Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour?

Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour?

Old Mar 24th 2013, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Saj786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour?

interesting article - sad but true !

http://gulfbusiness.com/2013/03/are-.../#.UU7Iehwj2VE
Old Mar 24th 2013, 9:41 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Are You Paid According To Your Skin Colour?

The average monthly salary for a Western expatriate in the UAE is $11,936.

AVERAGE????? thats best part of AED44,000!

I don't think so.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 9:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

The Gulf Business Salary Survey 2013 surveyed the average remuneration for 20 roles, including finance, real estate and media, across the six Gulf countries.
I think I agree with Kix, average seems quite high.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

I used to be when I worked for the government. I was on a Grade 2 salary, whereas my two Indian colleagues were on respectively Grade 3 salary (Northern Inda) and Grade 4 salary (Southern India). We all did the same job.

Now I work for an international company and we are all paid according to our qualifications and experience, which is how it should be
Old Mar 24th 2013, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Sad but true? I certainly don't think so. I'm sure that there are plenty of Asian expats who would love to be earning their "average" salary of USD8,853 ( over Dhs32,500)! Where do they invent these figures?

Last edited by mentalist; Mar 24th 2013 at 10:32 am.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
I used to be when I worked for the government. I was on a Grade 2 salary, whereas my two Indian colleagues were on respectively Grade 3 salary (Northern Inda) and Grade 4 salary (Southern India). We all did the same job.

Now I work for an international company and we are all paid according to our qualifications and experience, which is how it should be
Thats odd that they differentiate amongst Indians, thought they lumped all Subcons as one in regards to salary and treatment.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 10:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Thats odd that they differentiate amongst Indians, thought they lumped all Subcons as one in regards to salary and treatment.
They are brutal with each other. I try moving Southern Indians to the North and finding guys to do it is like finding rocking horse shit.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. Well, not at the AD govt, anyway.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
They are brutal with each other. I try moving Southern Indians to the North and finding guys to do it is like finding rocking horse shit.
Pardon my confusion; you mean that as Human Resources / Recruiter you try to find work for S.Indians in Northern India but S.Indians do not want to move north?
Old Mar 24th 2013, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
Nope. Well, not at the AD govt, anytway.
So they pay Northern Indians and I assume Pakistanis more for the same job than Southern Indians? How do they possibly determine who is Northern and who is Southern
Am curious;do Pathans get treated the same as Grade 3 salary types? When I was in AD, Pathans were most visible in the construction, landscaping and taxi driver industry , the first 2 were about the worst jobs with the possible exception of housemaid, depending on how human the employer was.

Last edited by Boomhauer; Mar 24th 2013 at 2:56 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 3:34 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in AD, Pathans were most visible in the construction, landscaping and taxi driver industry , the first 2 were about the worst jobs with the possible exception of housemaid, depending on how human the employer was.
That's about education, not race.

I get paid according to my passport which is "Western". Those with "Eastern" passports get paid less, simply because the company thinks that they will accept less based on what they would get paid after tax in their home countries. And... the company is correct in that assumption, as there are far more Eastern engineers than Western engineers, so obviously there is not a shortage of takers.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
That's about education, not race.

I get paid according to my passport which is "Western". Those with "Eastern" passports get paid less, simply because the company thinks that they will accept less based on what they would get paid after tax in their home countries. And... the company is correct in that assumption, as there are far more Eastern engineers than Western engineers, so obviously there is not a shortage of takers.
Re. Bolded
Are you referring to the case of Pathans?

LLL mentioned N.Indians were in a higher salary category than S.Indians for doing the same job, so it isn't nationality or education .
Old Mar 24th 2013, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Drink from the teat while the cream still flows, western fat cats.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Drink from the teat while the cream still flows, western fat cats.
How goes Emiratisation,Qatarisation,Saudisation,Kuwaitisati on ?
Is the UAE quite successfull in replacing Westerners with Locals?
Old Mar 24th 2013, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Is the UAE quite successfull in replacing Westerners with Locals?
As the saying goes, it's hard to get the patient to take the medicine when they quite like the disease.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.