Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ever met a genius?

Ever met a genius?

Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever met a genius?

Originally Posted by christine.king57
There is a wonderful statue of Cloughie and Taylor now at Pride Park the fans petitioned for one to be built and they named the stretch of A52 from Derby to Nottingham Brian Clough Way
Is the ram still in the Eagle Centre?

Is the Eagle Centre still there ?

I do know where Lara Croft Way is.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

christine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Nope... like sheep you all pay your Sky subscriptions, buy your season tickets and soak up the merchandising, all the while telling yourselves that you are your own people...

Anyway... where were we?
I think I am guilty of being a sheep (or a Ram) as I do follow DCFC, dont buy a season ticket though, get there on hospitality for free if that makes me a freeloader feel free to cast me down in flames
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

christine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Is the ram still in the Eagle Centre?

Is the Eagle Centre still there ?

I do know where Lara Croft Way is.
Eagle centre is now Westfield Centre I dont know whether they kept the Ram though, will find out and let you know have not seen it on my visits there
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:12 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I like the definition there that said

'Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.'
Wiki also notes in it's second sentence that there is no precise definition of genius and it is still the subject of current debate.
Much like beauty I suppose it's all in the eyes of the beholder.

Not surprised to see Matt getting his knickers in a twist again, regarding football genius.
However I seem to recall Beckham giving Wilkinson a few lessons in how to strike a ball a few years ago.
Also guys like Beckham have the skill to bend and swerve the ball in various directions around obstacles, whilst most rugby players still struggle to kick it in a straight line.

Please no more funny vids Matt.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fionamw
All of which brings back to question (not the thread, but the question)
What to our collective minds constitutes a genius?
A person who has exceptional intellectual ability and originality is a definition I like
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:40 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Wiki also notes in it's second sentence that there is no precise definition of genius and it is still the subject of current debate.
Much like beauty I suppose it's all in the eyes of the beholder.

Not surprised to see Matt getting his knickers in a twist again, regarding football genius.
However I seem to recall Beckham giving Wilkinson a few lessons in how to strike a ball a few years ago.
Also guys like Beckham have the skill to bend and swerve the ball in various directions around obstacles, whilst most rugby players still struggle to kick it in a straight line.

Please no more funny vids Matt.
Do I really need to point out that the balls are shaped completely differently or have you decided that Monday is "Act like a twat" day?

Oh and from what I remember of the Advert campaign Beckham struggled to get a rugby ball over the "H" while Wilkinson the "Genius" managed to kick a round object in the direction he intended.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:56 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Do I really need to point out that the balls are shaped completely differently or have you decided that Monday is "Act like a twat" day?

Oh and from what I remember of the Advert campaign Beckham struggled to get a rugby ball over the "H" while Wilkinson the "Genius" managed to kick a round object in the direction he intended.
Oh dear,
Pardon me for forgetting that you are the guys with the funny shaped balls.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:58 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear,
Pardon me for forgetting that you are the guys with the funny shaped balls.
Its always about competition with you Dick... why is that?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 2:21 pm
On the road again.

Its always about competition with you Dick... why is that?
All just part of the give and take of the game Matt, you guys should know that surely, all just good fun and sportsmanship, or should be anyway,.... though I doubt if Shankley would have seen it that way.

"Footballs not just a matter of life and death, it's much more important than that."
Old Jan 24th 2011, 2:54 pm
Straw Man.

Going back to this because I didn't give it the contempt it deserves... So by that rationale Dick, you defend their right to earn £100,000 plus a week on the grounds that they deserve it because of all they give society?

Sort of tells the rest of us all we need to know about you really eh?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 2:59 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Going back to this because I didn't give it the contempt it deserves... So by that rationale Dick, you defend their right to earn £100,000 plus a week on the grounds that they deserve it because of all they give society?

I'd love to hear a valid justification for that size of wage packet. Beckham is a nice boy, but no intellectual giant.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 4:24 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I used to meet a genius quite regular when I went overdrawn.
Now that man was a genius, the way he got wages and big bonuses for doing faff all.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 4:59 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I used to meet a genius quite regular when I went overdrawn.
Now that man was a genius, the way he got wages and big bonuses for doing faff all.
Bitchy, but oh so true.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Forget footballers, let's look at things as a whole.

You have a property to rent, and you try to get as much as you can in rent. It's called supply and demand.

Would you think that's far more than it's worth and reduce the rent?
I doubt it

Tell me the difference.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:50 pm
On the road again.

There you go again Matt, dropping yourself right in it once more, attributing to me an opinion which I have never ever expressed on this forum or any other.

I quite agree that the wages are excessive and like most ppl. I would prefer to see much more of the income ploughed back into football at grass routes level or into other more worthy causes.
Whilst I love my football I make very little if any contribution to these excessive pay packets for much the same reason.

On the plus side,at least these guys do supply entertainment to many millions of ppl worldwide, which is more than can be said for such as the greedy bank moguls who rip punters of worldwide whilst spreading a huge tide of grief and misery at the same time.

However I'm afraid it's is the way of the World at the present time and I doubt that you or I can change it, so I'm afraid you'll just have to try and live with it for now, instead of repeatedly sending your blood pressure sky high getting yourself so frustrated.

By the way, in the days of the footballing star I previously mentioned, the maximum wage was twenty quid a week, and it was important that anyone going into the game even at the highest level, had training in an alternative trade or something else to fall back on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.