Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ever met a genius?

Ever met a genius?

Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever met a genius?

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Can people please stop using the word "footballer" and "genius" in the same sentence, its not doing the believability of the thread any good.
It all depends on how you define genius.

Beckham and Co. are not what are traditionally thought to be as genius as they are not academics.

However their brains must have something special to enable them to work out how to kick a ball in a particular to make it swerve in flight etc. in an instant.

In the broader sense that could be regarded as genius.

I must say though it is an overused word generally.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:25 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
It all depends on how you define genius.

Beckham and Co. are not what are traditionally thought to be as genius as they are not academics.

However their brains must have something special to enable them to work out how to kick a ball in a particular to make it swerve in flight etc. in an instant.

In the broader sense that could be regarded as genius.

I must say though it is an overused word generally.
Footballers are over paid, over loved, slime bags who still raked in their exorbitant fees while everyone else suffered during the "recession" and despite many of them raking in over £100,000 a week all we really care about is a politician claiming .49p for a sink plug or bankers who get rewarded in high bonuses for making hundreds of millions in taxes through their actions.... yet did anyone say a word about these prima donna pricks and their blood sucking tactics on football clubs? Nope... like sheep you all pay your Sky subscriptions, buy your season tickets and soak up the merchandising, all the while telling yourselves that you are your own people...

Anyway... where were we?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Beckham and Co. are not what are traditionally thought to be as genius as they are not academics.However their brains must have something special to enable them to work out how to kick a ball in a particular to make it swerve in flight etc. in an instant.In the broader sense that could be regarded as genius.

So would you describe a ballerina or athlete or swimmer as a genius?
No you would not.
A footballer has ball skills i.e. is agile or any one of a hundred other words but not a genius.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
No you would not.
A footballer has ball skills i.e. is agile or any one of a hundred other words but not a genius.

All of which brings back to question (not the thread, but the question)
What to our collective minds constitutes a genius?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:00 am
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

Footballers are over paid, over loved, slime bags who still raked in their exorbitant fees while everyone else suffered during the "recession" and despite many of them raking in over £100,000 a week all we really care about is a politician claiming .49p for a sink plug or bankers who get rewarded in high bonuses for making hundreds of millions in taxes through their actions.... yet did anyone say a word about these prima donna pricks and their blood sucking tactics on football clubs? Nope... like sheep you all pay your Sky subscriptions, buy your season tickets and soak up the merchandising, all the while telling yourselves that you are your own people...

Anyway... where were we?
Crikey... I actually totally agree with Matt
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:02 am
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fionamw
Albert Einstein... Leonardo da Vinci... Rainman
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:41 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway... where were we?
Now Matt, don't hold back. Tell us what you really think.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:43 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

To me, genius isn't anything to do with how well you do anything. It's all about making connections that no-one else has seen, going mentally where no-one has gone before.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:54 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
According to one of the definitions from wikipedia I am one . If I am then I know an awful lot of others who are too.

One usage of the noun "genius" is closely related to the general concept of intelligence. One currently accepted way of attempting to measure one's intelligence is with an IQ test. The label of "genius" for persons of high IQ was popularized by Lewis Terman. He and his colleague Leta Hollingworth suggested different scores as a cut-off for genius in psychometric terms. Terman considered it to be an IQ of 140, while Hollingworth put it at an IQ of 180.[10][11]
Old Jan 24th 2011, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
No you would not.
I didn't say I believed they were, I just pointed out some people might.

However you cannot compare their skills with those you listed as its not about physical agility but a mental process making a ball move as you want in the air.

I personally relate genius to intellectual capacity, although some definitions of genius include natural ability and many people see it like that.

I don't see brilliant acting as genius but many do.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 12:29 pm
bil
Banned

What's the IQ threshold for the mouth breathing pondlife?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

christine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant futurechristine.king57 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
When the Rams moved from the Baseball ground it was pretty certain that Pride would come before a fall.
Was watching Soccer AM on sky and a Forest Fan, who was a builder, rang in and said he had laid a Forest Flag in the foundations of Pride Park!! There is a wonderful statue of Cloughie and Taylor now at Pride Park the fans petitioned for one to be built and they named the stretch of A52 from Derby to Nottingham Brian Clough Way
Old Jan 24th 2011, 12:42 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by jimenato
According to one of the definitions from wikipedia I am one . If I am then I know an awful lot of others who are too.
I like the definition there that said

'Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.'
Old Jan 24th 2011, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Nope... like sheep you all pay your Sky subscriptions, buy your season tickets and soak up the merchandising, all the while telling yourselves that you are your own people...
I plead not guilty to all three charges, m'lud. Not even a big TV fan, but freesat/freeserve does everything I need and more!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

like sheep you all pay your Sky subscriptions, buy your season tickets and soak up the merchandising, all the while telling yourselves that you are your own people...

Anyway... where were we?
I'm not part of " all "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.