British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/you-paid-according-your-skin-colour-791619/)

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 24th 2013 6:59 pm

Re: Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour?

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10621168)
Pardon my confusion; you mean that as Human Resources / Recruiter you try to find work for S.Indians in Northern India but S.Indians do not want to move north?

I am busy in the North and South at the moment. Southern guys are much less interested in Delhi for example. I've had a whole host of reasons as to why including being worried about getting abused physically. Honestly couldn't make it up.

Boomhauer Mar 24th 2013 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10621512)
I am busy in the North and South at the moment. Southern guys are much less interested in Delhi for example. I've had a whole host of reasons as to why including being worried about getting abused physically. Honestly couldn't make it up.

That wouldn't surprise me if it was 30 years ago, but this is 2013 ...
Ofcourse these Northerners will be quick to play the victim when living in the UK .

jam25mack Mar 24th 2013 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10621379)
How goes Emiratisation,Qatarisation,Saudisation,Kuwaitisati on ?
Is the UAE quite successfull in replacing Westerners with Locals?

Nope, well not in my industry (Con/insulting Eng).

Western (Brits, Aussies etc) were the mainstay (in my British firm) and more recently I have noticed an increase in European engineers (Greek, French especially).

Subcon engineer numbers have stayed pretty consistent for the last few (7) years.

As for Arabs, relatively few and none of which are in senior positions. A few Egyptians but no Emiratis, Kuwaitis etc that I can think of. They are probably employed but never turn up for work.

From my experience the reason the Westerners get paid more is because they are needed to be Client facing. Irregardless of if an Subcon engineer is better or worse an Emirati would rather sit and talk to a Brit than a Subcon engineer. This is especially the case on big expensive projects as they want to feel they are getting what they pay for.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 25th 2013 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10621555)
That wouldn't surprise me if it was 30 years ago, but this is 2013 ...
Ofcourse these Northerners will be quick to play the victim when living in the UK .

It's not all of them, there are plenty who will do it. But the ratio I get is about 50:50.

Jobs in Mumbai; everyone is all over it.

The Dean Mar 25th 2013 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10622004)
It's not all of them, there are plenty who will do it. But the ratio I get is about 50:50.

Jobs in Mumbai; everyone is all over it.

So............ to put on my devil's advocate hat, and turn things round (stop me when you've heard enough cliches), I have a question:

'Would an Indian, from north OR south, do YOUR job better than you can?'

I'm not knocking your skills, but would an Indian employer prefer someone who 'knows' the local market better than you?

The Dean Mar 25th 2013 4:01 am

Going back to the original survey (where is it, by the way? I can only find articles about it), I am confused by one aspect - are they simply recording average salary according to nationality, ethnic background, etc, or is there some element of 'getting paid more for doing the same job' in there?

Anyway - those numbers will be distorted by recruitment policies in the first place. In my profession, and I'm sure many others, if a firm is looking for a senior manager or executive, they look to the west. Further down the scale ('Accounts Manager' or whatever), they know there are many Indians who will do that job very well.

For this reason, the Indian will earn less than the Westerner. Nothing to do with skin colour - it's just that the Westerners tend to hold more senior positions.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 25th 2013 4:48 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10622018)
So............ to put on my devil's advocate hat, and turn things round (stop me when you've heard enough cliches), I have a question:

'Would an Indian, from north OR south, do YOUR job better than you can?'

I'm not knocking your skills, but would an Indian employer prefer someone who 'knows' the local market better than you?

Yes and no. There is bucket-loads to be said for local knowledge, local inside info and being based locally.

However, working for a big British firm, I am not just finding guys sat in the South, but in the UAE/ Qatar / KSA etc to go back to India to work on big schemes. Chaps born and raised in the South are definitely hesitant...but these are more 'senior' / management roles where we will have a blend of local and expats on project.

There will be roles beneath these guys - I won't be recruiting for them but I may be involved in reviewing profiles sent by local firms as the first check if you like.

Basically, I'm a self important bellend who wants to work on stuff that makes me more money but has no interest in filling engineer / supervision roles because they don't make me money.

Meow Mar 25th 2013 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10621174)
So they pay Northern Indians and I assume Pakistanis more for the same job than Southern Indians? How do they possibly determine who is Northern and who is Southern :confused:
Am curious;do Pathans get treated the same as Grade 3 salary types? When I was in AD, Pathans were most visible in the construction, landscaping and taxi driver industry , the first 2 were about the worst jobs with the possible exception of housemaid, depending on how human the employer was.

Probably in the same way we quickly work out who is from the North or South in the UK...

Of course, there are always exceptions. I have several Indian and Pakistani clients who are earning way above the Western averages.

And when the average is referred to is it the mean or the median? That could give quite different numbers.

Boomhauer Mar 25th 2013 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10622188)
Probably in the same way we quickly work out who is from the North or South in the UK...

I had thought of the linguistic aspect but then doesn't it become a chore to try and and figure out whos mother tongue is Southern and whos is Northern, and all for what?

AD government will try and pay the least amount they can to secure the services of person, so why would they pay Indians from the North more than those from the South? Paying more to Westerners or Japanese makes sense because of: higher standard of living , cost of living and the greater opportunities available in said 1st world nations. So UAE needs to offer an attractive package to entice these nationals , but with Indians, it doesn't make sense that they would pay X more than Y for the same job and qualifications based on geography.

Kix Mar 25th 2013 9:53 am

I wonder whether the Gov pay differently because of how much you will bring to the economy.

Lets suggest an arbitary figure of AED20,000 a month.

How much of that will stay in the UAE (Rent, food, general stuff) for a Westerner and an Indian?

I'd suggest a hell of a lot more will stay in the UAE by employing a Westerner than an Indian.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 25th 2013 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10622270)
I wonder whether the Gov pay differently because of how much you will bring to the economy.

Lets suggest an arbitary figure of AED20,000 a month.

How much of that will stay in the UAE (Rent, food, general stuff) for a Westerner and an Indian?

I'd suggest a hell of a lot more will stay in the UAE by employing a Westerner than an Indian.

BUT, surely the rent goes to Iran, the food money goes to France, the spare change goes offshore and what's left is spent on booze which stays with the Dubai man.

Oh, wait. Most of my '20,000' goes back into the system it would seem.

britexpat76 Mar 25th 2013 10:57 am

I don't employ Indians, Egyptians and Pakistanis. Indians as they are naturally submissive which does not help in sales,pakistanis as 99.9% of them are stupid and they scare me and Egyptians as I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them. I would employ any westerner with half a brain though.

UKCityGent Mar 25th 2013 11:22 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10622329)
I don't employ Indians, Egyptians and Pakistanis. Indians as they are naturally submissive which does not help in sales,pakistanis as 99.9% of them are stupid and they scare me and Egyptians as I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them. I would employ any westerner with half a brain though.

So would you employ a western egyptian, a western indian, or a western pakistani ?

Kix Mar 25th 2013 11:23 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 10622365)
So would you employ a western egyptian, a western indian, or a western pakistani ?

:britflag:

Knob.

britexpat76 Mar 25th 2013 11:28 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 10622365)

Western educated and traits, yes.