Sorry to go on, I like people to take a leap. It might just be the best thing they ever do. Like it was for me.

I totally understand what you're saying.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 9:14 pm
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
I have a wife and two kids. No dog yet but I do want one. Everything has been great for me out here. I've landed jobs here with exceptional opportunities. Much more than I would have had in Blighty so I just hate it when people deter people from moving here as if I hadn't moved here I would be still a nothingness in UK. It just seems sometimes like people want to put people off moving here because they are too ill equipped. Concern is good. Negativity is not. But negativity seems to be implied a lot, rather like 'Oh I can live out here and manage but you will surely not manage with your lack of language skills and lack of money stay in crap England with no money'.
Sorry to go on, I like people to take a leap. It might just be the best thing they ever do. Like it was for me.

I totally understand what you're saying.
Your luck was the exception, not the rule as things stand and I'm really pleased for you. However, I personally cant bring myself to advise people to give up homes, jobs, families in the UK on a dream, cos if it doesnt go well - what then??? The odds are stacked against people. and we have to tell them, or we'd be lying - You can see that I'm sure. At least then if they choose to give it a go, they are informed and know what they're facing! I hate being negative, but they ask the question and deserve honest answers. Mind you some on this forum can over kill the answer sometimes lol!!!

Jo xxx
Old Jan 25th 2012, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

tonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Cazzy1
We moved to Spain thinking we would not need to work, but seem to work harder here then we did in the UK. We are quite lucky and work has found us. My husband has a good pension, but the extra helps pay for holidays and things. We have no regrets about moving to Spain, but would really like to sell up and return to the UK as grandchild number 3 is on the way, but the language school who we work for really don't want us to go as they use us for Residential stays for Spanish wanting the British experience, they want me to promise to sell to a Brit who will continue to work for them!!! A bit of a tall order LOL. There is work out there, but if you need an income it is hard, if not give it a try, you can always go back. At least you can say you tried it!!
i'm thinking of moving to Alicante area, is this where you work because I could take your place if so
Old Jan 25th 2012, 9:19 pm
HOODIE

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Your luck was the exception, not the rule as things stand and I'm really pleased for you. However, I personally cant bring myself to advise people to give up homes, jobs, families in the UK on a dream, cos if it doesnt go well - what then??? The odds are stacked against people. and we have to tell them, or we'd be lying - You can see that I'm sure. At least then if they choose to give it a go, they are informed and know what they're facing! I hate being negative, but they ask the question and deserve honest answers. Mind you some on this forum can over kill the answer sometimes lol!!!

Jo xxx
Totally understand.. They do have a money count coming in though from uk so hopefully it can work really well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.