Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Its time for me to move on !

Its time for me to move on !

Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:14 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its time for me to move on !

For anyone seeking to go and work in Spain there are two main options. One is teaching English in one of the big cities like Barcelona, and especially Madrid.
Another option for those who are IT geeks is to get work in the exploding IT sector. Wiseri.com and Infojobs.net are a good start. Here's a website that has just been started - where an internet has the "empleo" sign you'll find their jobs page http://www.internetmadeinspain.org/ It varies from company to company, but Tuenti in particular appear to be setting on people
Open Positions - Engineering

Backend Engineer
Frontend Engineer
Frontend Engineer (Barcelona)
IT Intern
JavaScript Engineer
Lead Engineer, Frontend
Lead Engineer, Messaging
QA Engineer (Barcelona)
QA Engineer (Madrid)
QA Engineer Intern
Release Engineer
Software Engineer Intern
Test Framework Engineer

Open Positions - Design and User Experience

Mobile UX Designer
UX Designer
User Interface Developer
Visual Designer
There are other companies worth checking out such as Deporvillage and Chicisimo.es in Valencia.
Another IT jobs board for startup companies is here http://dir.betabeers.com/post/

Lastly, always worth checking on Twitter - search on "Madrid empleo" or "Barcelona jobs" for various new opportunities.
Good luck
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by agoreira
I guess some will get by teaching English etc, others will be doing the jobs the Spanish don't want. I'm sure the people cleaning properties wouldn't have entertained doing that in UK, but needs must. Friends of ours, both ex well paid professional people, earning big money in UK, are now looking after and cleaning some holiday lets, I can only assume it's for something to do rather than for the money.

I had a very busy well paid job with social services in the UK. It is great not having the pressure, although the spanish kids can be stressful!! I am quite happy with my menial jobs in Spain.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cazzy1
I had a very busy well paid job with social services in the UK. It is great not having the pressure, although the spanish kids can be stressful!! I am quite happy with my menial jobs in Spain.
Not knocking it, but I'm sure that cleaning houses for others for very low wages, for example, never featured in plans of many people moving to Spain. If I had told our friend that she would end up cleaning toilets, cleaning houses, I think she would have fallen about laughing. Couldn't see Jackie2 doing that!
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

tonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
For anyone seeking to go and work in Spain there are two main options. One is teaching English in one of the big cities like Barcelona, and especially Madrid.
Another option for those who are IT geeks is to get work in the exploding IT sector. Wiseri.com and Infojobs.net are a good start. Here's a website that has just been started - where an internet has the "empleo" sign you'll find their jobs page http://www.internetmadeinspain.org/ It varies from company to company, but Tuenti in particular appear to be setting on people

There are other companies worth checking out such as Deporvillage and Chicisimo.es in Valencia.
Another IT jobs board for startup companies is here http://dir.betabeers.com/post/

Lastly, always worth checking on Twitter - search on "Madrid empleo" or "Barcelona jobs" for various new opportunities.
Good luck
Thanx Stevie, I'll take your advice, and have a look around at these sites, I did think of teaching English, as plan B but IT looks a good bet, thanx for advice mate
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

tonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant future

Is there any value in looking to buy more than one property in Spain and renting out as a source of income?
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:39 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Same here. I used to run an out of hours doctors service in the UK. In Spain I have to say I was bored out of my brain without any work. The novelty of being in Spain soon wore off for me and I hated not earning anything and struggling, altho my husband commuted to the UK and earnt enough (not the same as having my own income}, but after three years I got a job working in a cafe, which was hard but preferable to my previous job - nice not to have the responsibility. Life isnt about money, well it is to start with, but eventually you realise theres more. However, life without any money is a worry, especially if you have kids. Wherever you are, they will always "want, want, want" and living in Spain doesnt make up for that or stop it

Jo xxx
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:41 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonysallis1
Is there any value in looking to buy more than one property in Spain and renting out as a source of income?
In a word NO.

You would be better of doing that in the UK.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

Depends where it is and the price you charge, the properties we look after are all inland. The people who rent want the real spain and are mainly French. I guess they have about 80% ocupancy in a year.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 9:08 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Since tourist numbers were 57 million in 2011, and expected to grow in 2012, I would have thought there is scope to rent out in the right areas. However, this wouldn't be full occupancy over the year?

http://en.europeonline-magazine.eu/s...is_180444.html

The Spanish talkboards like this one advise anyone moving to Spain, to rent for a while before choosing to buy. Maybe it would be smart to target the new British arrivals?

Alternatively, as suggested above, target a niche. Very dangerous again, if you are relying just on high season. For example this report shows Russian tourism to Spain is growing now, but would high season just be a couple of months rent, and the rest of the year vacant?

http://singularspain.com/tourism-2/r...l-and-majorca/
http://www.diariosur.es/v/20111221/t...-20111221.html

The Costa del Sol has been how the volume of Russian tourists increased by 72% during the year 2011. This area of the Spanish South arouses great interest among Russians every year and it is the second favourite destination in the fastest growing number of Russian tourists behind Majorca. The Costa Brava is still the region preferred by Russians, although the areas mentioned above are still cutting distances. In addition, the Junta de Andalucía is searching with an ad campaign to promote the virtues and the attractions of this autonomous region for tourism among Russian and Polish people.

As demand has grown, so the air connections with Russia have grown so, and up to 25 Russian cities have had flights making stopover in Spain. Forecasts point to a growning of the Russian tourism in the coming years. Much of the Russian tourists are people with a high purchasing power and leave great amounts of money in cities where they spend their holidays. Some of them even look for luxury products that they can find in places like Puerto Banus.
Edit: Looks like the Arabs are coming to Spain too, for reasons I can't figure out...

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/emira...in-442541.html

Emirates Airline has said it will launch Barcelona as its route to Spain in July, just days after doubling flights to Madrid.

The airline said it is embarking on a major boost to its services in Spain on the heels of mounting demand for its Madrid service, launched in August 2010.

The daily Barcelona flights will start on July 3, while the Madrid services will be doubled from July 1.

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Jan 27th 2012 at 9:21 am.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 9:27 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Not knocking it, but I'm sure that cleaning houses for others for very low wages, for example, never featured in plans of many people moving to Spain. If I had told our friend that she would end up cleaning toilets, cleaning houses, I think she would have fallen about laughing. Couldn't see Jackie2 doing that!
What does it say for Spain if it's soo boring that you feel the need to clean up other peoples pubic hair and dead skin scum around the bath
Old Jan 27th 2012, 9:39 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Stevie are you by any chance paid to do PR for spanish tourism This stuff comes out all the time and has for a decade. Arabs have always come to the CDS in July/Aug. Banus is full of bhurkas then. Many already own houses or if not they rent luxury villas. Won't make a dent on the thousands of apartments that are unrented on the coast. Stats showed that many were still not able to rent out their property in August.

Russian tourism has increased but not much, think of a flea on an elephants ear. I read some of the spanish comments after the recent Sur article and one pointed out that apart from a few very rich most Russians are very poor. Many Spanish wonder where the tourist dept. gets the figures as businesses and hotels are not seeing it.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 10:02 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
What does it say for Spain if it's soo boring that you feel the need to clean up other peoples pubic hair and dead skin scum around the bath
Ouch.......
Old Jan 27th 2012, 10:57 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Of course no other countries have cleaning work! I've worked in cleaning myself in the UK - doesn't make it a boring country!

Jacky - If you find it so hard to believe that people enjoy life in Spain, or like visiting the place, why keep coming to this talkboard with this type of jibe? You're going to fool no-one with this tat. - 57 million tourists last year! Why bother with your smear/hate tactics - obviously not working!
Old Jan 27th 2012, 11:18 am
Banned

Didn't I just say that the Arabs have always visited I didn't say they weren't any tourists, just that the predictions of property being viable for a rental income is unlikely to be so for at least a few years. Why can't you get it that the spaniards who live in the area are saying the same as I am, just read the comments on the forums!
Old Jan 27th 2012, 11:22 am
Not Banned (yet)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.