British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/you-paid-according-your-skin-colour-791619/)

Saj786 Mar 24th 2013 9:38 am

Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour?
 
interesting article - sad but true !

http://gulfbusiness.com/2013/03/are-.../#.UU7Iehwj2VE

Kix Mar 24th 2013 9:41 am

Re: Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour?
 
The average monthly salary for a Western expatriate in the UAE is $11,936.

AVERAGE????? thats best part of AED44,000!

I don't think so.

Scamp Mar 24th 2013 9:49 am

Re: Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour?
 

The Gulf Business Salary Survey 2013 surveyed the average remuneration for 20 roles, including finance, real estate and media, across the six Gulf countries.
I think I agree with Kix, average seems quite high.

LaLaLayla Mar 24th 2013 10:06 am

Re: Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour?
 
I used to be when I worked for the government. I was on a Grade 2 salary, whereas my two Indian colleagues were on respectively Grade 3 salary (Northern Inda) and Grade 4 salary (Southern India). We all did the same job.

Now I work for an international company and we are all paid according to our qualifications and experience, which is how it should be :)

mentalist Mar 24th 2013 10:09 am

Re: Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour?
 
Sad but true? I certainly don't think so. I'm sure that there are plenty of Asian expats who would love to be earning their "average" salary of USD8,853 ( over Dhs32,500)! Where do they invent these figures?

Boomhauer Mar 24th 2013 10:24 am

Re: Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour?
 

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 10620843)
I used to be when I worked for the government. I was on a Grade 2 salary, whereas my two Indian colleagues were on respectively Grade 3 salary (Northern Inda) and Grade 4 salary (Southern India). We all did the same job.

Now I work for an international company and we are all paid according to our qualifications and experience, which is how it should be :)

Thats odd that they differentiate amongst Indians, thought they lumped all Subcons as one in regards to salary and treatment.

Scamp Mar 24th 2013 10:59 am

Re: Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour?
 

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10620863)
Thats odd that they differentiate amongst Indians, thought they lumped all Subcons as one in regards to salary and treatment.

They are brutal with each other. I try moving Southern Indians to the North and finding guys to do it is like finding rocking horse shit.

LaLaLayla Mar 24th 2013 11:48 am

Re: Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour?
 

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10620863)
Thats odd that they differentiate amongst Indians, thought they lumped all Subcons as one in regards to salary and treatment.

Nope. Well, not at the AD govt, anyway.

Boomhauer Mar 24th 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour?
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10620897)
They are brutal with each other. I try moving Southern Indians to the North and finding guys to do it is like finding rocking horse shit.

Pardon my confusion; you mean that as Human Resources / Recruiter you try to find work for S.Indians in Northern India but S.Indians do not want to move north?

Boomhauer Mar 24th 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour?
 

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 10620949)
Nope. Well, not at the AD govt, anytway.

So they pay Northern Indians and I assume Pakistanis more for the same job than Southern Indians? How do they possibly determine who is Northern and who is Southern :confused:
Am curious;do Pathans get treated the same as Grade 3 salary types? When I was in AD, Pathans were most visible in the construction, landscaping and taxi driver industry , the first 2 were about the worst jobs with the possible exception of housemaid, depending on how human the employer was.

OriginalSunshine Mar 24th 2013 3:34 pm

Re: Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour?
 

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10621174)
When I was in AD, Pathans were most visible in the construction, landscaping and taxi driver industry , the first 2 were about the worst jobs with the possible exception of housemaid, depending on how human the employer was.

That's about education, not race.

I get paid according to my passport which is "Western". Those with "Eastern" passports get paid less, simply because the company thinks that they will accept less based on what they would get paid after tax in their home countries. And... the company is correct in that assumption, as there are far more Eastern engineers than Western engineers, so obviously there is not a shortage of takers.

Boomhauer Mar 24th 2013 3:43 pm

Re: Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour?
 

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 10621222)
That's about education, not race.

I get paid according to my passport which is "Western". Those with "Eastern" passports get paid less, simply because the company thinks that they will accept less based on what they would get paid after tax in their home countries. And... the company is correct in that assumption, as there are far more Eastern engineers than Western engineers, so obviously there is not a shortage of takers.

Re. Bolded
Are you referring to the case of Pathans?

LLL mentioned N.Indians were in a higher salary category than S.Indians for doing the same job, so it isn't nationality or education .

Millhouse Mar 24th 2013 5:18 pm

Re: Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour?
 
Drink from the teat while the cream still flows, western fat cats.

Boomhauer Mar 24th 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour?
 

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10621359)
Drink from the teat while the cream still flows, western fat cats.

How goes Emiratisation,Qatarisation,Saudisation,Kuwaitisati on ?
Is the UAE quite successfull in replacing Westerners with Locals?

Millhouse Mar 24th 2013 5:37 pm

Re: Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour?
 

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10621379)
Is the UAE quite successfull in replacing Westerners with Locals?

As the saying goes, it's hard to get the patient to take the medicine when they quite like the disease.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:28 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.