Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Energy Performance Certificate

Energy Performance Certificate

Old Jun 4th 2013, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Energy Performance Certificate

Originally Posted by olivia
In UK the price has been regulated downwards by fierce competition to do them. Some agents have them done and hold the charge till the house is sold. That rather ties you to one agent but saves outlay of your own cash.
I have seen one agent in Nerja advertising that they will pay for the EPC to be done if they are given sole agency rights for a 9 month period. Others may follow suit.

A friend who has his property on the market says he has been told by agents that they will not advertise any properties on their websites etc. if the EPC is not obtained. Whether that's true or not, I don't know.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 7:10 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I have seen one agent in Nerja advertising that they will pay for the EPC to be done if they are given sole agency rights for a 9 month period. Others may follow suit.

A friend who has his property on the market says he has been told by agents that they will not advertise any properties on their websites etc. if the EPC is not obtained. Whether that's true or not, I don't know.
and yet I was talking to an agent early last month and she didn't know anything about it, felt it wasn't necessary for either rentals or sales.

now interesting question - if an offer has been made before 1 Jun and and accepted, as the sale hasn't been completed will the EPC be needed ??

`
Old Jun 4th 2013, 7:25 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
and yet I was talking to an agent early last month and she didn't know anything about it, felt it wasn't necessary for either rentals or sales.

now interesting question - if an offer has been made before 1 Jun and and accepted, as the sale hasn't been completed will the EPC be needed ??

`
Yes. It's very clear.

The Notary can NOT complete a sale after 1st June without one.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 12:42 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Guy has been here for over an hour now, taking full measurements of the house, inspecting the windows, doors, fabrication ............
Old Jun 4th 2013, 12:48 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Guy has been here for over an hour now, taking full measurements of the house, inspecting the windows, doors, fabrication ............
sounds comprehensive - far better than the young lady who came to the UK house spent 10mins including filling in her forms, didn't even ask to look - letalone inspect -the roof insulation. Her only comment was we had low power lighting and a smoke detector ()
Didn't even note the hallway had a flat roof.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 9:18 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a new twist -

A friend of mine is trying to sort out the estate of his late brother - the property has been empty for over a year. He asked the solicitor about getting an EPC (CEE) and was told that he didn't need one to sell the property as it had been empty for over 4 months! The solicitor in question is well known and respected on the Costa Blanca (Advoco) so I can't believe they have it wrong - or have they.

Also, what about a property that needs reforming? It has no power, no water but otherwise is totally sound. Does this need one to sell it?
Old Jul 13th 2013, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R

It is true, and what's more both the agent and seller could land up with a hefty fine if there is no EPC
Old Jul 13th 2013, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Marie787 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think they are a bit too paranoid on this site about spamming. People dont get as much information as they could. My understanding is that the energy certificate is now obligatory only if you want to sell or rent your house. If you are just living in it you dont need one, apparently. There will be loads of companies jumping on this bandwagon, the cheapest I have heard of was 150euros, the most expensive 450.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 1:54 pm
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Marie787
I think they are a bit too paranoid on this site about spamming. People dont get as much information as they could. My understanding is that the energy certificate is now obligatory only if you want to sell or rent your house. If you are just living in it you dont need one, apparently. There will be loads of companies jumping on this bandwagon, the cheapest I have heard of was 150euros, the most expensive 450.
I'm not sure why you talk about spamming?????

Early in this thread, it was made fairly clear as to when you need an EPC (CEE).

My points about an empty flat (for sale) and the building for reform (for sale) still remain.

by-the-way, you do NOT need a certificate if the property is rented for less than 4 months each year or (when rented) if the power consumption is less than 25% of the normal annual consumption.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought but re the flat is the solicitor not confusing the renting for only 4 months with being empty for four months. Just seems an easy opt out if a property is empty for four months.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 5:55 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marie787
I think they are a bit too paranoid on this site about spamming.
Yes we are, and for good reasons, but what has that got to do with this thread?
Old Jul 13th 2013, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Here's a new twist -

A friend of mine is trying to sort out the estate of his late brother - the property has been empty for over a year. He asked the solicitor about getting an EPC (CEE) and was told that he didn't need one to sell the property as it had been empty for over 4 months! The solicitor in question is well known and respected on the Costa Blanca (Advoco) so I can't believe they have it wrong - or have they.

Also, what about a property that needs reforming? It has no power, no water but otherwise is totally sound. Does this need one to sell it?
the solicitor isn't reading the law he is making a statement based on bar room gossip - needs to get out more and come on to BE(S) for the proper information.

the law says an EPC is required for every house put on the market from 1st June.
there are still estate agents out there who seem to know nothing about it, i caught one out only a few days ago.

whilst it is a cost the family don't want - it is a legal requirement and therefore they will have to bite the cost until they get the money from a successful sale.
if the sale takes longer than expected then they will still have the EPC to fall back on for any long term rental they wish to consider.

essentially it is a one time cost, but the law is quite specific. For those who wish to read the actual BOE's of the law go back to my Post #18 which lists the relevent items

as is the other one that requires cesspits to meet certain standards which Valencia is hitting everyone with and Andalucia doesn't appear to have thought about - Yet.

Last edited by Domino; Jul 13th 2013 at 7:57 pm. Reason: statement on BOE's added
Old Jul 13th 2013, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Energy Performance Certificate

Originally Posted by Domino
.as is the other one that requires cesspits to meet certain standards which Valencia is hitting everyone with and Andalucia doesn't appear to have thought about - Yet.
Oh yes Andalucia are when we built our place 3 years ago we could not have a cesspit it had to be a biodigester which cost about 12,000€ and the installation and type was approved by the Junta. That is still the case around Ayamonte.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 1:52 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
For some unexplained reason low energy lights are significantly cheaper in the UK than in Spain.

Possible UK government green subsidies? Even the Chinese shops are charging more than in the UK.

It does seem odd.
They are indeed heavily subsidised in the UK, price will rise significantly when the subsidy ends. Similarly, the price of solar panels has increased since the subsidy was terminated.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they think we won't realise how much green energy is costing us all. Read only today about how they have huge diesel generators to provide power for the grid when wind not suitable for wind turbines. I believe there are a number of methods more reliable than wind turbines but that is what we have ended up with, I wonder why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.