Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is this heating/cooling system for real

Is this heating/cooling system for real

Old Sep 6th 2009, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Exclamation Re: Is this heating/cooling system for real

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
Low energy bulb gives off light and a little heat, 60 watt bulb gives off similar light and a lot more heat so possibly not the best simile.

Jim
I did not write that quote, it was from the Calfri Rep - Roger.

DSB.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Question Re: Is this heating/cooling system for real

Originally Posted by Fred James
As for my comment about Nigerian scams, I was not in any way comparing this offer to a scam. Read what I said. My exact words were:-

"But then, there are some people who respond to Nigerian scams!"

I was merely pointing out that some people are gullible enough to believe such claims without proof - but then some people believe what estate agents tell them.
Your train of thought came across loud and clear, we don't need to read your exact words again.
Your subconscious said it all..
--
Thanks to Campo for chiming in also ! This system does need some exploring and yes, also some evidence in the truth.

As far as past and historical "HEATING SYSTEMS" go, who would have believed that a diesel could do 64.2 MPG - 10,20,30 or 40 years ago..
(The VW Lupo D)

We cannot always base experiences on common knowledge, we learn something new every day.

I suggest any heating / cooling experts to email Roger directly and post his answers on this board like I have done. I'm thinking he hasn't chimed in on this board as he probably doesn't need to defend.

Other branded companies don't do they ? They rely on good word of mouth, and the only word so far being posted here is hearsay and the last 40 years of thermo/cooling systems.
Come on people - Shoot it down with facts

DSB.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:15 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this heating/cooling system for real

Originally Posted by bealerDSB
As a moderator Fred I don't think it is very fair to put a companies name in a post along with the above statement. I haven't heard of any scams from another Country going through a patten request.

I am a person like you who happen to see the posts heading and jump straight in, yet I have been the only one to contact the company and "look into this". Obviously this subject is of some importance and all of our houses either need cooling and or heating..

I'm in a position sometime soon to have either central heating or *blank* installed, so I contacted the company for some answers. Has anyone else got off the fence ?

Good point on finding out testimonials though - I will pursue this.
As could other people..

Here's his email - [email protected]

Cheers;
DSB.
HI DSB

Two things, sorry to butt in.
Do you have the emailers permission to publish that email on a public forum, and do you have his permission to publish the email address please
Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Thumbs up Re: Is this heating/cooling system for real

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
HI DSB

Two things, sorry to butt in.
Do you have the emailers permission to publish that email on a public forum, and do you have his permission to publish the email address please
Hey Mitzy - I've had a few emails from him and I've given him the link for this forum post. He has not mentioned to me any issues on what he has seen so far..
Plus his email is on the "contact us" section from the Site.

To be on the safe side I shall edit immediately.

Thanks;
DSB.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

That's about the same as a decent fridge.

Now here's an alternative idea - buy a fridge, put it in the living room and leave the door open
Makes more sense/believable than anything else that I've read so far on this subject... as long as its Triple AAA rated,
Old Sep 6th 2009, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
Makes more sense/believable than anything else that I've read so far on this subject... as long as its Triple AAA rated,
HAHA HAHA HAHA - Joke right ?

Did you check the links on the site for running the system on solar power ?
An option they do it appears.

Anything to add, technically that is ??
DSB.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

HAHA HAHA HAHA - Joke right ?

Did you check the links on the site for running the system on solar power ?
An option they do it appears.

DSB.
Technically you can run anything electrical on Solar Energy, it just depends how much power you want and how big your wallet is.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Post Re: Is this heating/cooling system for real

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
Technically you can run anything electrical on Solar Energy, it just depends how much power you want and how big your wallet is.
Solar - Would you mind looking at the Site and giving a possibility to the effect ?

I know pretty much nothing about solar energy, more to the point how much X amount investment on panel systems give you a turn around after X amount of years ?

Thanks;
DSB.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

carter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to all

DSB.
According to the documentation, the system runs from a 2.5kW electric heater at 100% efficiency. Just like my immersion heater, then

Anyway, it means we do know that the heat output of the system is 2.5kW maximum.

Take a typical 100m2 2 bed single story Spanish villa of recent construction, assume it's a 10m x 10m square, with 3m high walls.

100mm concrete has a thermal coefficient of 4 W/m2K. Assuming the house is built directly onto the earth, we can also assume a thermal coefficient of 0.7W/m2K for the floor. Negating the effects of windows, drafts, and steel doors, we can therefore calculate the minimum heat loss as a function delta-T:

The ceiling will transfer 4 x 10m x 10m = 400W/K - 400 watts of heat per Kelvin
The floor will transfer 0.7 x 10m x 10m = 70W/K - 70 watts of heat per Kelvin
The walls will transfer 4 x 40m x 3m = 480W/K - 480 watts of heat per Kelvin

Total losses = 950W/K

If it's a mild 12 degrees outside in the Spring / Autumn (at night, no sun) - then you'll need 9.5kW of heat to maintain the house at a steady 22 degrees.

If it's a cooler 5 degrees outside - then you'll need 16.15kW of heat to maintain the house at a steady 22 degrees.

If you get a severe chill or you live further inland / up a mountain and it drops to -2 overnight, then you'll need 22.8kW.

The only conclusion I can reach is that the inventors of this amazing system have never actually lived in Spain during a typical Spanish winter. Here on the Costa Blanca, it's been known to get to -6 and below, and definately reaches below zero overnight for many nights over the winter period. Their system hasn't a chance of coping.

To coin a phrase, "brrr, that is cold"!!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 5:35 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carter71
If it's a cooler 5 degrees outside - then you'll need 16.15kW of heat to maintain the house at a steady 22 degrees.
Thank for going to the trouble to work out the maths.

The final figure sounds about right. We have 150m2 of electric underfloor heating and it is rated at 18kw.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

campolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant future

The only conclusion I can reach is that the inventors of this amazing system have never actually lived in Spain during a typical Spanish winter.
According to the calfri.eu site the inventor lives in javea!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 6:08 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Come on people - Shoot it down with facts DSB.
Well here are some facts.

The boilers are manufactured in Poland by Kospel SA. Have a look at http://www.kospel.pl/index_en.php?s=...otly_cent_ogrz and you will see that the range of boilers (designed primarily for CH and UF systems) are rated at a minimum of 4kw.

There are currently 5 agents in Spain and only 2 installations, neither of which are prepared to be used as a reference site.

The testing of these systems was done in Poland and Cyprus.

The cooling system has been installed on "high class cabin cruisers" since 1995.

This is a franchise operation with no significant success so far. I have personally been offered the agency for Estepona to Velez-Malaga (ie the whole of the Costa del Sol) for €4900. If I do not take up the offer it will rise to €19000 in a years time.

Apparently I do not even need to be a qualified plumber but they will provide logo T-shirts.

Graham Smith is the man behind this system and is a self confessed "inventor". He makes no claims to be a heating engineer. He suggests that you Google "Graham Smith inventor".

He has been successful patenting, amongst other things, toothbrushes with included paste and recycled plastic solar powered advertising signage benches.

This information comes either directly from Graham Smith or from the Kospel website.

I hope this gives you enough information to make a decision as to whether this is a good investment.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 6:25 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Well here are some facts.

The boilers are manufactured in Poland by Kospel SA. Have a look at http://www.kospel.pl/index_en.php?s=...otly_cent_ogrz and you will see that the range of boilers (designed primarily for CH and UF systems) are rated at a minimum of 4kw.

There are currently 5 agents in Spain and only 2 installations, neither of which are prepared to be used as a reference site.

The testing of these systems was done in Poland and Cyprus.

The cooling system has been installed on "high class cabin cruisers" since 1995.

This is a franchise operation with no significant success so far. I have personally been offered the agency for Estepona to Velez-Malaga (ie the whole of the Costa del Sol) for €4900. If I do not take up the offer it will rise to €19000 in a years time.

Apparently I do not even need to be a qualified plumber but they will provide logo T-shirts.

Graham Smith is the man behind this system and is a self confessed "inventor". He makes no claims to be a heating engineer. He suggests that you Google "Graham Smith inventor".

He has been successful patenting, amongst other things, toothbrushes with included paste and recycled plastic solar powered advertising signage benches.

This information comes either directly from Graham Smith or from the Kospel website.

I hope this gives you enough information to make a decision as to whether this is a good investment.
Very impressive I'm sure,especially those toothbrushes with paste!

Not quite sure I'd install his heating system in my "high class cabin cruiser",.......if I ever get one..........

However would love to see the logo on his T-shirts, or maybe I could think of an appropriate alternative one.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Talking Re: Is this heating/cooling system for real

According to the documentation, the system runs from a 2.5kW electric heater at 100% efficiency. Just like my immersion heater, then

Anyway, it means we do know that the heat output of the system is 2.5kW maximum.

Take a typical 100m2 2 bed single story Spanish villa of recent construction, assume it's a 10m x 10m square, with 3m high walls.

100mm concrete has a thermal coefficient of 4 W/m2K. Assuming the house is built directly onto the earth, we can also assume a thermal coefficient of 0.7W/m2K for the floor. Negating the effects of windows, drafts, and steel doors, we can therefore calculate the minimum heat loss as a function delta-T:

The ceiling will transfer 4 x 10m x 10m = 400W/K - 400 watts of heat per Kelvin
The floor will transfer 0.7 x 10m x 10m = 70W/K - 70 watts of heat per Kelvin
The walls will transfer 4 x 40m x 3m = 480W/K - 480 watts of heat per Kelvin

Total losses = 950W/K

If it's a mild 12 degrees outside in the Spring / Autumn (at night, no sun) - then you'll need 9.5kW of heat to maintain the house at a steady 22 degrees.

If you get a severe chill or you live further inland / up a mountain and it drops to -2 overnight, then you'll need 22.8kW.

The only conclusion I can reach is that the inventors of this amazing system have never actually lived in Spain during a typical Spanish winter. Here on the Costa Blanca, it's been known to get to -6 and below, and definately reaches below zero overnight for many nights over the winter period. Their system hasn't a chance of coping.

To coin a phrase, "brrr, that is cold"!!
Awsome FACTS - Thanks Carter

In summary - A/C units where I need them and central heating me thinks..
Gas or Oil I'm still unsure on. I'd much rater the oil as it'll probably be one fill a year as oppose to gas bottles.

What experiences do others have ?
Oil ? Gas ? Cost through the winter months ?

Thanks All,
DSB.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:23 am
Just Joined

danny26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys, has anybody info on CALFRI factory address & office phone numbers? All they have on website is mobile phone number.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.