Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Old Jul 26th 2009, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

HELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really nice
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Al Ain is lovely but so is Muscat!! choose the one with the best benefits!
Thanks so much for that. Think I'm just nervous about making the wrong move - the salary in Muscat isn't good but I think that I'm more likely to find more to do and meet more people.

Cheers
Old Jul 26th 2009, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

2Litre is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey folks, I'm a newbie to the middle east crowd! Im moving to Oman for two years to teach on my own, scary times! Really looking forward to it though. If any of you are living in Oman then please PM me! 2Litre
Old Jul 26th 2009, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

HELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really nice

Originally Posted by 2Litre
Hey folks, I'm a newbie to the middle east crowd! Im moving to Oman for two years to teach on my own, scary times! Really looking forward to it though. If any of you are living in Oman then please PM me! 2Litre
Hi there,
I've got to decide by tomorrow if I want to accept a teaching post in Muscat. Which school are you going to? The salary offer I've had is not great but it's an offer - I may not get the job in Al Ain which I'm going to be interviewed for next week - big decisions!! I know what you mean about scary times - I'm wondering if I'll be ok, a woman on her own out there.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 12:00 am
Just Joined

brightonbee is an unknown quantity at this point

Bob - how do I do that?
Old Jul 27th 2009, 12:04 am
Just Joined

I dont know the exact location of my school as yet, finding out tomorrow. My salary seems good, especially as Oman is tax-free and my accommodation is practically free as well. I am a young woman and have done lots of research - it seems to be fine. You can dress as westernised as you like out of the workplace, albeit considering how much attention you want to draw to yourself. The country looks absolutely beautiful, I'm getting really excited now. I just hope I meet some fellow British workers my age. 2Litre
Old Jul 27th 2009, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

I dont know the exact location of my school as yet, finding out tomorrow. My salary seems good, especially as Oman is tax-free and my accommodation is practically free as well. I am a young woman and have done lots of research - it seems to be fine. You can dress as westernised as you like out of the workplace, albeit considering how much attention you want to draw to yourself. The country looks absolutely beautiful, I'm getting really excited now. I just hope I meet some fellow British workers my age. 2Litre
That's great - what a lovely opportunity at your age. I envy you. If you hear of any nice women around my age who I can mix with, do let me know as I think it's going to be tricky at my time of life. Saying that, I do mix very well with all ages and have a daft sense of humour, making friends easily. Good luck. Do let me know which school you go to - mine is United International in Muscat, if I accept!!
Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:41 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest that you don't dress as 'westernised as you like' in Muscat. The Omanis are a lovely, if traditional people, and as a resident you'll do yourself no favours by walking around in, for example. mini-skirts and boob tubes. Dress a little conservatively so as not to offend and you'll be fine.

I think Muscat is a nicer place than Al Ain, which I personally find rather dull. Much more interestng people in Muscat too.

-
Old Jul 27th 2009, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HELEN44
That's great - what a lovely opportunity at your age. I envy you. If you hear of any nice women around my age who I can mix with, do let me know as I think it's going to be tricky at my time of life. Saying that, I do mix very well with all ages and have a daft sense of humour, making friends easily. Good luck. Do let me know which school you go to - mine is United International in Muscat, if I accept!!
Are you a Primary Teacher then? Could you email me and inform me the name of your headteacher as I think we could possibly be ending up at the same school as I was informed they have taken on another British female teacher who is older than me? You never know. Of course I shall let you know more as soon as I hear, it would be great to meet up and offer some support ! 2litre
Old Jul 27th 2009, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Kieran C is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All, I’m Kieran, currently in England but am moving out to Abu Dhabi at the end of August to work for an engineering company. It will be my first time living abroad and am looking forward to the new experience.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Are you a Primary Teacher then? Could you email me and inform me the name of your headteacher as I think we could possibly be ending up at the same school as I was informed they have taken on another British female teacher who is older than me? You never know. Of course I shall let you know more as soon as I hear, it would be great to meet up and offer some support ! 2litre
Hi,
My headtacher is to be Nigel Melen - he sounded extremely pleasant. Wouldn't it be fab if we end up at the same school?
Old Jul 27th 2009, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kieran C
Hi All, I’m Kieran, currently in England but am moving out to Abu Dhabi at the end of August to work for an engineering company. It will be my first time living abroad and am looking forward to the new experience.
Hi Kieran, congratulations on your job. I hope that the company has given you a decent housing allowance for AD - it is expensive here.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Monsoonhunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kieran C,

am also a newby, am about to leave to Dubai soon...

Did post a few things lately, and some very helpful pieces of advice and remarks can be found here...
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=612797

All the best for the move
Monsoonhunter
Old Jul 27th 2009, 10:44 pm
Banned

Silas Jayne is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Old Jul 28th 2009, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HELEN44
Hi,
My headtacher is to be Nigel Melen - he sounded extremely pleasant. Wouldn't it be fab if we end up at the same school?
That is actually hilarious - he is my headteacher aswell. How exciting and strange! I take it you took the job? I am flying over on the 16th/17th August for an orientation week before school starts. Are you staying in a brand new furnished complex of 12 flats/floors by any chance? lol 2Litre
Old Jul 28th 2009, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Kieran C is an unknown quantity at this point

That is actually hilarious - he is my headteacher aswell. How exciting and strange! I take it you took the job? I am flying over on the 16th/17th August for an orientation week before school starts. Are you staying in a brand new furnished complex of 12 flats/floors by any chance? lol 2Litre
Thanks for the welcome,

Monsoonhunter, Thanks for the link, I have also had a look back through the threads on here and found some useful information so hopefully I shouldn’t repeat any questions.

Soukie, I have found sites like dubizzle and my housing allowance seems to be ok. What is the best way to start looking for an apartment when I get there, can you recommend any agents or places that they would be advertised locally?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.