Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Has the UK gone totally insane?

Has the UK gone totally insane?

Old Jun 28th 2011, 8:54 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has the UK gone totally insane?

Originally Posted by Grayling
So why are there more immigrants (of all colours, shapes and sizes) in Spain than there are in the UK?

......and why aren't the english refugees on this thread complaining about them?
I actually think both countries have been a bit lax in allowing in so many. It hasn't stopped either country being hit hard by the credit crunch and recession - maybe it was a contributory cause. Anyway, we'll see now if the argument that migrant workers stimulate an economy is true - let's hope it's true, as otherwise things could start to look bleak if victims start looking around for scapegoats...

As for the English/British migrants not noticing the high numbers of migrants in Spain. Part of the reason is that most Brits don't tend to settle in the large cities - they tend to colonise coastal developments. Thus they wouldn't ever come across (for example) the 200,000 Rumanians in Madrid alone. Also, Brits probably haven't realised that the bar-man serving them, or the building worker on the site down the road, is Ecuadorian or Rumanian or Moroccan. It seems that a lot of Brits assume that the person with a tan who can speak fluent Spanish, is obviously a native Spaniard. To be fair, you can go into a London pub and assume that the guy serving drinks is a Brit - until you hear their accent you'd never know they were Polish or Slovakian.

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Jun 28th 2011 at 8:56 am. Reason: typos!
Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:00 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonwel
Just to get back to the original question, about providing deposits to help people buy houses. Insane, yes, but not because the beneficiaries might have the wrong skin-colour.
Insane because the price of a house is determined by the free market, i.e. supply and demand, and if you make it easier for people to buy, that means pushing up the demand, which will push up the price, cancelling at least a part of the benefit of the deposit for those who get it and making it even more difficult for those who don't get any help. The only people to benefit are the estate agents.
If the council has money to spare, why don't they build some council houses to provide rented accommodation at a reasonable price? And not ones to be sold off after a few years, they should remain public. This would also reduce demand for houses on the free market, reducing prices.

Isn't that a better argument than all the racist claptrap I've just had to wade through?
Karma given. Both you and JLFS (whom I'm not allowed to give further karma) understand the consequences I'm worried about.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:08 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bricwood
It's the internet dude, you can prove the world is flat using quotes.

Your article says

"The notion that large-scale migrations caused drastic change in early Britain has been widely discredited, according to Simon James, an archaeologist at Leicester University, England.

"The gene pool of the island has changed, but more slowly and far less completely than implied by the old invasion model," James writes in an article for the website BBC History.

For the English, their defining period was the arrival of Germanic tribes known collectively as the Anglo-Saxons. Some researchers suggest this invasion consisted of as few as 10,000 to 25,000 people—not enough to displace existing inhabitants. "

Hmmmm. If that is true, why is it that a map of the UK by blood groups showed that O, the Anglo saxon blood group totally dominated the UK with the Celtic Bs shoved out to the tips of Wales, Cornwell and Scotland?

The viking inputs were little pools of A at Hastings and eastern port/landing areas.

According to that, the Norman input was as nothing compared to the way the AS blood group swept across the UK.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:51 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the point is being cofused with all the talk about blood groups and the genetic makeup of the British population.

Years ago, nobody bothered that the people who owned the corner shop were indian, that most ofthe waiter and hotel staff were Spanish portugese Italian etc, that a lot of factory and railway workers were black Jamaican.

The reason being that most were there to WORK as scrounging was not a way of lfe.

The UK offered us a chance to WORK, even if money was sent home to support the family members left behind, it was money that was EARNED, not a handout from the British taxpayer.

Then the autorities did not bend over backwards to provide translators for the incomers when visiting doctors etc.

People either got on with it or asked the help of their countrymen to translate, nobody complained, and rightly so.

The British in Spain help each other with language etc, so groups help forfree others pay for translators for officialdom and hospitals etc.

Why should the NHS have to foot the bill for translators when there are so many immigrants in the UK there already who could help with language issues for their own recently arrived countrymen, we did it why cant they?

I would be really hacked off if the spanish population were being shoved to the back burner for medical treatment due to lack of money, because money was being wasted on translators like in the UK.

It is things like that that cause the illfeeling, not skin colour.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 10:24 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Matt, a few do get your irony

Immigration is an emotive subject in all developed countries. Every country complains about immigrants, it's human nature. Some of you on here would be suprised what the spanish say on their forums about the British. There has also been a few xenophobic articles in the newspapers re. foreigners overloading the health service in coastal areas. You may find it hard to believe but many spaniards accuse the British of taking their jobs.

I feel the old British superiority coming out of these posts "The spanish love us Brits, they welcome us with open arms" stuff............only when they are earning money from residential tourism!
Old Jun 28th 2011, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS

Just because shampoo, rendevouz and a host of other words are not English oregins that does not mean that freebies should given out, freebies that are not available in other countries to new arrivals.
Freebies are given out to all and sundry that arrive in the UK, that's true, but as the UK's contribution to the EU went up by a staggering 74% last year, I suspect we are looking after a few on the continent as well!
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:12 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Matt, a few do get your irony

Immigration is an emotive subject in all developed countries. Every country complains about immigrants, it's human nature. Some of you on here would be suprised what the spanish say on their forums about the British. There has also been a few xenophobic articles in the newspapers re. foreigners overloading the health service in coastal areas. You may find it hard to believe but many spaniards accuse the British of taking their jobs.

I feel the old British superiority coming out of these posts "The spanish love us Brits, they welcome us with open arms" stuff............only when they are earning money from residential tourism!
That Brits are taking Spaniards jobs is an oblique argument, but in basic terms they certainly are.

In my area it appears that while British builders, carpenters, electrician etc are still working, their Spanish equivalents are on the dole.

While the expats in inland areas may well be welcome, especially as items of curiosity, the picture is changing in heavily populated expat areas. There is understandable resentment among the unemployed when yet another white van with 'British builders' on the side rolls past them.

The increasing graffiti tells the tale, and when you see it, it's better if you cannot read Spanish. If you don't know what a Guiri is, so much the better.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Freebies are given out to all and sundry that arrive in the UK, that's true, but as the UK's contribution to the EU went up by a staggering 74% last year, I suspect we are looking after a few on the continent as well!
Oh yes, thank you kindly, the roads and gardens around here are looking much better.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

The increasing graffiti tells the tale, and when you see it, it's better if you cannot read Spanish. If you don't know what a Guiri is, so much the better.
The respected Spanish writer Arturo Pérez-Reverte described some of the Brits thus, a fin de que toda la escoria tatuada del Reino Unido y de Alemania pueda venir a pasearse sin camisa y en chanclas vomitando su puta cerveza por calles y plazas, Yes, of course they luv us! Tattoed scum? I expect he's joking?
Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:21 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by agoreira
The respected Spanish writer Arturo Pérez-Reverte described some of the Brits thus, a fin de que toda la escoria tatuada del Reino Unido y de Alemania pueda venir a pasearse sin camisa y en chanclas vomitando su puta cerveza por calles y plazas, Yes, of course they luv us! Tattoed scum? I expect he's joking?
How dare he criticise the cream of our society?

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Jun 28th 2011 at 1:23 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 5:16 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from work and I tells ya, its like some Zombie movie out there... except the Zombies are dirty foreigners and they are EVERYWHERE! All over the streets, all over the builders merchants, hell, they are everywhere! I couldn't understand a single one of them, all speaking in tongues and walking around gormless and unedumacated!

Mind you, it was North Norfolk so I could well be mistaken!
Old Jun 28th 2011, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

mondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nicemondeo is just really nice
Talking Re: Has the UK gone totally insane?

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
So you made a joke about it being all about timing when a child is legal to have sex with, then bemoaned about the "stupid age of consent" laws in the UK and you think its me who made the inappropriate comment? Yep, you are going to fit in well in Little England.
You seem to forget, my friend, that it was your initial remark from so far left field and so off topic suggesting that I might have underage sex simply ‘to fit in’ following my post that I was racist to fit in with the immigrant racists, that I replied to, saying underage sex was a question of timing. According to the law if I were to have sex with a boy a few days or even hours before his sixteenth birthday I would be a pedophile whereas if I wait 'til a few days after his birthday I’m just Gay and trendy, such is the protection of the law. (In fact I much prefer women, so that just makes me ‘a good ol’ boy’)
Short term memory loss, such as you exhibit, is one of the first signs of Alzheimer’s. So I recommend that you take extremely good care of your one remaining brain cell or you may be away with the fairies for a very long time...........!!!

Old Jun 28th 2011, 6:32 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mondeo
You seem to forget, my friend, that it was your initial remark from so far left field and so off topic suggesting that I might have underage sex simply ‘to fit in’ following my post that I was racist to fit in with the immigrant racists, that I replied to, saying underage sex was a question of timing. According to the law if I were to have sex with a boy a few days or even hours before his sixteenth birthday I would be a pedophile whereas if I wait 'til a few days after his birthday I’m just Gay and trendy, such is the protection of the law. (In fact I much prefer women, so that just makes me ‘a good ol’ boy’)
Short term memory loss, such as you exhibit, is one of the first signs of Alzheimer’s. So I recommend that you take extremely good care of your one remaining brain cell or you may be away with the fairies for a very long time...........!!!

Ah, so I asked a question that related to something in the thread and you replied with a comment that frankly shows a character flaw that would shock a Catholic priest.
Say what you want, your comment was inappropriate and I wasn't the only person who thought so. I have to say though, you are bold as brass for a new member who has only made 30 posts... so I guess welcome back is in order?
Old Jun 28th 2011, 6:38 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care if your sexual preferences are male or female but if you are going to quote yourself lets add the first bit

Fiddling with kids is just a question of timing - such are the stupid laws on the age of consent............

says it all really. I am just suprised the moderators let it stay on
Old Jun 28th 2011, 7:08 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I don't care if your sexual preferences are male or female but if you are going to quote yourself lets add the first bit

Fiddling with kids is just a question of timing - such are the stupid laws on the age of consent............

says it all really. I am just suprised the moderators let it stay on
I think they did exactly what needed to be done, can't question their actions at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.