Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Energy Performance Certificate

Energy Performance Certificate

Old Jun 3rd 2013, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice
Default Re: Energy Performance Certificate

Originally Posted by Domino
if a gas boiler isn't tested annually to ensure it is operating correctly and the flue is not blocked - resulting in leakage of carbon monoxide (an invisible, tasteless, odourless, killing gas) into the living space - then there is the potential for loss of life.
We all know of instances where people have died due to defective gas boilers in holiday or long term rented or owned properties. And yet landlords and home owners don't even have this important item checked annually.

Now, despite the best will in Spain, UK, EU, Kyoto or The World I have yet to hear of anyone dying because an EPC hasn't been completed.

If it is hard enough to get a landlords and homeowners to get a property gas tested how the flying fish are you going to get them to get an EPC until it is really necessary.

`
Exactly my thinking. We have had these in the UK since 2007 they last 10 years. There is no obligation to improve a property that comes up with a bad report. It is only information for a prospective buyer or tenant as you say a bad report won't kill them it might affect getting a mortgage. It is an EU directive forced upon Spain to comply. I guess it will have created some jobs if nothing else. Gas Safety is far more important and Electrical to a degree [watch out PAT testing next]. Less than £100 for EPC in UK. Had one recently. Speaking as a UK landlord.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 3:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having one done tomorrow. There was nothing said about having to have it done to rent properties, as previously mentioned on this thread. Its for anyone selling their property. You don't have to do work on your property as a result of it, its just what you get in the UK where it forms part of the sale particulars and is extra information for the buyer. Cost is €275
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Mitzy I had an e mail from someone yesterday they didn't know anything about this and had a message from their estate agent saying they have to get one they were also told that you need one to rent out a property as well?
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 4:10 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Spain is clamping down on unregistered holiday lets and imposing big fines if you try to let without the proper paperwork and controls.

The EPC is just one part of the requirements .

It has been discussed in this thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794839
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'm having one done tomorrow. There was nothing said about having to have it done to rent properties, as previously mentioned on this thread. Its for anyone selling their property. You don't have to do work on your property as a result of it, its just what you get in the UK where it forms part of the sale particulars and is extra information for the buyer. Cost is €275
That is a RIP OFF
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I came across this link which makes mention of selling and long term lets?
http://www.latorreonline.es/index.ph...e-certificates
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's the same as the one in the UK like you say a load of rubbish especially as when we had one in the UK they were most interested in things like double glazing and loft insulation well any insulation in oldish Spanish Town house will be a first. Mind in the UK one way of improving your score (might help you Mitzy) is by having no ordinary light bulbs but all energy saving ones! In the UK we paid for a HIP's then week later Tories out of the blue did away with them and you just needed energy certificate about 1/4 the price of HIP's I was not very happy.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 4:31 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I posted a link to the law some time back; basically, you can NOT complete on a house sale without one. The notary's have been given strict instructions.

The EPC/CEE is also for rented properties of more than 49 m2 and which is rented for more than 4 months per year.

Mitzy, your price is VERY reasonable! Prices quoted for a 3 or 4 bed villa (generally based on size) are around 500 - 600 plus IVA.

The cheapest I've seen is 165 euros plus IVA for a one bed apartment/studio flat.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 6:23 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Spain is clamping down on unregistered holiday lets and imposing big fines if you try to let without the proper paperwork and controls.

The EPC is just one part of the requirements .

It has been discussed in this thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794839
Villa down the road have just been approved for holiday lets and are now registered. They have no energy certificate, nor do they have gates to the pool area ... figure that one out!

Originally Posted by olivia
That is a RIP OFF
Well, its the price you have to pay. I have no idea if you really need one for holiday lets as well

Originally Posted by bobd22
It's the same as the one in the UK like you say a load of rubbish especially as when we had one in the UK they were most interested in things like double glazing and loft insulation well any insulation in oldish Spanish Town house will be a first. Mind in the UK one way of improving your score (might help you Mitzy) is by having no ordinary light bulbs but all energy saving ones! In the UK we paid for a HIP's then week later Tories out of the blue did away with them and you just needed energy certificate about 1/4 the price of HIP's I was not very happy.
Have LED's in many rooms, and energy bulbs, but to be honest Ive got a feeling that no one is going to give a toss about my rating when (and if) they buy the place

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I posted a link to the law some time back; basically, you can NOT complete on a house sale without one. The notary's have been given strict instructions.

The EPC/CEE is also for rented properties of more than 49 m2 and which is rented for more than 4 months per year.

Mitzy, your price is VERY reasonable! Prices quoted for a 3 or 4 bed villa (generally based on size) are around 500 - 600 plus IVA.

The cheapest I've seen is 165 euros plus IVA for a one bed apartment/studio flat.
When you say rented more than 4 months of the year, does that mean the minimum one month rental thing has gone by the wayside and people can ren by the week or fortnight if you are registered? If I rented mine, it would only be for June July August anyway
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Have LED's in many rooms, and energy bulbs, but to be honest Ive got a feeling that no one is going to give a toss about my rating when (and if) they buy the place

Yes exactly just a way of making money no one is interested in them whatsoever. Mind they seem to be much more expensive in Spain than in the UK.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes exactly just a way of making money no one is interested in them whatsoever. Mind they seem to be much more expensive in Spain than in the UK.
In UK the price has been regulated downwards by fierce competition to do them. Some agents have them done and hold the charge till the house is sold. That rather ties you to one agent but saves outlay of your own cash.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 8:40 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

can't really see how the type of lamp used is going to make alot of difference if for example in a rental the tenant changes them out to something else.
that really has to be a "lifestyle" thing

more should be made of insulation etc
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Domino
can't really see how the type of lamp used is going to make alot of difference if for example in a rental the tenant changes them out to something else.
that really has to be a "lifestyle" thing

more should be made of insulation etc
You got It! Exactly! that's why this legislation is rubbish. Only makes money for those doing the surveys. The prices being quoted on here are way too much.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dom I mentioned the lamps because that in the Uk gets you higher marks. Our old house that we sold was built in the 1600's had solid stone walls at least 3 ft thick we dropped points? no cavity wall insulation! The whole thing is a joke. When HIP's first came out I knew people that took a career break from the police to become surveyors for them there was that much money to be made. Mind soon came back when they got rid of the HIP's.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 6:15 am
Just Joined

BUGS is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't want to get into trouble with the meds, but if you look at this site it has everything you need to know about the energy certs explained in plain English. It has been put together by an architect, a technical architect, and two civil engineers who are all registered assessors. It has been checked over by a reputable Lawyer and is as up to date and current as it can be. There is a lot of confusion regarding the energy certs so hopefully this should clear some of it up. Prices in Spain are a lot higher than the UK because only architects, technical architects and civil engineers can issue the certificates. It is also because of the previously mentioned HIPS in the UK. Lots of people paid a lot of money to become HIPS assessors, however when it was scrapped the only part that was kept was the energy certificate. This meant lots of people trained to carry out HIPS went over to doing the energy certs hence the huge competition and the price drop. The UK is currently the cheapest place in Europe to get an energy cert. Sweden, Germany, Italy and lots of other countries are the same price if not more expensive than Spain. The site with the info is
www.energy-performance-certificates-in-spain.com
There is a lot of information on there that should help clear up the confusion surrounding the EPC. The certificates probably won't make a difference or influence people looking to buy or rent, but they are required by law. If somebody finds a house and falls in love with it, they are not going to pass on it because it costs a bit more to run that one they don't like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.