Advice to Newbies

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

ipods is just really niceipods is just really niceipods is just really niceipods is just really niceipods is just really niceipods is just really niceipods is just really niceipods is just really nice
Default Advice to Newbies

There have been several posts recently asking the same questions we asked at the end of last year when we were moving to Dubai, here are a few of our observations. There are also many people more experienced who may correct the notes below but hope this helps.

Generally if you move here part way thro a month you may have to wait until the end of the following month to get paid. ie 6 or 7 weeks. most companies will give allowances or salary advances for rent. Be aware that you will have to pay 5% agents and 5% deposit on top of the rent not always covered by the salary advance. The company may provides temporary accomodation for 4-6weeks but you may still have to use significant of your own finance before your first pay cheque.

When you arrive and sign into the temporary accomodation paid for by your new company (usually serviced apartment) you will have the sign the companies standard terms and conditions. What they don't point out is if your new employer does not pay the bill you will be liable and they will chase you personally for payments, if late or not made.

Tax UK - you have to be out of the UK for a 'Complete' tax year. ie if you move here now anytime before 6th April 2010 you will have to remain out the Uk until 5th April 2011. . you are allowed 90 days in the UK in any one tax year. Make sure you see the Gov web site and complete the necessary forms for leaving the UK

Salary- Difficult one. I think you require 20-25,000 AED/month(total).for a couple, 10k rent and 15k living. Assuming you want to enjoy the lifestyle. Rents are still coming down but you want to live somewhere decent.

Changing employers is not easy. Your contract will usually contain repayment clauses relating to relocation costs if you leave during the first 12 months. Also the employer may put a ban on you getting employment elsewhere if you leave.

Just because you have a contract dont bank on it.

Nothing here is tranparent. If you want to know the truth read the gulf news.The roads are now getting quietier as a result of the improved public transport and conclusion of major roadworks. Honest

Don't get into debt, car loans etc until you are happy the job will work out.

There is no tax, but they will get money out of you at every turn

There is a lot of hastle to get anything done. Accept it, and dont expect anything to be done quickly.

Weather. Yes it is getting very hot about 35 degrees in the fridge and summer has not yet started. Mid 40's most days and humidity starting to rise.

Can a wife sponser a husband. Depends. Yes if she has a certain type of employment, or she earns more than I think 8k per month. Like a lot of things here it really depends on the day of the week, and whose asking. If you have a good company PRO you have a chance.

Hope the above assists and if you get the chance and can put up with the B******s come. Its a great place
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:04 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice to Newbies

Originally Posted by ipods
There have been several posts recently asking the same questions we asked at the end of last year when we were moving to Dubai, here are a few of our observations. There are also many people more experienced who may correct the notes below but hope this helps.

Generally if you move here part way thro a month you may have to wait until the end of the following month to get paid. ie 6 or 7 weeks. most companies will give allowances or salary advances for rent. Be aware that you will have to pay 5% agents and 5% deposit on top of the rent not always covered by the salary advance. The company may provides temporary accomodation for 4-6weeks but you may still have to use significant of your own finance before your first pay cheque.

When you arrive and sign into the temporary accomodation paid for by your new company (usually serviced apartment) you will have the sign the companies standard terms and conditions. What they don't point out is if your new employer does not pay the bill you will be liable and they will chase you personally for payments, if late or not made.

Tax UK - you have to be out of the UK for a 'Complete' tax year. ie if you move here now anytime before 6th April 2010 you will have to remain out the Uk until 5th April 2011. . you are allowed 90 days in the UK in any one tax year. Make sure you see the Gov web site and complete the necessary forms for leaving the UK

Salary- Difficult one. I think you require 20-25,000 AED/month(total).for a couple, 10k rent and 15k living. Assuming you want to enjoy the lifestyle. Rents are still coming down but you want to live somewhere decent.

Changing employers is not easy. Your contract will usually contain repayment clauses relating to relocation costs if you leave during the first 12 months. Also the employer may put a ban on you getting employment elsewhere if you leave.

Just because you have a contract dont bank on it.

Nothing here is tranparent. If you want to know the truth read the gulf news.The roads are now getting quietier as a result of the improved public transport and conclusion of major roadworks. Honest

Don't get into debt, car loans etc until you are happy the job will work out.

There is no tax, but they will get money out of you at every turn

There is a lot of hastle to get anything done. Accept it, and dont expect anything to be done quickly.

Weather. Yes it is getting very hot about 35 degrees in the fridge and summer has not yet started. Mid 40's most days and humidity starting to rise.

Can a wife sponser a husband. Depends. Yes if she has a certain type of employment, or she earns more than I think 8k per month. Like a lot of things here it really depends on the day of the week, and whose asking. If you have a good company PRO you have a chance.

Hope the above assists and if you get the chance and can put up with the B******s come. Its a great place
good stuff that, all very true.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:08 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
good stuff that, all very true.
At the end of the day, it depends on what your package is and your reasons for coming to Dubai...

If Piers has sold you on the 'Streets Paved With Gold' idea, I'd suggest you just give me your lifesavings and save yourself the airfare and the humiliation....
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Monsoonhunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

am a not-yet newby... Yes, very helpful stuff, thanks for the summary!!!

Am about to leave to Dubai soon, am quite happy with my package, but will try to avoid unecessary expenses during the first few months (and still doing some shopping in Germany where I know where I go for economic shopping)...

Cheers
Monsoonhunter
Old Jul 24th 2009, 6:53 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monsoonhunter
Hi,

am a not-yet newby... Yes, very helpful stuff, thanks for the summary!!!

Am about to leave to Dubai soon, am quite happy with my package, but will try to avoid unecessary expenses during the first few months (and still doing some shopping in Germany where I know where I go for economic shopping)...

Cheers
Monsoonhunter
One of the main issues is that many of the big setting-up expenses are necessary. A hire car needs a deposit, accommodation needs 5% agent's fees, 5% DEWA, 5% deposit on accom, kitting out, often white goods too, etc...

Basically, have a contingency of about £5-10k GBP in your bank account before coming out. If you can't afford to splash that kind of cash (on the assumption that you'll get it back... assumption being the operative word!), then really, you can't afford to move.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Kitty,

luckily, I think I can move then, and a few of the mentioned setting-up costs are paid by my employer (agent's fees)....

When you talk about '5%', this refers to the annual rent?

Will also try to find accomodation where a kitchen and hopefully the equipment are already installed, I saw also a few flats and villas with built-in cabinets. My accomodation allowance is 'up to 100.000', so being a bachelor, I should find something nice... (But after putting all the facts together, would like to get some comments on accomodation in another thread)...

Have a nice week-end
Monsoonhunter
Old Jul 24th 2009, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=TGFKASE;7632164]At the end of the day, it depends on what your package is and your reasons for coming to Dubai...

Think the original poster also highlights what a rip-off Dxb has become over the years.

When I arrived in '85 my employer advanced me 20K I believe, and rented a 3 bed villa in Old Quarry Park, behind what was the Hilton Hotel for 35K, villa had no electricity or water meters so nothing doing there! Water meter was fitted about 10 years later. I stayed there 18 years! Agents fees were unheard of then, plus rental direct from the owning Sheikh.

I bought an old Honda Accord for 2,500 which got me through my set up period.

Child too young for school.

Was immediately able to join Country Club where I think the fees were something like 4k joining fee and 2.5 p.a.

Ah, those were great days!
Old Jul 24th 2009, 7:47 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Jim Smith;7779889]
Originally Posted by TGFKASE
At the end of the day, it depends on what your package is and your reasons for coming to Dubai...

Think the original poster also highlights what a rip-off Dxb has become over the years.

When I arrived in '85 my employer advanced me 20K I believe, and rented a 3 bed villa in Old Quarry Park, behind what was the Hilton Hotel for 35K, villa had no electricity or water meters so nothing doing there! Water meter was fitted about 10 years later. I stayed there 18 years! Agents fees were unheard of then, plus rental direct from the owning Sheikh.

I bought an old Honda Accord for 2,500 which got me through my set up period.

Child too young for school.

Was immediately able to join Country Club where I think the fees were something like 4k joining fee and 2.5 p.a.

Ah, those were great days!
they sure were!! ten years ago we had a huge villa in Jumeirah, 4 beds on a little compound of 6 with a lovely swimming pool, 85k
Old Jul 24th 2009, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Mastro100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great thread. Thanks for that.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 12:35 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

When you talk about '5%', this refers to the annual rent?
yes, a nice touch, hey? It's therefore in everyone's interests (apart from the tenants, but who cares about them, the mugs?!) to keep rents as high as poss.

Try and get as much out of your employer as possible, of course, but remember that the "accomm allowance" is really just on paper - in reality it's just another part of your salary. The only way to be completely hassle-free in terms of accomm is for your employer to sort it out entirely for you.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again, Kitty,

fear it is not possible that my employer will provide accomodation, which of course would be the optimal solution for me...

Instead, will try no to use the accomodation allowance to its limit both to reduce risks in case anything happens to my contract and to limit those deposits. Furthermore, as I learnt from another thread, I will not sign a tenancy agreement without a break lease claus. Hope this is not only whishful thinking, as the accomodation market should be favourable for potential tenants (at least favourable for Dubai standards... )

Cheers
Monsoonhunter
Old Jul 25th 2009, 4:55 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Try to save as much of your housing allowance as possible. I only spend 2/3rds of my housing and bank the rest.

If you have 100K to play around with and are single, then rent a 1-bed for 65k. Al Barsha has plenty of rather nice one-bed apartments and it's a great location, handy for both the Marina, Sheikh Zayed and the rest of Dubai. Sure, the Marina is fun, but if you're only here for a few years, would you rather go back to Germany with a big wad of cash.

Thanks again, Kitty,

fear it is not possible that my employer will provide accomodation, which of course would be the optimal solution for me...

Instead, will try no to use the accomodation allowance to its limit both to reduce risks in case anything happens to my contract and to limit those deposits. Furthermore, as I learnt from another thread, I will not sign a tenancy agreement without a break lease claus. Hope this is not only whishful thinking, as the accomodation market should be favourable for potential tenants (at least favourable for Dubai standards... )

Cheers
Monsoonhunter
Old Jul 25th 2009, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Ethos,

that was my initial thought as well, saving a good part of the housing allowance. However, as I understand my contract, they pay it 'up to 100.000 AED'. In my understanding, they pay the exact amount of rent (up to this limit), and the company, and not me, is saving the money in case I don't use the full accomodation allowance...

If this turns out to be the case, I will still not go to this limit (also to keep deposits manageable, and in case something happens it would be better not having to pay too much rent). But I will try to realize savings by getting a flat with a row of amenities (e. g. kitchen equipment, built-in cabinets, a good access to the road network potentially avoiding SALIK, hopefully access to a gym, variety of shopping opportunities nearby...) included in the rent, so I don't have to spent money on that from my own pocket.

Anyway, will soon start a thread about where to look for accomodation. My favourite area based on internet research (and some of the statments at BE ) would be Mirdif, as I will have to work in varying locations in Sharjah, but sometimes (esp. in the first few weeks or months) will need to go to the HQ at Knowledge City... Another plus for me regarding Mirdif is the proximity of something green (Musrif Park sounds quite ok) and as a runner I was amazed to find out there is a running club, the Mirdif Milers

It is really good I can make some thoughts about all this before entering Dubai. Thanks a lot for helping me!!!

Greetings from Germany
Monsoonhunter
Old Jul 26th 2009, 7:35 am
Just Joined

fourfoot is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
My other half is currently involved in the interview process which may bring us to Dubai. His interviewer has asked him what renumeration he is looking for and we have no idea as to the cost of living out there. He is currently on £30k and I am on £23k and would have to seek employment if we relocated. Where should he be pitching himself salarywise?
We have no kids, but we do have a dog who would be coming with us, so we would need a place with a secure garden.
Any advice gratefully accepted!

Fourfoot
Old Jul 26th 2009, 7:39 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fourfoot
Hi all,
My other half is currently involved in the interview process which may bring us to Dubai. His interviewer has asked him what renumeration he is looking for and we have no idea as to the cost of living out there. He is currently on £30k and I am on £23k and would have to seek employment if we relocated. Where should he be pitching himself salarywise?
We have no kids, but we do have a dog who would be coming with us, so we would need a place with a secure garden.
Any advice gratefully accepted!

Fourfoot
what line of work is he in and how much experience does he have? A two bedroom villa on the Springs will be about 120,000 dhs a year to rent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.