Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Has the UK gone totally insane?

Has the UK gone totally insane?

Old Jun 28th 2011, 7:32 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has the UK gone totally insane?

Originally Posted by bil
As for freebies, I've said before. When immigrants are treated better than indigents, there will be trouble. No-one should be allowed into a country if they can't support themselves legally.
Treated better than the indigenous people? Or the indigent people? The latter is not hard to do.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

mondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nice
Talking Re: Has the UK gone totally insane?

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I don't care if your sexual preferences are male or female but if you are going to quote yourself lets add the first bit

Fiddling with kids is just a question of timing - such are the stupid laws on the age of consent............

says it all really. I am just suprised the moderators let it stay on
No, actually the first bit was from Rugrat:
'I suppose you'd fiddle with children just to fit in'
Both posts were removed by the moderators quite rightly.

Old Jun 28th 2011, 8:32 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mondeo
No, actually the first bit was from Rugrat:
'I suppose you'd fiddle with children just to fit in'
Both posts were removed by the moderators quite rightly.

They were not removed, just moved.

As regards to the name.... welcome back really is in order eh?
Old Jun 28th 2011, 10:21 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Treated better than the indigenous people? Or the indigent people? The latter is not hard to do.
That's when the idigenous turn indignant.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 12:14 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I think that the point is being cofused with all the talk about blood groups and the genetic makeup of the British population.

Years ago, nobody bothered that the people who owned the corner shop were indian, that most ofthe waiter and hotel staff were Spanish portugese Italian etc, that a lot of factory and railway workers were black Jamaican.

The reason being that most were there to WORK as scrounging was not a way of lfe.

The UK offered us a chance to WORK, even if money was sent home to support the family members left behind, it was money that was EARNED, not a handout from the British taxpayer.

Then the autorities did not bend over backwards to provide translators for the incomers when visiting doctors etc.

People either got on with it or asked the help of their countrymen to translate, nobody complained, and rightly so.

The British in Spain help each other with language etc, so groups help forfree others pay for translators for officialdom and hospitals etc.

Why should the NHS have to foot the bill for translators when there are so many immigrants in the UK there already who could help with language issues for their own recently arrived countrymen, we did it why cant they?

I would be really hacked off if the spanish population were being shoved to the back burner for medical treatment due to lack of money, because money was being wasted on translators like in the UK.

It is things like that that cause the illfeeling, not skin colour.

Exactly - that is what is causing the ill-feeling, that members of the indigenous minority are being pushed to the back of the queue. Those who do act as translators for their own countrymen charge the NHS (and other organisations) large hourly sums for the "privelege" which is why banks now stipulate that if a translator is needed this is to be provided and paid for by the individual.

We have had in-comers from places like Spain, France, locally a very large Italian community due to a large influx in the 1950's, in fact they have been known to be at the forefront of complaints because they did integrate.

The difficulty is that WE are being told to integrate no the other way round. I can just imagine the unrest in the streets if the Spanish were told to integrate. This is surely the job of the in-comer.!
Old Jun 29th 2011, 8:56 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
That Brits are taking Spaniards jobs is an oblique argument, but in basic terms they certainly are.

In my area it appears that while British builders, carpenters, electrician etc are still working, their Spanish equivalents are on the dole.

While the expats in inland areas may well be welcome, especially as items of curiosity, the picture is changing in heavily populated expat areas. There is understandable resentment among the unemployed when yet another white van with 'British builders' on the side rolls past them. The increasing graffiti tells the tale, and when you see it, it's better if you cannot read Spanish. If you don't know what a Guiri is, so much the better.
The above points are true in a lot of cases and for those involved would cause bad feeling, but bad feeling gorws as what is seen as a "kick in the teethn for the general population" grows.

A lot of Spanish might feel hard done-by because of the situation you are pointing out,but the bad feeling amongst the locals would be more obvious if the incomers were not only taking the jobs from the locals, but were also having rent paid, income support, (which in some cases is more than the average wage) no rates to pay, free school meals, free medical care, dentists and working on the side to boot.

This is happening in the UK, a lot, Brits themselves are doing it too, and the resentment with the cuts is growing.

There is something seriously wrong when people from abroad are being shown how to fleece the british taxpayer, and are heading to the UK simply because they can.

The UK cannot sustain this level of freebies without being detrimental to the general population, it is total madness, and the place is a paradise for freeloaders, both homegrown and imported.

I think that if the Spanish goverment gave that much away to the incomers, newly arrived for handouts, not wanting to work, as happens in the UK, a few of the ministers would now be flotaing in the MED.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:23 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
The above points are true in a lot of cases and for those involved would cause bad feeling, but bad feeling gorws as what is seen as a "kick in the teethn for the general population" grows.

A lot of Spanish might feel hard done-by because of the situation you are pointing out,but the bad feeling amongst the locals would be more obvious if the incomers were not only taking the jobs from the locals, but were also having rent paid, income support, (which in some cases is more than the average wage) no rates to pay, free school meals, free medical care, dentists and working on the side to boot.

This is happening in the UK, a lot, Brits themselves are doing it too, and the resentment with the cuts is growing.

There is something seriously wrong when people from abroad are being shown how to fleece the british taxpayer, and are heading to the UK simply because they can.

The UK cannot sustain this level of freebies without being detrimental to the general population, it is total madness, and the place is a paradise for freeloaders, both homegrown and imported.

I think that if the Spanish goverment gave that much away to the incomers, newly arrived for handouts, not wanting to work, as happens in the UK, a few of the ministers would now be flotaing in the MED.
From my limited knowledge of this vast country, I would say that in European terms it's under populated and would benefit from a large influx of people. Getting the right sort of people would be the problem. UK and German pensioners are already well catered for with medical and other provisions, and undoubtedly contribute to the wealth of Spain, but when it comes to younger people from abroad there is not as much incentive for immigrants, not with high unemployment and lack of benefits.

And most of all, the self-employment rules which stifle investment in the country. How can you pay 280 Euros a month insurance contributions when you start off, even if you don't earn a Centimo? So everybody works black and the country loses billions. And working black has become a culture which filters all the way down, it's everywhere.

I sometimes wonder whether the unemployment levels are really that high. If the black workers were not counted as unemployed, I'm sure the levels would be on a par with the UK, or elsewhere, although I'm not sure about that, where I live I know of a lot of unemployed people, mostly younger ones.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:37 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

On the other hand people who have run out of unemployment benefit aren't counted in unemployment figures. Many spanish reckon unemployment is nearer 5 million.

Did anyone see where protests are planned in Torre del mar today. A woman and her 3 children are being evicted from their home today as she has mortgage arrears. She has been unable to find a job for 2 years. I wouldn't like to see that in the UK where there is no safety net for genuine people.

The UK is over generous and Spain not generous enough.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:59 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

On the other hand people who have run out of unemployment benefit aren't counted in unemployment figures. Many spanish reckon unemployment is nearer 5 million.

Did anyone see where protests are planned in Torre del mar today. A woman and her 3 children are being evicted from their home today as she has mortgage arrears. She has been unable to find a job for 2 years. I wouldn't like to see that in the UK where there is no safety net for genuine people.

would totally agree, but then this is their country. And in the longer term which one is more bankrupt.?

Is there anyone out there from other parts of the world - such as Thailand, Singapore, South America - who can throw in some information on their local benefit systems ??
Old Jun 29th 2011, 10:14 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Spain is underpopulated. One of the things I hated about the UK was the crowded roads and the feeling of being too close to too many people.

When we came to Spain we felt that we had to provide for ourselves, that we should make an effort to integrate, and we needed to be careful to stay the right side of the law, if only to sleep well at night.

If immigrants to the UK took the same attitude, would there be the problems that there are? I think not.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by bil
I don't think Spain is underpopulated. One of the things I hated about the UK was the crowded roads and the feeling of being too close to too many people.

When we came to Spain we felt that we had to provide for ourselves, that we should make an effort to integrate, and we needed to be careful to stay the right side of the law, if only to sleep well at night.

If immigrants to the UK took the same attitude, would there be the problems that there are? I think not.
must agree Bil
every country I have visited I have ensured I can just say even the most basic such as Yes, Please, No, Thank You, 2 Beers, as a starting point to getting around and learning more in exchange for helping the other side with their English.
In the UK those of certain origins just stand their and look at you, occaisionally give a shrug - never a smile, usually a scowl. Poles and similar are very extroverted and bubbling over even with their limited English.

We are located near a new police HQ and it always seems to be me drivers ask for directions. When I give them they usually say Thank You in English.
Little bar in one of the white villages the owner repeated the bill in English to save me embarrassment. .......must brush up on my numbers but they do speak so fast and in a slangy dialect way ..

Even a little bit helps no end.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 11:14 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Let's not go back over old ground about the age of consent etc.again.

We have already had to split the thread and close the new one.

There are also a lot of personal remarks flying around.

Keep this thread on track or it will be closed.

Last edited by Fred James; Jun 29th 2011 at 11:20 am.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 11:58 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

How very true, I am not too sure how the figures are counted, but probably as you say, if you are not getting dole, you are not classed as unemployed.

I personally have knowledge of a married couple with 3 kiddies who are both "interinos", and have been doing their jobs for years

Both of their jobs are now open to "oppositions", so that means there will be a large number of people competing for them.

If they are both first past the post, all well and good, if not they could both be thrown on the dole, they are devastated, because is it not easy to study with 3 youngsters and working full time, but such is life.

Originally Posted by bil

good point, but it will never happen.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Fred James
Let's not go back over old ground about the age of consent etc.again.

We have already had to split the thread and close the new one.

There are also a lot of personal remarks flying around.

Keep this thread on track or it will be closed.
have I done something wrong
Old Jun 29th 2011, 12:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Domino
have I done something wrong
Dunno, have you?

Is there something that you wish to get off your chest? have you been sleeping with your wifes sister , for example?.

You can confess and ease your conscience, we are a very sympathetic and forgiving lot, my son.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.