Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Old Jul 28th 2009, 12:41 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Originally Posted by Silas Jayne
Hi
Good post!
Old Jul 28th 2009, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Dubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant future

Hi,

Just saw this after a few posts.....

I live in Dubai (Peoples Republic of Mirdif) and have done for 3 1/2 yrs after a short stint in Kuwait.

No kids...

No wife...

Work as a Geological Engineer for a large British Consultancy

Like snowboarding, camping, Man Utd, diving, off roading, motorbikes...... oh and drinking!
Old Jul 28th 2009, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kieren, Monsoonhunter, Silas, Dibba,

See you all out there!

Kittycat
xxx
Old Jul 28th 2009, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Monsoonhunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kittycat1, Kieren, Silas, Dibba and the other citizens of the People's Republic of Mirdif,

still waiting for the attestation of my university diploma by the UAE embassy in Berlin. Am getting a bit worried now, and could not reach the responsible persons on the phone yet...

Anyway, am looking forward to coming over 'soon' though...

Greetings from Germany
Monsoonhunter

P.S.: Are there any separate special visa required for the People's Republic then???
Old Jul 28th 2009, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kieran C
Soukie, I have found sites like dubizzle and my housing allowance seems to be ok. What is the best way to start looking for an apartment when I get there, can you recommend any agents or places that they would be advertised locally?
It might be best to talk to others at work and see how they got theirs - word of mouth is the best way. Do you know where you will be working yet as this may dictate whether you live on island or off island and bear in mind that off island is usually cheaper. There are plenty of agents in AD but some will try and rip you off by asking for a viewing fee (don't pay it as it's illegal). They will also charge you a fee if you lease a property through them which is anything from 5 -10% of your annual rent and don't forget that most places in AD require 12 months up front payment although I understand that some are now taking a payment for 6 months and a post dated cheque for the remaining 6 months. Other places are supermarket advert boards - eg Spinneys and Abelas.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 2:30 am
Just Joined

Kieran C is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by soukie
It might be best to talk to others at work and see how they got theirs - word of mouth is the best way. Do you know where you will be working yet as this may dictate whether you live on island or off island and bear in mind that off island is usually cheaper. There are plenty of agents in AD but some will try and rip you off by asking for a viewing fee (don't pay it as it's illegal). They will also charge you a fee if you lease a property through them which is anything from 5 -10% of your annual rent and don't forget that most places in AD require 12 months up front payment although I understand that some are now taking a payment for 6 months and a post dated cheque for the remaining 6 months. Other places are supermarket advert boards - eg Spinneys and Abelas.
Thanks for the tips, I will ask around when I get there. I will be working off the island in the ICAD. From when I have been to AD most of the places to go out seem to be at the opposite end of the island, so I guess it is the choice between an easy commute or cheaper cab fares when out for a beer!
Old Jul 29th 2009, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tips, I will ask around when I get there. I will be working off the island in the ICAD. From when I have been to AD most of the places to go out seem to be at the opposite end of the island, so I guess it is the choice between an easy commute or cheaper cab fares when out for a beer!
Hi Kieran.

I work out at ICAD. Its about a 30 min drive from AD, thats if there aren't any accidents. Cab is gonna cost around 30 dhs each way but TBH you will find it hard to get a cab to take you there and an impossibility to get one back.

You will def need a car or an organized driver of some sort.

PM me where in ICAD you will be
Old Jul 29th 2009, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Dubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Monsoonhunter
Are there any separate special visa required for the People's Republic then???
You had better believe it!

There is a strict and complex application process with associated interviews and initiation rituals!

Not just anyone can walk into the PRM.

All stand for the national anthem!
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
Hi Kieran.

I work out at ICAD. Its about a 30 min drive from AD, thats if there aren't any accidents. Cab is gonna cost around 30 dhs each way but TBH you will find it hard to get a cab to take you there and an impossibility to get one back.

You will def need a car or an organized driver of some sort.

PM me where in ICAD you will be
Can't you offer him a lift every day?

No???

How selfish is that??????????
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Kieran, as you are a Twatford fan from St Albans, it might help you if I gave you an insight into what you'll find in Ab Dab............

Firstly, most houses have electricity. They also have toilets inside the house. There is a lot of slave-like exploitation of the expat working-classes, but you'll be used to that (as you are from St Albans).

Good luck.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 1:13 am
Just Joined

Kieran C is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Dean
Kieran, as you are a Twatford fan from St Albans, it might help you if I gave you an insight into what you'll find in Ab Dab............

Firstly, most houses have electricity. They also have toilets inside the house. There is a lot of slave-like exploitation of the expat working-classes, but you'll be used to that (as you are from St Albans).

Good luck.
Really electricity in every home? and inside toilets! What no more fumbling around in the middle of the night to light the candle and go outside in the pooring rain to the shed at the bottom of the garden? Sounds like paradise...

Also, a point to note is we don't like to call them slaves in this part of the world they are servants, the chains and shackles are just to stop them wandering off and getting lost.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubai to Dibba Daily
...Man Utd, diving, off roading, ...
I got distracted as I read that and read it as "Man Utd diving off roads" and thought nutter...
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 4:49 am
Just Joined

Nadine86 has a spectacular aura aboutNadine86 has a spectacular aura aboutNadine86 has a spectacular aura about

Hi I have just moved over from the UK (Kent region) to take up a job offer in Abu Dhabi. I am a 23 years old female and just want to meet some people really.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Abu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nadine86
Hi I have just moved over from the UK (Kent region) to take up a job offer in Abu Dhabi. I am a 23 years old female and just want to meet some people really.
Hi Nadine,

Welcome to Abu Dhabi.

I have been here a couple of months and most people (expats) I have met are really friendly.

I hope you have settled in so far.

A.A.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

Abu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nadine86
I just noticed that Chris has started a small gathering for this Friday. Might give you a chance to meet a few new faces.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=623644

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.