Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Any cryptic minds out there

Any cryptic minds out there

Old Jun 4th 2014, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any cryptic minds out there

Originally Posted by jimenato
County's (you need the s) giving up its capital is Galway's without the G.

The reason or relationship took me ages to work out - under the right circumstances 'always' means 'as a last resort'.

e.g. 'If everywhere is closed I suppose we could always have fish and chips'

= 'If everywhere is closed I suppose we could as a last resort have fish and chips'
I see the connection now, pretty lateral that one me thinks.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Wow, I am amazed that I thought that one out immediately when I saw the spoiler answer, brain not as addled with age as I thought it was. Mind you I did not find the answer in the first place, then again I did not cheat.

Rosemary
Nothing wrong with yer faculties!

From the same corner of the crossword I have this final clue.

'Couple picked up food for early birds' (4 letters)

Y*L*

The answer is clearly YOLK and I can see how it works with birds etc. But I can't get the connection with 'couple picked up..
Old Jun 4th 2014, 12:28 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy
Nothing wrong with yer faculties!

From the same corner of the crossword I have this final clue.

'Couple picked up food for early birds' (4 letters)

Y*L*

The answer is clearly YOLK and I can see how it works with birds etc. But I can't get the connection with 'couple picked up..
The part regarding "couple picked up" refers to a "Yoke", the way that one person can carry two buckets, so the couple are the buckets and they are picked up using a yoke. The yoke is also used to keep two oxen together.

Rosemary
Old Jun 4th 2014, 4:40 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

The part regarding "couple picked up" refers to a "Yoke", the way that one person can carry two buckets, so the couple are the buckets and they are picked up using a yoke. The yoke is also used to keep two oxen together.

Rosemary
Hmmm.... I'm sure you're right but I would like to see a 'sounds like'.

ETA couple (as a verb) meaning yoke and picked up as in 'heard'

Last edited by jimenato; Jun 4th 2014 at 4:41 pm. Reason: got it!
Old Jun 4th 2014, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rosemary
Now why didn't I think of that?

Agree also with jimenatos comment.

I've got one crossword that I've had on the go since May 9th. It is by a compiler I have seen numerous times but I keep picking it up and putting it down and generally make very little progress.

Try this one.

Show actor, quietly leaving, has little hankering to return. (3,7)

T*e/*******

If you get this I'll be proper mad

PS the only thing I got was 'the shadows' and I don't even know how or why.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 8:47 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Now why didn't I think of that?

Agree also with jimenatos comment.

I've got one crossword that I've had on the go since May 9th. It is by a compiler I have seen numerous times but I keep picking it up and putting it down and generally make very little progress.

Try this one.

Show actor, quietly leaving, has little hankering to return. (3,7)

T*e/*******

If you get this I'll be proper mad

PS the only thing I got was 'the shadows' and I don't even know how or why.
No reason at all for this but like you came up with The Shadows I have just thought The Hustler, no idea why and cannot now get it out of my head. I will try tomorrow.

Rosemary
Old Jun 4th 2014, 9:18 pm

Now I have The Phantom in my head. Note to self, do not look on expats if you want to sleep or read.

Breaking the word up I have the "han" of hankering, the "tom" could refer to Tom Hanks' so you have part of hankering once again. Clutching at very thin straws here. Feeling foolish.

Rosemary
Old Jun 4th 2014, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Now I have The Phantom in my head. Note to self, do not look on expats if you want to sleep or read.

Breaking the word up I have the "han" of hankering, the "tom" could refer to Tom Hanks' so you have part of hankering once again. Clutching at very thin straws here. Feeling foolish.

Rosemary
I know what you mean. I was going down a similar road with Hank Marvin

Bed time here too
Old Jun 5th 2014, 10:33 am

Jimenato, we need you to do your cheating bit to put us out of our misery.

Rosemary
Old Jun 5th 2014, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Jimenato, we need you to do your cheating bit to put us out of our misery.

Rosemary
The second letter of the second word might just be 'w' if that helps

The clue that gives me the 'w' is 'Andrew hit town'. 6 letters and the only thing I can think of is Darwen. (Lancashire).

Last edited by stuboy; Jun 5th 2014 at 11:26 am.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Got it.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 12:24 pm

Got it.
Come on, tell me.

Rosemary
Old Jun 5th 2014, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Come on, tell me.

Rosemary
The Sweeney

Little (wee)
Hankering (Yen) to return ney

How about this one

Tin hat to wear in viciously nasty place (5,3)

S*a**/***
Old Jun 5th 2014, 1:14 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

a) I did try to cheat but it wasn't having it on this one
b) I was on to 'ney' = yen reversed but that's as far as I got
c) Well done, that was difficult
d) Next please...
Old Jun 5th 2014, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jimenato
a) I did try to cheat but it wasn't having it on this one
b) I was on to 'ney' = yen reversed but that's as far as I got
c) Well done, that was difficult
d) Next please...
Try the tin hat one above. I've a feeling it ends in cap.

I also had snake pit in mind but can't see how apart from Tin (Sn) and pit (helmet)

Last edited by stuboy; Jun 5th 2014 at 1:30 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.