Gibraltar

Old Apr 28th 2014, 7:35 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar

Like any other British expat living in Spain, I've been in and out of Gibraltar like a Yo Yo over the years. I've even seriously considered moving there permanently in the past but not now, the bitterness on both sides seems irreversible.

It must be strange to wake up in the morning and wonder whether the prison gates are going to be open. Wasn't it possible to escape to Tangier in the past? Or across the campo? What about para gliding? Would they shoot you down?

If I fancied a five-hour drive I could go down and have a look. I'm tempted.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 7:44 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by HBG
Like any other British expat living in Spain, I've been in and out of Gibraltar like a Yo Yo over the years. I've even seriously considered moving there permanently in the past but not now, the bitterness on both sides seems irreversible.
Hasn't it always been like that though , give or take a stand down.

Really. Is this not a deflection
Old Apr 28th 2014, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Wasn't it possible to escape to Tangier in the past?
After the frontier was closed the ferry to Algeciras was kept running for some time. After that it was always possible to go to Tangiers and then back to Algeciras a journey of about 60 miles to do 4 miles.
Then there were pleasure boats running up the coast, they were not allowed to land in Cadiz province but Malaga was ok. My first trip was to Jose Banus, then later to Estepona.

There were also flights to Tangier and UK plus an occasional charter to Faro.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:08 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hasn't it always been like that though , give or take a stand down.

Really. Is this not a deflection
The Spanish have used the concrete blocks as an excuse to disrupt the border and escalate their marine activities - they could have used another excuse or none.

In fact they are now saying that it is all to do with smuggling which is complete pants - it is all to do with disruption and being a bully.

If the smuggling reason were true, they could exercise the same level of surveillance as now but without disrupting the cross border traffic to anywhere near the degree they are.

It has been much worse in the past - way before any blocks were dropped in Gibraltar waters - not so long ago the border was closed completely for years.

Meanwhile Spain drops blocks off its coast at will.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:12 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I know. I remember the closed border . I also remember the begrudging queues to get in and out

I meant that this could well be a postulation of the Spanish government.

So . This is why I ask for the terms of context & reference from 2TubesToothpaste user.

All very well to argue but one needs to know what one is actually arguing with or about.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:20 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I know. I remember the closed border . I also remember the begrudging queues to get in and out

I meant that this could well be a postulation of the Spanish government.

So . This is why I ask for the terms of context & reference from 2TubesToothpaste user.

All very well to argue but one needs to know what one is actually arguing with or about.
I can't answer for 2TT but there have been a couple of posters here who quite obviously know little about Gibraltar or the ongoing situation but nevertheless choose to have quite strong views about it.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:51 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

My view is that it is a silly Tweedle dum, Tweedle Dee situation.
Spain has never recognised the position of Gibralar and never will.
The UK will never change the status of Gibraltar.
Rather than both sides accepting this the the Spanish Goverbnment and that of Gibraltar each goes out of their way to offend the other.
Spain looks for excuses to make life difficult and Gibraltar provides them.
This is not going to change.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 1:28 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
My view is that it is a silly Tweedle dum, Tweedle Dee situation.
Spain has never recognised the position of Gibralar and never will.
The UK will never change the status of Gibraltar.
Rather than both sides accepting this the the Spanish Goverbnment and that of Gibraltar each goes out of their way to offend the other.
Spain looks for excuses to make life difficult and Gibraltar provides them.
This is not going to change.
sad state of affairs that Spain has no gripes unless Gibraltar does something they decide they don't like.

Spoiled Kids
Old Apr 29th 2014, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
sad state of affairs that Spain has no gripes unless Gibraltar does something they decide they don't like.

Spoiled Kids
Like Gibraltarians breathing ??
Old Apr 29th 2014, 3:29 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Twiddly dee and twiddly dum.
With the current atitutdes on both sides this arguement will still be going on in another 300 years time.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 3:38 am
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by EMR
Twiddly dee and twiddly dum.
With the current atitutdes on both sides this arguement will still be going on in another 300 years time.
How do you think that the Gibraltarian side should change their attitude?

Last edited by jimenato; Apr 29th 2014 at 4:07 am.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 3:54 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
How do you think that the Gibraltarian side should change their attituude?
more importantly - Why .
Old Apr 29th 2014, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Domino
more importantly - Why .
So the Spanish workers do not have to queue up to go home
Old May 1st 2014, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gibraltar is a far more important financial centre than Madrid

Now there in the headline is a fact I thought I would never write or indeed would be true. Yet according to the Global Financial Centre Index it is a fact.

Now here’s the greatest surprise of all because as Madrid was collapsing from 54 to 71 Gibraltar has passed it on the way up. Our financial centre was 67 th and is now 53 rd.

http://www.panorama.gi/localnews/hea...11802&offset=0
Old May 1st 2014, 9:43 pm
EMR
Banned

That is like saying that Bristol city is a better football team because it is half way up its division that a team in one of the leagues above them who are at the bottom of theirs.
IF this is what make news in Gib it must be a boring place to live.
How many sqillions does the financial sector in Gib turnover compared to that in Madrid ( or does that not matter ??? ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.