Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Man beaten for talking to Saudi employers wife?

Man beaten for talking to Saudi employers wife?

Old Oct 30th 2013, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Man beaten for talking to Saudi employers wife?

Originally Posted by Alexa
I do that with Indians, usually. ( a head wiggle and a shukriya gives you huge smiles and a wiggle in return. Seriously!) But I think any nationality appreciates people being friendly in their language...even if it is the only words you
know.
Same here. I can direct taxi drivers all the way home in Hindi now. It always totally freaks them out, especially when it's me and the Mrs (Brindian) who is speaking to them in a broad British accent.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 1:56 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

See, the thing is, EVERYBODY CAN do something. You can give those who help you, drivers, attendants, gardeners etc. a good tip. You can just give them a 50 ..because you can. You can treat them with dignity, like human beings, no matter who they are, should be treated. It's an everyday thing. Many people do this.
So very true. It really isn't hard to be nice to people, to treat them with respect and tip people on low wages. If everyone did these things this part of the world would be nicer for everyone.

Last edited by Meow; Oct 30th 2013 at 2:04 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I know of someone that offered to help two particularly arrogant obnoxious Saudi's when they jumped off the plane in Heathrow. He politely offered to take their passports to his friend who would let them pass through immigration without having to queue with the plebs...........10 minutes later they were in the bin somewhere between immigration and baggage collection.
oh my days!!! brilliant
Old Oct 30th 2013, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Yup same same! The only problem being if the person isn't from where you think. I said xiexie to a lady the other day and she said "I'm not Chinese" Oooooppppsss my bad!

lol...I know how she feels...people speak to me in all kinds of languages...just not in mine!
Old Oct 30th 2013, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Myusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really nice

It really isn't hard to be nice to people, to treat them with respect and tip people on low wages.
How often do they get to keep the tips? Obviously you could ask but would they dare to say that they won't get to keep the tips should that be the truth? Are the stories about what happened to tips given to refuelers (sorry, is that a profession?) at one petrol station chain the exception?

The sad thing is that if it becomes too common that people tip salaries could become even lower. Look at the states where you are expected to give tip even if the food and service was... not so good because employers expect the employees to live on tips received.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 2:47 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Myusernamewastaken
How often do they get to keep the tips? Obviously you could ask but would they dare to say that they won't get to keep the tips should that be the truth? Are the stories about what happened to tips given to refuelers (sorry, is that a profession?) at one petrol station chain the exeption?

The sad thing is that if it becomes too common that people tip salaries could become even lower. Look at the states where you are expected to give tip even if the food and service was... not so good because employers expect the employees to live on tips received.

Most employees get to keep their tips and if in doubt just ask them.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Myusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really nice

Most employees get to keep their tips and if in doubt just ask them.
Good, but as mentioned, would someone dare to answer "no" to such a question even if it was the truth?
Old Oct 30th 2013, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Good, but as mentioned, would someone dare to answer "no" to such a question even if it was the truth?
I usually give a tip in a way so nobody else can see it.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 3:11 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

See, the thing is, EVERYBODY CAN do something. You can give those who help you, drivers, attendants, gardeners etc. a good tip. You can just give them a 50 ..because you can. You can treat them with dignity, like human beings, no matter who they are, should be treated. It's an everyday thing. Many people do this.
I always give 50 to the toilet attendants in bars/restaurants. They quite literally in my eyes have the shittest job.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 3:19 pm
Bored liberal

Of course. Just be discrete.

Doubting that everyone gets to keep all of it isn't an excuse never to tip...
Old Oct 30th 2013, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I always give 50 to the toilet attendants in bars/restaurants. They quite literally in my eyes have the shittest job.
I think toilet maintenance guys should be armed with a Steam pressure washer. Either that or make the whole cleaning procedure automated with nozzles in the walls that eject high pressure steam all over to clean every inch of the toilet; if the equipment comes online accidentally when people are in the toilet, well that's just unfortunate collateral damage
Old Oct 30th 2013, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Doubting that everyone gets to keep all of it isn't an excuse never to tip...
Never said that. I don't like however if I pay x amount to for example a taxi driver and they don't even start looking at giving me a change expecting me to say keep the change. This was outside the ME though, but when someone overfilled my motorcycle with petrol I wasn't too keen on giving tips. But I'm not as cheap as my previous posts might suggest.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me...must watch the opening bit of Reservoir Dogs again
Old Oct 30th 2013, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

[..]make the whole cleaning procedure automated with nozzles in the walls that eject high pressure steam all over to clean every inch of the toilet; if the equipment comes online accidentally when people are in the toilet, well that's just unfortunate collateral damage
Formule 1 hotels usually have that. The "comes online accidentally" should be reserved for those arrogant people previously mentioned on this thread.

If the "toilet maintenance staff" are treated with respect it might still be a better job than doing cleaning where serious violent crimes have been committed.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Reminds me...must watch the opening bit of Reservoir Dogs again
Enjoy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.