Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ever met a genius?

Ever met a genius?

Old Feb 6th 2011, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever met a genius?

Many years ago we were travelling around Parque Natural Sierras de Cazorla Segura and were staying in Baeza (well worth a visit, lots of history). We went to the neighbouring town of Úbeda in the evening (another place well worth a look) and the temp-time board was showing 8pm and 40º.¡sofocante! Uncomfortably hot. Similar en Sevilla, we went in June knowing July-August would be too hot, but even then, it was almost unbearable, well in the 40º´s. Loved Sevilla, but the next time will be in the spring!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 8:52 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Sevilla can be freezing in winter too!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:00 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Me to. Once the house has turned into a giant concrete radiator with the heat bouncing back out of the walls, even on a nightime, then I'm on my bike heading North.
I reckon even the Madrid folk would welcome a good pour-down to cool things off in mid-summer.
I don't blame you. I wouldn't want to live in one either. Our house is built on the East/West axis, with the windows shaded so no sun gets in. I painted the roof white, put sprinklers on there and made sure the ventilation flows thru well.

We need a bit of help at night from the a/c when things are really hot, but it's never as bad as you describe.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:15 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

We paint the windows on the top of the factory in summer to help deflect light/heat and as mentioned, like many we close in August.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I don't blame you. I wouldn't want to live in one either. Our house is built on the East/West axis, with the windows shaded so no sun gets in. I painted the roof white, put sprinklers on there and made sure the ventilation flows thru well.

We need a bit of help at night from the a/c when things are really hot, but it's never as bad as you describe.
Almost blending the thread and the subthread. Our Architect is a genius...almost. We inherited the east west axis, which is nice because you get early morning and late evening sun and a good airflow through the house. Thee's a blinkin' great lightwell in the middle. I was sure the sun through the single glazed roof would cook us. but no, the lightwell causes air to rise and flow through in summer and in winter the sun warms us through it. We built thick brick internal walls which balance summer and winter temps a bit. I've just finished building a pantry in the coolest corner of the house, with solid concrete slab shelves and a similar airflow system to the lightwell. If the worst comes to the worst we will cover the roof of the little pantry in wet cloths. The african growers keep their green beans, ready for export to Sainsbury's et al, cool this way!
Work with the heat and it works for you.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:42 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Almost blending the thread and the subthread. Our Architect is a genius...almost. We inherited the east west axis, which is nice because you get early morning and late evening sun and a good airflow through the house. Thee's a blinkin' great lightwell in the middle. I was sure the sun through the single glazed roof would cook us. but no, the lightwell causes air to rise and flow through in summer and in winter the sun warms us through it. We built thick brick internal walls which balance summer and winter temps a bit. I've just finished building a pantry in the coolest corner of the house, with solid concrete slab shelves and a similar airflow system to the lightwell. If the worst comes to the worst we will cover the roof of the little pantry in wet cloths. The african growers keep their green beans, ready for export to Sainsbury's et al, cool this way!
Work with the heat and it works for you.
If you run a water line up to the pantry roof, and installl a stopcock and a couple of spray heads, you can wet it down very easily.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
If you run a water line up to the pantry roof, and installl a stopcock and a couple of spray heads, you can wet it down very easily.
My pantry has a little sloping roof (to vent the warm air through the peak) But it's actually inside the house. In the kitchen. But we've left the roof bit plain rasillones so we can damp it down if needed. The shower thing might be a little over the top
Old Feb 7th 2011, 8:26 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by angiescarr
My pantry has a little sloping roof (to vent the warm air through the peak) But it's actually inside the house. In the kitchen. But we've left the roof bit plain rasillones so we can damp it down if needed. The shower thing might be a little over the top
Ah, I thought it was a proper building with an outside roof.