Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Man beaten for talking to Saudi employers wife?

Man beaten for talking to Saudi employers wife?

Old Oct 30th 2013, 11:32 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Man beaten for talking to Saudi employers wife?

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Old Oct 30th 2013, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
I am working with (their charity side), and supporting, this company FSI Worldwide, they are slowly undermining the unethical recruiting agencies and are doing amazing work to try and end that dreadful practice where the agencies make the workers pay to get the job... that results in the workers being 'bonded' to the agency and the knock on effect to their families are terrible.
FSI also has a charity called Freedom Matters which builds schools and helps trafficked children.
If anybody is interested this is the link to FSI
http://www.fsi-worldwide.com/index.p...y#.UnDK4lM2OsE

and this is the charity.
http://www.freedommatters.org.uk/
It is nice to see there are people like you around
Old Oct 30th 2013, 11:39 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
..........BUT fundamentally, I've accepted over the last 2.5 years I've been here (that's mental by the way), that this isn't going to change, we are not able to influence it and let's face it, 99.9% of people are inherently too selfish to influence it for a fear of reprieve and punishment, but also sheer laziness and turning a blind eye.

BTW - The fear of reprimand is true, a guy uploaded a video of a local beating a delivery driver after they had a bump. Proper beating, people generally stood around doing **** all, one guy stayed in his car, filmed it and posted to the Police and youtube. Not sure what happened in the end but there were calls for his arrest and the po-po said they wanted to punish him as the guy filmed demanded they press charges etc.

It's a shitty situation.
Thanks for the insight mate I really appreciate it

I've done some jobs in my time for money (HATED the jobs) but I'm not sure I could do this. I take my hat off to you. I reckon I would be deported for rebelling as I know I couldn't turn a blind eye and clearly like you say, you can't rebel against a whole culture.

Working in an oppressive workplace is bad enough but then witnessing it in every day life would kill me

Originally Posted by Ethos83
..... When we arrived in Heathrow and queued to get off the plane the family was quite slow (as would one expect) and with their massive luggage was taking up the entire width of the walkway to the terminal so I got fed up and tapped the fat cow of a mother sharply on her shoulders then elbowed her even sharper as I passed her and said 'bugger off you silly ****, you're slowing down everyone' and stormed off.

Lots of loud exclamations emanated from her but thank god for good ol' UK soil.

Very rude, I know. Before you jump to conclusions I'm normally never like that but there was something about that family that made you want to take them down a peg or two. This isn't to imply that all Gulf families are like that but the sheer arrogance of some of them is simply mind boggling.
I can imagine pent up feelings emerge due to being so frustrated and then to see this same behaviour on the plane would set those same feelings off. The more I read the more I see how hard it is to live with this day in, day out. Problem is it sounds like no amount of pointing it out will change anything, they are set in the culture of us/them

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
........I am working with (their charity side), and supporting, this company FSI Worldwide, they are slowly undermining the unethical recruiting agencies and are doing amazing work to try and end that dreadful practice where the agencies make the workers pay to get the job... that results in the workers being 'bonded' to the agency and the knock on effect to their families are terrible.http://www.freedommatters.org.uk/
It is slave labour - seems incredible in this day and age it still exists

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I know of someone that offered to help two particularly arrogant obnoxious Saudi's when they jumped off the plane in Heathrow. He politely offered to take their passports to his friend who would let them pass through immigration without having to queue with the plebs...........10 minutes later they were in the bin somewhere between immigration and baggage collection.
nice one

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Years ago I was on a flight to Heathrow, a female Emirati was giving me filthy looks in the departure lounge and muttering under her breath etc. She changed out of her garb into Western gear as soon as the flight took off. When we were in baggage re-claim I approached her and questioned her about why was staring at me etc etc. I pointed out that she was now in my country and that I would stare at her and make her feel out of place and if she didn't like it she could call security. Needless to say she apologised.
Good onya
Old Oct 30th 2013, 11:47 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Honi soit qui mal y pense
Translated I believe this means: Quote
"A scoundrel, who thinks badly by it" or "Shame on him who suspects illicit motivation," followed by, "Those who laugh at this today, tomorrow will be proud to wear it."

Other translations include: "Spurned be the one who evil thinks", "Shame be to him who thinks ill of it," and "Evil on him who thinks evil."

End of Quote

Does this mean you think this behaviour is acceptable?

Or has it been translated incorrectly?
Old Oct 30th 2013, 11:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Thanks for the insight mate I really appreciate it
That's just my take on things, many people are different.

Personally, I just get on with it. I'm not paid mega bucks, I do nicely and have a nice standard of living but I'm not too far removed from reality like some people who live here.

It's a decent city with the wonderful exterior portrayed internationally, as many have said, once you scratch the surface you see it for the cheaply made, hypocritical shitpit it can be. I just choose to not scratch the surface too much, completely selfishly.

Some are better at ignoring the inequality, some aren't, some profess to help but don't do things, some do (Patsy for example).

I'm actually quite ashamed of myself now, in the UK I donated to charity every month and changed it every year to someone new and tried to do different things to raise cash, normally once a year. Out here I do **** all.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 12:00 pm

That's just my take on things, many people are different.

Personally, I just get on with it. I'm not paid mega bucks, I do nicely and have a nice standard of living but I'm not too far removed from reality like some people who live here.

It's a decent city with the wonderful exterior portrayed internationally, as many have said, once you scratch the surface you see it for the cheaply made, hypocritical shitpit it can be. I just choose to not scratch the surface too much, completely selfishly.

Some are better at ignoring the inequality, some aren't, some profess to help but don't do things, some do (Patsy for example).

I'm actually quite ashamed of myself now, in the UK I donated to charity every month and changed it every year to someone new and tried to do different things to raise cash, normally once a year. Out here I do **** all.
At least you're honest about it. Good onya

Maybe speak with Patsy
Old Oct 30th 2013, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

See, the thing is, EVERYBODY CAN do something. You can give those who help you, drivers, attendants, gardeners etc. a good tip. You can just give them a 50 ..because you can. You can treat them with dignity, like human beings, no matter who they are, should be treated. It's an everyday thing. Many people do this.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa
See, the thing is, EVERYBODY CAN do something. You can give those who help you, drivers, attendants, gardeners etc. a good tip. You can just give them a 50 ..because you can. You can treat them with dignity, like human beings, no matter who they are, should be treated. It's an everyday thing. Many people do this.
Good idea - maybe set a daily amount and set a goal to give this daily amount to the people who deserve it
Old Oct 30th 2013, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Oh, hell, I do that...it just doesn't seem much.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Good idea - maybe set a daily amount and set a goal to give this daily amount to the people who deserve it
Well, for me not quite...I mean who am I to determine who deserves what...I just try to be spontaneous and give.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh, hell, I do that...it just doesn't seem much.
Not much to you maybe...but maybe a lot to those who receive...even a smile can be a lot
Old Oct 30th 2013, 1:28 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

It all boils down to how you were brought up as a kid imho
If your parents made sure you were courteous and nice to everyone around you no matter who they were then you will be a kind hearted soul,
If your parents beat up the maid in front of you, your gonna grow up to be a wanker and will most definitely have snotty little wankers running around you when your old enough
Old Oct 30th 2013, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Not much to you maybe...but maybe a lot to those who receive...even a smile can be a lot
Yes you're absolutely correct, I always try to do this and one thing I've found, especially with Philippine staff (lots are shop assistants) if you say thank you in Tagalog you generally get a HUGE smile in return, they can't believe a Westerner has bothered to learn to say salamat.

Walang anuman kabayan!
Old Oct 30th 2013, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikewot
Yes you're absolutely correct, I always try to do this and one thing I've found, especially with Philippine staff (lots are shop assistants) if you say thank you in Tagalog you generally get a HUGE smile in return, they can't believe a Westerner has bothered to learn to say salamat.

Walang anuman kabayan!
I do that with Indians, usually. ( a head wiggle and a shukriya gives you huge smiles and a wiggle in return. Seriously!) But I think any nationality appreciates people being friendly in their language...even if it is the only words you
know.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

I do that with Indians, usually. ( a head wiggle and a shukriya gives you huge smiles and a wiggle in return. Seriously!) But I think any nationality appreciates people being friendly in their language...even if it is the only words you know.
Yup same same! The only problem being if the person isn't from where you think. I said xiexie to a lady the other day and she said "I'm not Chinese" Oooooppppsss my bad!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.