Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Man beaten for talking to Saudi employers wife?

Man beaten for talking to Saudi employers wife?

Old Oct 30th 2013, 6:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Man beaten for talking to Saudi employers wife?

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
hell - what a shithouse place. Human rights don't exist but oil and money talks hey
Amen.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 6:48 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Amen.
what would you do if you saw this kind of crap happening?

Surely you guys can't work for people who behave this way
Old Oct 30th 2013, 7:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
what would you do if you saw this kind of crap happening?

Surely you guys can't work for people who behave this way
Working in the Middle East, even the likes of Dubai, requires you to sell your soul and accept, to an extent determined by you, that where you live and work are buildings built by what can only be described as slave labour. Your lunch is made/delivered by people earning less in a month than you can spend on a round of drinks and that nothing you do will be able to bring any fundamental change to the standard of living and pay that people from the sub-continent get.

Now, I know that there are plenty of folks on here who have and do work with charities to try and help and who do treat everyone with respect, dish out tips to the petrol station guy etc etc.

BUT fundamentally, I've accepted over the last 2.5 years I've been here (that's mental by the way), that this isn't going to change, we are not able to influence it and let's face it, 99.9% of people are inherently too selfish to influence it for a fear of reprieve and punishment, but also sheer laziness and turning a blind eye.

BTW - The fear of reprimand is true, a guy uploaded a video of a local beating a delivery driver after they had a bump. Proper beating, people generally stood around doing **** all, one guy stayed in his car, filmed it and posted to the Police and youtube. Not sure what happened in the end but there were calls for his arrest and the po-po said they wanted to punish him as the guy filmed demanded they press charges etc.

It's a shitty situation.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 7:57 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I flew back from a work trip to Doha not long ago. Business class (how kind of the company). A fat Qatari family sat in the row in front of me and during the fight the mother (fully covered down to a single slit across her eyes) must have called for the maid at least half a dozen times and lots of sharp orderings sounded from her row and the kids were spoiled brats who couldn't sit still and kept calling for the stewardesses.

When we arrived in Heathrow and queued to get off the plane the family was quite slow (as would one expect) and with their massive luggage was taking up the entire width of the walkway to the terminal so I got fed up and tapped the fat cow of a mother sharply on her shoulders then elbowed her even sharper as I passed her and said 'bugger off you silly ****, you're slowing down everyone' and stormed off.

Lots of loud exclamations emanated from her but thank god for good ol' UK soil.

Very rude, I know. Before you jump to conclusions I'm normally never like that but there was something about that family that made you want to take them down a peg or two. This isn't to imply that all Gulf families are like that but the sheer arrogance of some of them is simply mind boggling.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 8:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I flew back from a work trip to Doha not long ago. Business class (how kind of the company). A fat Qatari family sat in the row in front of me and during the fight the mother (fully covered down to a single slit across her eyes) must have called for the maid at least half a dozen times and lots of sharp orderings sounded from her row and the kids were spoiled brats who couldn't sit still and kept calling for the stewardesses.

When we arrived in Heathrow and queued to get off the plane the family was quite slow (as would one expect) and with their massive luggage was taking up the entire width of the walkway to the terminal so I got fed up and tapped the fat cow of a mother sharply on her shoulders then elbowed her even sharper as I passed her and said 'bugger off you silly ****, you're slowing down everyone' and stormed off.

Lots of loud exclamations emanated from her but thank god for good ol' UK soil.

Very rude, I know. Before you jump to conclusions I'm normally never like that but there was something about that family that made you want to take them down a peg or two. This isn't to imply that all Gulf families are like that but the sheer arrogance of some of them is simply mind boggling.
Yeeeaaah! 1-0 to us!

I'm with you on that, nothing like being nice and polite and subservient but getting your own back when you're on top.

Well played pal.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Working in the Middle East, even the likes of Dubai, requires you to sell your soul and accept, to an extent determined by you, that where you live and work are buildings built by what can only be described as slave labour. Your lunch is made/delivered by people earning less in a month than you can spend on a round of drinks and that nothing you do will be able to bring any fundamental change to the standard of living and pay that people from the sub-continent get.

Now, I know that there are plenty of folks on here who have and do work with charities to try and help and who do treat everyone with respect, dish out tips to the petrol station guy etc etc.

BUT fundamentally, I've accepted over the last 2.5 years I've been here (that's mental by the way), that this isn't going to change, we are not able to influence it and let's face it, 99.9% of people are inherently too selfish to influence it for a fear of reprieve and punishment, but also sheer laziness and turning a blind eye.

BTW - The fear of reprimand is true, a guy uploaded a video of a local beating a delivery driver after they had a bump. Proper beating, people generally stood around doing **** all, one guy stayed in his car, filmed it and posted to the Police and youtube. Not sure what happened in the end but there were calls for his arrest and the po-po said they wanted to punish him as the guy filmed demanded they press charges etc.

It's a shitty situation.
I am working with (their charity side), and supporting, this company FSI Worldwide, they are slowly undermining the unethical recruiting agencies and are doing amazing work to try and end that dreadful practice where the agencies make the workers pay to get the job... that results in the workers being 'bonded' to the agency and the knock on effect to their families are terrible.
FSI also has a charity called Freedom Matters which builds schools and helps trafficked children.
If anybody is interested this is the link to FSI
http://www.fsi-worldwide.com/index.p...y#.UnDK4lM2OsE

and this is the charity.
http://www.freedommatters.org.uk/
Old Oct 30th 2013, 9:17 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I know of someone that offered to help two particularly arrogant obnoxious Saudi's when they jumped off the plane in Heathrow. He politely offered to take their passports to his friend who would let them pass through immigration without having to queue with the plebs...........10 minutes later they were in the bin somewhere between immigration and baggage collection.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 9:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I know of someone that offered to help two particularly arrogant obnoxious Saudi's when they jumped off the plane in Heathrow. He politely offered to take their passports to his friend who would let them pass through immigration without having to queue with the plebs...........10 minutes later they were in the bin somewhere between immigration and baggage collection.
That's so ballsy it's brilliant.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 9:24 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

That's so ballsy it's brilliant.
I do often ponder what happened to them though. I wonder how they liked it not having access to their passports and talking to someone who doesn't give a shit who they, their father or their uncles are.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 9:26 am
Account Closed

I do often ponder what happened to them though. I wonder how they liked it not having access to their passports and talking to someone who doesn't give a shit who they, their father or their uncles are.
Yeah. In basic principle I feel sorry for them, the punishment must outweigh being arrogant, ignorant and rude.

BUT still, it's nice seeing all their cars getting towed and shit like that, because it's how the sensible world works, you can't buy / blag your way out
Old Oct 30th 2013, 9:28 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago I was on a flight to Heathrow, a female Emirati was giving me filthy looks in the departure lounge and muttering under her breath etc. She changed out of her garb into Western gear as soon as the flight took off. When we were in baggage re-claim I approached her and questioned her about why was staring at me etc etc. I pointed out that she was now in my country and that I would stare at her and make her feel out of place and if she didn't like it she could call security. Needless to say she apologised.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha ha ha! Awesome!
Old Oct 30th 2013, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely...tempting...very, very tempting.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
Lovely...tempting...very, very tempting.
Oh, isn't it just! There's a multitude of urban legends about this kind of thing, but there's always a part of me which thinks ' Oh I wish it was true!'
Old Oct 30th 2013, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Oh, isn't it just! There's a multitude of urban legends about this kind of thing, but there's always a part of me which thinks ' Oh I wish it was true!'
Not only that..I'd LOVE to see it !
I am actively trying to figure out the logistics of doing such a thing...something in the planning for my exit flight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.