Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

correct grammar and punctuation plea

correct grammar and punctuation plea

Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:48 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: correct grammar and punctuation plea

Originally Posted by poollounger
I am as guilty for the overuse of extended full stops............but then I don't seem many of us using the semicolon. As long as it isn't a case of snobbery, then promoting the use of good English is to be applauded. Otherwise the language will in time descend into the shorthand of SMS texting. It is difficult enough trying to explain colloquialisms to one's Spanish friends who are trying to improve their English. All those nasty Americanisms that creep in day by day. Like " I am so over it" !!!!!
The problem with many of us is that we can spell and have fairly reasonable grammar, but just cannot type; (I was going to put .........) sometimes one is just too tired or exuberant to go back and correct all the typos.
I type quicker than my mind works, so my fingers hit the keys in the wrong order, and sometimes missing the space bar, like I originally did between 'fingers' and 'hit', just look and you'll see what I typed. Sometimes I don't have the time to spell check, but then spell cheques can be sew inaccurate, I also have fingers that hit too keys at the same time, so get extra letters in the word. I have no problem with wrong spelling, and punctuation isn't exactly my fourty, although I did learn it at school. Just to be on the safe side I've spell checked this, and it all past.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 12:31 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Well the Spain forum is not somewhere i ever thought i would read this thread!
USA, maybe, The Lounge probably, TIO most definitely, but Spain?

I went to a bloody good school, i had to my parents lived abroad, and to be honest if i typed on the Newsletter that i write for how i type here i would lose the job, but this is BE, it is where some people come to relax, share, ask, debate, learn and often to have a laugh. Why have we got to perform perfectly?

Without being a snob, because im not, a large percentage of people who move to Spain are working class people, yes they may well have had a good education, thats an aside, but they have gone to Spain to have a better life, not improve their Spoken or written word.

And as someone in The Lounge recently said, "dont sweat the small stuff"

and i paraphrase since i cant yet post a link!
Old Feb 18th 2007, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Agreed, but is an apostrophe in the wrong place such a drama, I am just thankful I know it is in the wrong place.
I certainly would not start a badly punctuated thread about it taking the micky out of people who may have not been as lucky as us.
I stand by what I said, if I can read it then I am happy ;-)
exaxtly, the peeps are not sitting an english exam when they post on here.....world war 3 is about to commence and folks are worrying about grammar... i ask you
Old Feb 18th 2007, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

It is strange that is is on the Spanish thread; it should cover all the threads
However, why have a problem with writing correctly? It also helps one get a decent job. If basic mistakes are made, as they are here, aren't they also going to be on the CV? I know peoople that don't hire anybody with such poor syntax and grammar.
Spell Check and Preview done

Last edited by Liana; Feb 18th 2007 at 2:09 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 2:19 pm
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liana
However, why have a problem with writing correctly? It also helps one get a decent job. If basic mistakes are made, as they are here, aren't they also going to be on the CV? I know peoople that don't hire anybody with such poor syntax and grammar.
Hire? Dont you mean employ?
Old Feb 18th 2007, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nomad_H
Hire? Dont you mean employ?

No
Oops- spell check done again.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 2:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

That is why such a lot of apt money making people are missed by some companies, and they find to their cost when they are taken over by the guy who missed a comma on his cv. ;-)
Old Feb 18th 2007, 2:31 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

This must be the most exciting thread since this section was started,
I think all the spelling and grammar experts should come into the Lounge
we need your help there.

Please wear your flak jackets ...

Last edited by Ray; Feb 18th 2007 at 2:43 pm. Reason: cos I bleedin want too......................
Old Feb 18th 2007, 2:32 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I think all the spelling and grammar experts should come into the Lounge
we need your help there.

Please wear you flak jackets ...
LOL.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 2:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Its all right to put a smilie or two on your cv, but a job loser to miss a comma
Old Feb 18th 2007, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdr
Its all right to put a smilie or two on your cv, but a job loser to miss a comma
..or apostrophes, .
Old Feb 18th 2007, 2:51 pm
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=Ray;4418708]This must be the most exciting thread since this section was started,

It's called Sunday afternoon banter. There's been a vacuum in my life on Sundays since the Billy Cotton Band Show finished.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 2:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nomad_H
It's called Sunday afternoon banter. There's been a vacuum in my life on Sundays since the Billy Cotton Band Show finished.
I hate to say this but I can remember that well although the
show finished 39 years ago..
Wakey Wa-a-a-key
Attached Files
File Type: wav
billycotton.wav (83.8 KB, 51 views)
Old Feb 18th 2007, 3:06 pm
---------

Originally Posted by Ray
I hate to say this but I can remember that well although the
show finished 39 years ago..
Wakey Wa-a-a-key
Absolutely brilliant! Thanks for the link, thats really cheered me up today.

Sorry about my grammar!
Old Feb 18th 2007, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Nomad_H;4418741]
Originally Posted by Ray

But do you remember "Sing Something Simple" on Sunday evenings and "Housewives´Choice" on the radio? Now Housewives´Choice would mean something completely different!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.