Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Easy Jet - Think Twice

Easy Jet - Think Twice

Old Dec 31st 2008, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Easy Jet - Think Twice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I know this wont be the popular opinion, but although my opinion of the owner of Ryanair is low, I have flown with them twice recently with no problem with no problems. One of those occasions was for free (plus tax). Easy Jet operate on the same sort of basis.

But what can we expect from a a cheap no frills airline that offers extremely low cost flights? Should we expect the same service as the scheduled airlines such as BA etc? If so, then forget your cheap flights .... they will have to put the prices right up to take account of all the additional costs.

Its a sad fact of life really as regards these airlines ... we can't have it both ways unfortunately
But the flights are not cheap, cheap. Over the Christmas period 200 GBP each way!
Old Dec 31st 2008, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
Forget european directives, we had this with Ryanair earlier in the month. Doncaster airport was ice bound, no flights landing.

Once a flight is cancelled they have to do no more than offer you a refund of the ticket price. If they offer you a flight from another airport it is classed as a new booking. it is then up to you to present yourself at the airport, not up to them to get you there.

There is a big difference between delayed and cancelled. that is why ryanair flights are never delayed, they would have to provide drink, food and accomodation under the treaty. It is cheaper for them to cancel than delay a flight. The same would be for any other airline as well, so this is not a cheap shot at ryanair.
Sorry, but, that is not correct. If your flight is cancelled you are entitled under the European directive to certain rights. These include the following

RIGHT TO CARE

If boarding is denied to you against your will you should be offered

a) meals and refreshments in a reasonable relation to the waiting time
b) hotel accommodation where a stay of one or more nights becomes necessary
c) transport between the airport and place of accommodation (hotel or other)
d) two telephone calls, telex or fax messages or emails.

This obviously doesn´t apply if your flight is cancelled two weeks before the scheduled time of departure. But if your flight is cancelled after you have been checked in then it does apply.

This has nothing to do with being a low cost airline. It is a European directive. The reason why they tell you to do it yourself and send them receipts is because they reckon that the majority of passengers cannot be bothered to do it hence saving a good proportion of money.

You are also entitled to compensation of 250 Euro for flights 1500 km or less
450 Euro for more than 1500 km. However their get out clause on that is that there are exceptions, i.e. weather, Air traffic control, civil unrest security alerts strike action and flight safety. So more or less everything.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

encodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Sorry, but, that is not correct. If your flight is cancelled you are entitled under the European directive to certain rights. These include the following

RIGHT TO CARE

This obviously doesn´t apply if your flight is cancelled two weeks before the scheduled time of departure. But if your flight is cancelled after you have been checked in then it does apply.

This has nothing to do with being a low cost airline. It is a European directive. The reason why they tell you to do it yourself and send them receipts is because they reckon that the majority of passengers cannot be bothered to do it hence saving a good proportion of money.

450 Euro for more than 1500 km. However their get out clause on that is that there are exceptions, i.e. weather, Air traffic control, civil unrest security alerts strike action and flight safety. So more or less everything.
I'll remember that if we have a problem.
Many thanks for the imformation
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:17 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

RIGHT TO CARE

You get a fee flight, or maybe €100 return ... the flight is cancelled due to bad weather or ATC ....... do you really think the airline should be liable?

The £200 each way IS expensive .... Ryanair were doing free + tax when I checked before Christmas
Old Dec 31st 2008, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

jdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to all

These so called 'low cost' maybe cheap if they run from an airport with more competition, but from Seville there is little or no competition and they certainley are not low cost!! They are usually expensive and very uncomfortable, were you are packed in like cattle.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

You get a fee flight, or maybe €100 return ... the flight is cancelled due to bad weather or ATC ....... do you really think the airline should be liable?

The £200 each way IS expensive .... Ryanair were doing free + tax when I checked before Christmas
Why should you be confused...... it is quite clear in EU Law what is required of any airline. I do not expect compensation as it was due to weather but my complaint is the lack of after care.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdunbavin
, from Seville there is little or no competition and they certainley are not low cost!! They are usually expensive and very uncomfortable, were you are packed in like cattle.
Plenty of flights available to Stanstead or Liverpool starting up again from 30th March
with Ryanair for around €35 incl taxes.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Easy Jet - Think Twice

Originally Posted by big wheels
Plenty of flights available to Stanstead or Liverpool starting up again from 30th March
with Ryanair for around €35 incl taxes.
The Stansted / Sevilla route whilst not our prefered one does have some really cheap fares with Ryanair. I have actually had a 1p fafe out and back once, never managed the zero cost including tax and charges yet though.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:38 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Why should you be confused...... it is quite clear in EU Law what is required of any airline. I do not expect compensation as it was due to weather but my complaint is the lack of after care.
Im confused because at the end of the day if they have to honour committments as you illustrate for bad weather etc etc , i.e matters beyond their control, then there won't be any low cost airlines, because they couldn't afford to operate at their current rates

I dont see them as "get outs", I see it as common sense
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

jdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to all

Well Rynair would have to be virtually free in order for you to use them, what with their blinding bright yellow and blue seat, togehter with being squashed up like a sardine and then arriving at midnight at Stanstead, an airport that is in the middle of nowhere.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Im confused because at the end of the day if they have to honour committments as you illustrate for bad weather etc etc , i.e matters beyond their control, then there won't be any low cost airlines, because they couldn't afford to operate at their current rates

I dont see them as "get outs", I see it as common sense
Umm no, if I buy a ticket for something I am entering into a contract. It doesn´t matter if they are low cost or not and half the time they are not low cost at all. Yes, you can get some really cheap deals but these are few and far between. Anyway that is not the point they have "a duty of care" and in fact I have just had a response to my email from Easyjet apologising and stating that the care was not up to the standard that they expect to give and to write to them with an official letter of complaint.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:52 pm
Senior Moment

Well Rynair would have to be virtually free in order for you to use them, what with their blinding bright yellow and blue seat, togehter with being squashed up like a sardine and then arriving at midnight at Stanstead, an airport that is in the middle of nowhere.
Well as I said, I used them the last two times ...... and they WERE free last time. The last flight was as good as I have experienced with my usual Thomsonfly. Alicante /Birmingham or EMA no problem, although as you say Stanstead must be a pain for you

Umm no, if I buy a ticket for something I am entering into a contract. It doesn´t matter if they are low cost or not and half the time they are not low cost at all. Yes, you can get some really cheap deals but these are few and far between. Anyway that is not the point they have "a duty of care" and in fact I have just had a response to my email from Easyjet apologising and stating that the care was not up to the standard that they expect to give and to write to them with an official letter of complaint.
Yes I know what you are saying, but you maybe missed my point
What I am saying is that if they are to be held responsible for flight delays and cancellations for things beyond their control, then they will end up charging the same as any scheduled airlines, therefore "low cost airlines" will cease to be. I know you said the flight in question was expensive, but thats not always the case is it? Also Ryanair were doing free before Christmas as I already mentioned.

I agree that if they just cancel a flight for operational reasons then they should pay ... but an air traffic control strike in the UK or France is not really their fault, and no one can predict airports closing due to bad weather. Also I agree they should be more proactive in giving info ....... but I suppose that failing has been aimed at BA as well in the past.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 2:38 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

We use Ryanair all the time from Stanstead to Jerez/Sevelle, (6 years now) you get what you pay for and if you understand how Ryanair works then you can get some really good prices. Kids have just booked to come out in August, 8 of them and they are paying £25.00 each, each way that's it all inclusive, OK no hold bags just cabin and there was a charge of £80.00 for the credit card booking but that is still a cheap deal.

I agree the space is very confined (I'm a larger lady and believe me I can't even have the food tray down coz of me boobs) but it is for two and a half hours no big deal, and there are plenty of very nice cheap B&B in the local area that give free pick-up service, and the trains and bus go into London as well as the surounding area. I have no gripes about them, not even when my son missed his flight because at the end of the day it was really down to him.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 5:18 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by crispy
and there was a charge of £80.00 for the credit card booking but that is still a cheap deal.
Think £80 charge for your credit card was a bit stiff!
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

They also have a checking in charge and charge for your suitcases.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.