Reload this Page >

Vaccine rollout in the UAE

Vaccine rollout in the UAE

Old Dec 15th 2020, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

carbolic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vaccine rollout in the UAE

Hi
Given that the UAE is the first country to make the Sinopharm vaccine widely available I would love to hear from those on the ground what the local mood is and what evidence of take up there is etc.
Many thanks
Old Dec 15th 2020, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccine rollout in the UAE

From anecdotal observation, I'd say 30% are enthusiastically trying to get it, 20% (military, healthcare) are being forced to get it, 20% are against getting it and the remainder are waiting to see.
Old Dec 15th 2020, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

Thanks csdf. Any word on the raw numbers vaccinated daily if you come across them would be great.
Found some media articles on the vaccine centers and hours of operation. Many were only open for four hours a day which I suppose reflects the delivery logistics etc.
If UAE can get a 60% or more take up and the vaccine is 86% effective as they say the infection rates should tumble.
Good luck and thanks again.
Old Dec 15th 2020, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst its a great initiative by the UAE, personally I have mixed feelings about taking the Sinopharm vaccine and I’m still undecided. Whilst its not mandatory for residents I can see the time coming when it will be mandatory for a new or renewal visa alongside the other health tests. I can also see it being heavily ‘encouraged’ in condensed areas and labour camps.

I think its too early to get any meaningful numbers.

Interesting times though !
Old Dec 16th 2020, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Also, those holding out hope for other vaccines being offered here have another think coming. When was the last time you went for any vaccine and had a choice of options to pick from?
Old Dec 16th 2020, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
Also, those holding out hope for other vaccines being offered here have another think coming. When was the last time you went for any vaccine and had a choice of options to pick from?
with the flu vaccine there was a choice as the vaccines differed slightly from hospital to hospital.
Old Dec 16th 2020, 8:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

From anecdotal observation, I'd say 30% are enthusiastically trying to get it, 20% (military, healthcare) are being forced to get it, 20% are against getting it and the remainder are waiting to see.
Sounds about right.

I'd probably prefer the Oxford vaccine but that's just because the Chinese aren't to be trusted, but that's just my prejudice.

I think the comment that it'll be a decision taken out of our hands soon seems right.
Old Dec 16th 2020, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve had the vaccine, so has my wife and numerous friends.
Old Dec 16th 2020, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by UKMS
with the flu vaccine there was a choice as the vaccines differed slightly from hospital to hospital.
As far as I am aware, this year the only choice was to go to a hospital that was offering the wrong flu vaccine (the southern hemisphere one) or go to a hospital that was offering the right one (the northern hemisphere equivalent).
Old Dec 16th 2020, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I am aware, this year the only choice was to go to a hospital that was offering the wrong flu vaccine (the southern hemisphere one) or go to a hospital that was offering the right one (the northern hemisphere equivalent).
are you saying that isn’t a choice?
Old Dec 16th 2020, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's a choice if you have the nous to check beforehand. Most people only found out after they'd had the wrong jab and looked up the vaccine in Google afterwards.
Old Dec 17th 2020, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Interesting approach not to prioritise the vaccinations to the most vulnerable etc.
Does this mean there are ample stocks available?
Pongo..care to share some more on the vaccine process
Old Dec 17th 2020, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carbolic
Interesting approach not to prioritise the vaccinations to the most vulnerable etc.
Does this mean there are ample stocks available?
Pongo..care to share some more on the vaccine process
Initial consultation with a Doctor, asking about allergies and medical history etc. First injection on the same day, second 3 weeks later. Urine sample for females..

Last edited by Pongo; Dec 17th 2020 at 7:46 am.
Old Dec 17th 2020, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pongo
I’ve had the vaccine, so has my wife and numerous friends.
out of interest where did you get it done ?

assuming the urine sample is simply pregnancy ?

Last edited by UKMS; Dec 17th 2020 at 6:00 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Benny80 is an unknown quantity at this point

I took the Sinopharm vaccine last week at a SEHA centre in Abu Dhabi. Walk in with no appointment required. Approx.1 hour process. Doctor asks regarding allergies and general health questions. I asked if they needed to prioritise high risk people due to limited supply as i am relatively young so not particularly high risk. Doc said no and that vaccine is available to anyone over 18 years of age.
Naturally i would prefer a non Chinese version. My thought process / decision was along the lines of its 1) probably better to have the Vacc rather than not take it and possible catch the real thing without having been vaccinated. 2) Whilst i have been getting out and about a bit in covid times i have been a little cautious. Keen to get back to freely meeting friends / having fun and travelling.

I'm interested to here from others on how they find the mood here in the UAE. Friends i talk to are generally getting on with their lives. Partying, eating out and social social activities are happening but all slightly subdued and cautious. To me it feels around 75% back to normal here although business appears generally tough and lots of people leaving due to redundancy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.