British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/you-paid-according-your-skin-colour-791619/)

UKCityGent Mar 25th 2013 11:35 am

Re: Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour?

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10622368)
:britflag:

Knob.

I'll give you the benifit of the doubt and assume there was a hidden joke

seven seas Mar 25th 2013 12:26 pm

Bear Shits in Woods

Arcadia Mar 25th 2013 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10622270)
I wonder whether the Gov pay differently because of how much you will bring to the economy.

Lets suggest an arbitary figure of AED20,000 a month.

How much of that will stay in the UAE (Rent, food, general stuff) for a Westerner and an Indian?

I'd suggest a hell of a lot more will stay in the UAE by employing a Westerner than an Indian.

My Husband always said this when working for ADNOC. All Grade 13 employees were paid the same salary, Indian, British, Canadian etc.

We lived in Abu Dhabi for 12 years, purchased a brand new car every 3 years aswell as buying the latest gadgets, mobile phones, dining out etc.

The Indian, Pakistani, sudanese employees all drove 20 year old cars, had Nokia brick phones and send the bulk of thier salary home.

Also, they cost the company a lot more than a western family because we had two children yet the others had five or six kids which was, five.lots of airfares, five lots of school fees, bigger housing allowance, seven flights a year,

They also spent a lot of time at the Dr's getting the free medication and sending it home.

LaLaLayla Mar 26th 2013 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Arcadia (Post 10623618)
The Indian, Pakistani, sudanese employees all drove 20 year old cars, had Nokia brick phones and send the bulk of thier salary home.

Also, they cost the company a lot more than a western family because we had two children yet the others had five or six kids which was, five.lots of airfares, five lots of school fees, bigger housing allowance, seven flights a year,

They also spent a lot of time at the Dr's getting the free medication and sending it home.

What a horrible, begrudging post :(

Beakersful Mar 26th 2013 4:04 am

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 10623831)

I'd have thought any standard contract would have "upto 2 dependents (children)" in it?

We can't even get teeth cleaning in our medical insurance here, something that is "preventive" treatment on a bi-annual basis and would result in less expenditure in the long run.

Maxima Mar 26th 2013 4:41 am

My Husband always said this when working for ADNOC. All Grade 13 employees were paid the same salary, Indian, British, Canadian etc.

We lived in Abu Dhabi for 12 years, purchased a brand new car every 3 years aswell as buying the latest gadgets, mobile phones, dining out etc.

Younger IndoPaks nowadays dont have the "send money home" mindset particularly if they are second generation migrants; at the place I work in, the younger ones who are paid well live pretty decently splashing out on cars and vacations while the older generation are still stuck in their "Sunny to Camry to Pajero" mentality.

LaLaLayla Mar 26th 2013 5:05 am

My husband's team are all Indian or Sri Lankan, and they all have better phones than him :D

Kix Mar 26th 2013 5:30 am

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 10623993)
My husband's team are all Indian or Sri Lankan, and they all have better phones than him :D

Interesting comment.

So are you saying your husband is a technophobe or that you perceive he's somewhat inferior because he has a rubbish phone?

LaLaLayla Mar 26th 2013 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10624006)
Interesting comment.

So are you saying your husband is a technophobe or that you perceive he's somewhat inferior because he has a rubbish phone?

Neither. I couldn't give a fig about technology or status objects (with the exception of cars, of course). I am just pointing out that the post above seems like a load of rubbish.

britexpat76 Mar 26th 2013 7:17 am

Sounds about right a few years ago. These days more and more are spending money here and looking at cars as status items and only having a couple of children, its the poorer that seem to have more kids?

Boomhauer Mar 26th 2013 7:38 am

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 10624061)
Neither. I couldn't give a fig about technology or status objects (with the exception of cars, of course).

That's me in a nutshell. Never owned a smart phone, simple no frills cell phone does what I need it to do.

The only reason in my mind to get a top notch smart phone like an Iphone 4 or SamSung Galaxy is for the camera, but I opted to go for a dedicated compact camera a few months back.

I splash out on stuff I like, not what everyone else is doing/buying just for the sake of being perceived as a baller/hip/trendy/whatever.

Arcadia Mar 26th 2013 9:00 am

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 10623831)

Not begrudged at all La La..it was true back in 1999 onwards, I suppose it could be different now with the surge of super gadgets and super Malls etc.

Thank God places like ADNOC have a Grading System which means every nationality get the same salary. :)

OriginalSunshine Mar 26th 2013 3:04 pm

well dang miss thang, I'd say they were a damn sight smarter than y'all ;)

Arcadia Mar 26th 2013 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 10624812)
well dang miss thang, I'd say they were a damn sight smarter than y'all ;)

Really, And why would you say that? I think Im quite smart, Im 45 years old, live mortgage free and drive a Mercedes E 320. All courtesy of ADNOC and MY Employer HE Shiekh Nasser bin butti as nanny to his son.

You make it sound as if i was being racist or demeaning..how dare you! The guys i was talking about were also all personal friends and so were thier wives and children..and yeah, they sent money home to buy land etc..good for them..each to thier own.

I came over there, worked, saved, spent..and came home to the UK to enjoy being with my two newborn grandaughters...Hmm.

Kix Mar 26th 2013 4:24 pm

Just an E320?

Peasant!