Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Vaccine rollout in the UAE

Vaccine rollout in the UAE

Old Dec 23rd 2020, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccine rollout in the UAE

Originally Posted by UKMS
I think the answers to most of those will differ country to country (i see you are not UAE based) or in UAE even emirate to emirate.

I'm in Qatar but home is in Thailand.

I'm thinking that once vaccinated, and assuming you cannot be a carrier, quarantine should no longer be a necessity. For sure it will be necessary to show that you have been vaccinated to travel, think yellow fever cards for parts of Africa. Just wondering if all this is likely to get sorted in the next 6-12 months.
Old Dec 24th 2020, 12:19 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinbkk
I'm in Qatar but home is in Thailand.

I'm thinking that once vaccinated, and assuming you cannot be a carrier, quarantine should no longer be a necessity. For sure it will be necessary to show that you have been vaccinated to travel, think yellow fever cards for parts of Africa. Just wondering if all this is likely to get sorted in the next 6-12 months.
Think the problem with that is that vaccination does not stop you being a carrier, only your getting sick. Therefore as things stand there's no reduction in transmission. If you're thinking about getting out of quarantine in Thailand, forget it. Not happening anytime soon until after most Thais have been vaccinated, and seeing how they're not starting their vaccination program until the middle of next year......

I'm in quarantine in Bangkok at the moment as it goes.
Old Dec 27th 2020, 5:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Benny80
I took the Sinopharm vaccine last week at a SEHA centre in Abu Dhabi. Walk in with no appointment required. Approx.1 hour process. Doctor asks regarding allergies and general health questions. I asked if they needed to prioritise high risk people due to limited supply as i am relatively young so not particularly high risk. Doc said no and that vaccine is available to anyone over 18 years of age.
Naturally i would prefer a non Chinese version. My thought process / decision was along the lines of its 1) probably better to have the Vacc rather than not take it and possible catch the real thing without having been vaccinated. 2) Whilst i have been getting out and about a bit in covid times i have been a little cautious. Keen to get back to freely meeting friends / having fun and travelling.

I'm interested to here from others on how they find the mood here in the UAE. Friends i talk to are generally getting on with their lives. Partying, eating out and social social activities are happening but all slightly subdued and cautious. To me it feels around 75% back to normal here although business appears generally tough and lots of people leaving due to redundancy.
Thanks for sharing.

Anyone know if it's available to non-residents? Even if paid-for?
Old Dec 27th 2020, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Thanks for sharing.

Anyone know if it's available to non-residents? Even if paid-for?
I know someone who has enquired on behalf of an elderly family member non resident in both AD and Dubai and not surprisingly it was a big fat ‘No’ at the moment ..... DHA said it’s possible once they get to the bottom of the list of the rollout.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 6:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I know someone who has enquired on behalf of an elderly family member non resident in both AD and Dubai and not surprisingly it was a big fat ‘No’ at the moment ..... DHA said it’s possible once they get to the bottom of the list of the rollout.
Figured it was so and perfectly reasonable response too.

I'm assuming at the moment you can get it if higher priority? As in, my 32 year old self won't be able to ring up and book?
Old Dec 28th 2020, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Figured it was so and perfectly reasonable response too.

I'm assuming at the moment you can get it if higher priority? As in, my 32 year old self won't be able to ring up and book?
You can have the Sinopharm vaccine, I’m not aware of a priority order on that. SEHA have a facility in Dubai as well as AD (I’m not sure of the process for appointments). DHA it would seem are working through a priority order fir the Phizer vaccine .... health issues (that’s how I get it as I recently had cardiac stents placed) but it does extend to things like asthma, blood pressure and plenty of other conditions. I’m not sure when they move to the next phase but I believe that includes front line workers in both public and private sector.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 4:14 pm
Account Closed

You can have the Sinopharm vaccine, I’m not aware of a priority order on that. SEHA have a facility in Dubai as well as AD (I’m not sure of the process for appointments). DHA it would seem are working through a priority order fir the Phizer vaccine .... health issues (that’s how I get it as I recently had cardiac stents placed) but it does extend to things like asthma, blood pressure and plenty of other conditions. I’m not sure when they move to the next phase but I believe that includes front line workers in both public and private sector.
Found out the same at work today, a lady who's not much older than me has had Sinopharm by just going in and getting it.
Thanks for sharing though. The old man is hoping to visit in January and was asking if he'd be able to pay and get it as he's probably second or maybe 3rd wave to get it and would rather have it than not.
Old Jan 7th 2021, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

carbolic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
read a media report that as of two days ago 8% of the population had been given the first jab of a vaccine.
Not a bad start but not a great one either.
The media report gives the idea that there is ample supply and availability at the various vaccine centres.
Do you think the pace of vaccinatons will pickup?
thanks
Old Jan 8th 2021, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carbolic
Hi
read a media report that as of two days ago 8% of the population had been given the first jab of a vaccine.
Not a bad start but not a great one either.
The media report gives the idea that there is ample supply and availability at the various vaccine centres.
Do you think the pace of vaccinatons will pickup?
thanks
I haven’t got the exact stats but my understanding is that the daily number being vaccinated is increasing... last week they were doing 40k+ per day this week it’s been 60K+ per day. The aim is to have 50% of the population fully vaccinated (2 shots where possible) by the end of March. Friends of mine who are not in any priority group queued for 5 hours at Dubai Parks & Resorts site to have theirs the other day so it’s clearly popular ! The other thing worthy of note is that unlike the UK they don’t seem to be widening the gap between the first and second jab ..... I’ve got my appointment for the second jab exactly 3 weeks after the first.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

carbolic is an unknown quantity at this point

Great to hear it's popular UKMS
Post again after your next shot please
Old Jan 8th 2021, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Its popular among those who commute to AD frequently, and also AD Residents who need to travel as the vaccine removes the need for DPI/PCR testing and the 10 day quarantine
Old Jan 8th 2021, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

I've now tried 3 times to get my first shot and each time walked away because the queue was so long (looked about a 2-4 hour wait). It's not so much the wait (though that's an issue) it's the fact that people are standing cheek to jowl in the queue.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by csdf
I've now tried 3 times to get my first shot and each time walked away because the queue was so long (looked about a 2-4 hour wait). It's not so much the wait (though that's an issue) it's the fact that people are standing cheek to jowl in the queue.
where have you tried ? ..... a friend went to Alittihad Clinic in Dubai earlier today with minimal wait.
Old Jan 9th 2021, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in AD - there's a major push here to get all retail and government workers vaccinated, which means giant queues everywhere. Walk-ins are now effectively impossible unless you are prepared to spend 6 hours waiting in a non-socially-distanced line.
Old Jan 9th 2021, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
I'm in AD - there's a major push here to get all retail and government workers vaccinated, which means giant queues everywhere. Walk-ins are now effectively impossible unless you are prepared to spend 6 hours waiting in a non-socially-distanced line.
But at the end of that you are vaccinated so it wouldn't matter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.