Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What is the appropriate time frame for a countdown?

What is the appropriate time frame for a countdown?

Old Jan 28th 2010, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the appropriate time frame for a countdown?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Small world - family live just outside Bristol now, I was born near Glastonbury, and my Mum has spent most of her life in Frome - grew up there, and moved back there for several years when we all left home.
Ah, I'm planning a Glastonbury trip next month - got friends in Burtle on the levels. We lived in Kingsdown Bristol before moving here (right under the shadow of the hospital chimney!)
Old Jan 28th 2010, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Ah, I'm planning a Glastonbury trip next month - got friends in Burtle on the levels. We lived in Kingsdown Bristol before moving here (right under the shadow of the hospital chimney!)
Can't think where Burtle is but I know the name. There are a few villages out near Boltonsborough that I'm not too familiar with. I spent a lot of my yoof in Bristol, we used to to The Granary and Roxy's nightclubs.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Can't think where Burtle is but I know the name. There are a few villages out near Boltonsborough that I'm not too familiar with. I spent a lot of my yoof in Bristol, we used to to The Granary and Roxy's nightclubs.
Burtle next to Catcombe. Not that far from Glastonbury (westish I think, I have no idea, I just drive!)
Old Jan 28th 2010, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Oh dear, sorry, just my mind going a zillion miles an hour.

Triboy has 16 (now 15) more get ups before he leaves Aus. I have 18 (well 17 now as I have just got up today!) before I leave - but just for a holiday unfortunately.

Usually I set my pda (Palm diary thingie) to count down the days for me so that when I look at the calendar every day I know how many more get ups I have before I can get on the plane and leave for my sanity hit. My palm will count down from 99 days (because it is a useful little gadget). For times longer than the 99 days, I actually go with the "haircut" and "haircut and colour" schedule as well!!!
Thats a nice way to counting down for a holiday...I am not going to start a syste though...as I feel I have so little time to sort out this ever growing list of things to do before our return home...even the thought of it sends me into a panick......okay have to go..start on the neverending list....gulp.....
Old Jan 28th 2010, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Thats a nice way to counting down for a holiday...I am not going to start a syste though...as I feel I have so little time to sort out this ever growing list of things to do before our return home...even the thought of it sends me into a panick......okay have to go..start on the neverending list....gulp.....
Our move is about as simple as they come, no house waiting to sale, no kids, somewhere to go upon arrival and it's still been very time consuming and I'm trying to keep my training on schedule as I have 3 big races in the UK in May, June and Aug.

I think we're pretty much done now though and just waiting to finish work and wait for the container guys to come. Clean the flat then take off on Feb 12th.

One tip (if you don't already) change all your utility billing to 'paperless' that way you get no hassles with forwarding addresses or outstanding amounts.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Our move is about as simple as they come, no house waiting to sale, no kids, somewhere to go upon arrival and it's still been very time consuming and I'm trying to keep my training on schedule as I have 3 big races in the UK in May, June and Aug.

I think we're pretty much done now though and just waiting to finish work and wait for the container guys to come. Clean the flat then take off on Feb 12th.

One tip (if you don't already) change all your utility billing to 'paperless' that way you get no hassles with forwarding addresses or outstanding amounts.
Swop you..lol....Paperless?....now I do sound dim...lol...we sold our home last year and just informed all services of our new address.....how are you paying for your last services bills before you leave...I was told we would be sent bills after our last readings on services on our last day in our rental so we were planning to stay for a week in a hotel while that was tied up etc...not wanting to do that but then the rental company said they would inspect the rental after we handed over the keys and then hand over our deposit bond (which is quiet a large amount of money)....we are keeping our Aus bank account open for the time being so the money can be deposited in/out etc for services and the bond...BUT I did know someone who left for the U.K a day after their rental was ended etc but then after being back in the U.K for a week or so realised that the deposit bond had been deposited into their bank account but the amount was much,much less......after a lot of phone calls and a lot more weeks the correct money was depsoited in their account (the hiccup was to do with flyscreens...all were broken when they had moved in but the new rental company which had taken over had not noticed this on the first inspection report) knowing our luck and maybe being charged way to high for services which seems to happen to us in this rental and after phone calls to services I am usually correct and have been overcharged...how are you going to deal with your services if you don't mind me asking...

You sound fine and calm.....whats your secret..lol....good luck and hope everything works out for you and your partner....
Old Jan 28th 2010, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Swop you..lol....Paperless?....now I do sound dim...lol...we sold our home last year and just informed all services of our new address.....how are you paying for your last services bills before you leave...
You can contact your service (or go online and set it up) that you don't wish to receive any paper bills at all. I have it for every one of my utilty services also have it for bank accounts and credit card bills. They'll work in one of two ways. They'll either send you an email to a nominated address that will alert you that have a statement due, then you log into to the provider's site and into your own account and you can view the bill and either print it our have it open then pay via B-Pay from your Oz bank acct.

Or, some providers don't do the email thing, but you can set up paperless billing use their website. What happens then is that you get a bill via your internet bank account messages called 'Bill Pay View'. And then of course you can do the same thing re payment. This is not quite so convenient as you need to know roughly when the bill is due and keep an eye on the messages in your bank account profile. I only have one provider that does this and that is Energy Australia.

So using these methods I can pay all my final bills via B-Pay using my Oz bank acct from anywhere in the world. Just be careful when you set it up as some providers have an electronic bill option but still send you a paper one. You need to select the 'Completely Paperless' option (or whatever they call it). The only downside is you need to remember usernames and passwords ( or write them down).

our inspection is the day before our departure so I will know the amount that is due. I've never had any amount of any bond deducted and don't expect to this time, but I will know at least. The bond can be deposited in your bank acct directly (takes about 2weeks), I've had this done before so there is no need for a forwarding address.

When all my accounts are finalised and I'm completely done I'll transfer any money from my Oz acct to my UK bank account and close the account by letter.

You sound fine and calm.....whats your secret..lol....
A combination of no kids and having done it a few times before. I think I'm calm because it's hard for to see anything that can go awry with this move. We've selected our car that we'll buy on arrival, I have an appointment with my UK bank mgr on the Monday after my arrival, he's already pulled in some big shot from the city who is keen to meet me. My wife has made contact with some major business people in the UK Korean community so she's happy. i've got my races and hotels sorted. Mum and Dad can't wait for us to arrive.

The only question mark is jobs but I have a few things lined up for arrival but I guess it will take some time, but to be honest a bit of a forced holiday won't be a bad thing for us at the moment. I know things 'can' happen that are unexpected but we've covered as many bases as we can. And for once my wife an I are leaving Australia at the same time so at that point there is little point in stressing. We'll put our feet up at the pointy end of the plane. Although we are arriving in the UK separately. I don't think we've ever left and arrived in the same place together.

Last edited by Tr1boy; Jan 28th 2010 at 2:38 am.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

You can contact your service (or go online and set it up) that you don't wish to receive any paper bills at all. I have it for every one of my utilty services also have it for bank accounts and credit card bills. They'll work in one of two ways. They'll either send you an email to a nominated address that will alert you that have a statement due, then you log into to the provider's site and into your own account and you can view the bill and either print it our have it open then pay via B-Pay from your Oz bank acct.

Or, some providers don't do the email thing, but you can set up paperless billing use their website. What happens then is that you get a bill via your internet bank account messages called 'Bill Pay View'. And then of course you can do the same thing re payment. This is not quite so convenient as you need to know roughly when the bill is due and keep an eye on the messages in your bank account profile. I only have one provider that does this and that is Energy Australia.

So using these methods I can pay all my final bills via B-Pay using my Oz bank acct from anywhere in the world. Just be careful when you set it up as some providers have an electronic bill option but still send you a paper one. You need to select the 'Completely Paperless' option (or whatever they call it). The only downside is you need to remember usernames and passwords ( or write them down).

our inspection is the day before our departure so I will know the amount that is due. I've never had any amount of any bond deducted and don't expect to this time, but I will know at least. The bond can be deposited in your bank acct directly (takes about 2weeks), I've had this done before so there is no need for a forwarding address.

When all my accounts are finalised and I'm completely done I'll transfer any money from my Oz acct to my UK bank account and close the account by letter.

A combination of no kids and having done it a few times before. I think I'm calm because it's hard for to see anything that can go awry with this move. We've selected our car that we'll buy on arrival, I have an appointment with my UK bank mgr on the Monday after my arrival, he's already pulled in some big shot from the city who is keen to meet me. My wife has made contact with some major business people in the UK Korean community so she's happy. i've got my races and hotels sorted. Mum and Dad can't wait for us to arrive.

The only question mark is jobs but I have a few things lined up for arrival but I guess it will take some time, but to be honest a bit of a forced holiday won't be a bad thing for us at the moment. I know things 'can' happen that are unexpected but we've covered as many bases as we can. And for once my wife an I are leaving Australia at the same time so at that point there is little point in stressing. We'll put our feet up at the pointy end of the plane. Although we are arriving in the UK separately. I don't think we've ever left and arrived in the same place together.
Sounds great thank you for the info we have one problem though we do not use our computer at all for bill payments..our server coverage here in this rental is appalling even with extra arials for booting etc so wll just have to set up a direct debit.......yep..children,a dog...a OH...lol....does make life a little bit different....only joking.....hopefullly in many,many years to come....I will be able to pass through the pearly gates...lol....just for being good and going through this without becoming the dragon...I really want to be at times..lol...

Which races are you competing in?....my b-i-l runs in the London marathon...good luck....have you seen the movie (and no pun intended here) Run Fat Boy Run....really nice movie...

You do sound good to go and I am sure all will work out fine...some quality time together for you both when home will be good....chillaxe as they say...

Many thanks once again....
Old Jan 28th 2010, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Sounds great thank you for the info we have one problem though we do not use our computer at all for bill payments..our server coverage here in this rental is appalling even with extra arials for booting etc so wll just have to set up a direct debit.......yep..children,a dog...a OH...lol....does make life a little bit different....only joking.....hopefullly in many,many years to come....I will be able to pass through the pearly gates...lol....just for being good and going through this without becoming the dragon...I really want to be at times..lol...

Which races are you competing in?....my b-i-l runs in the London marathon...good luck....have you seen the movie (and no pun intended here) Run Fat Boy Run....really nice movie...

You do sound good to go and I am sure all will work out fine...some quality time together for you both when home will be good....chillaxe as they say...

Many thanks once again....
Well if you DD all your bills half your probs are solved. I don't actually like DDing as if there is a dispute I have to fight to get my own money back. At least if I pay by CC I can stop the payment/dispute it. My internet and Foxtel is on CC. I have kids from a previous marriage but have no issue saying nowadays that I'm just too selfish (and old ) for all that again.

My race plan for the rest of the year is:

Tour of Wessex- last weekend in May. A 3 stage (3day) sportive ride. I'm only doing Day 1 (102miles) and Day 2 (110miles).

A Day in the Lakes Half Ironman (1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21km run) - June 27 in the Lake District (Ullswater).

Outlaw iron distance triathlon (3.8km swim, 180km bike, 42.2km run) Aug 8th. It's in Nottingham (Holme Pierrpoint).

On top of that will be the usual time trial and criterium bike racing. (hopefully no broken bones this year).

I've just finished the Alpine Classic last Sunday which was 200km through Bright/ Tawonga Gap/Falls Creek and Mt Buffalo. I'm not religious but I found God a few times on that ride managed to crawl home in 9hrs45.

Yeah i've seen Run Fatboy Run, very funny. Good on your BIL for getting out there, I've never run a stand alone marathon.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Well if you DD all your bills half your probs are solved. I don't actually like DDing as if there is a dispute I have to fight to get my own money back. At least if I pay by CC I can stop the payment/dispute it. My internet and Foxtel is on CC. I have kids from a previous marriage but have no issue saying nowadays that I'm just too selfish (and old ) for all that again.

My race plan for the rest of the year is:

Tour of Wessex- last weekend in May. A 3 stage (3day) sportive ride. I'm only doing Day 1 (102miles) and Day 2 (110miles).

A Day in the Lakes Half Ironman (1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21km run) - June 27 in the Lake District (Ullswater).

Outlaw iron distance triathlon (3.8km swim, 180km bike, 42.2km run) Aug 8th. It's in Nottingham (Holme Pierrpoint).

On top of that will be the usual time trial and criterium bike racing. (hopefully no broken bones this year).

I've just finished the Alpine Classic last Sunday which was 200km through Bright/ Tawonga Gap/Falls Creek and Mt Buffalo. I'm not religious but I found God a few times on that ride managed to crawl home in 9hrs45.

Yeah i've seen Run Fatboy Run, very funny. Good on your BIL for getting out there, I've never run a stand alone marathon.
LOL will you have time for finding work!!!!! it all sounds good...we are a very sporty family but you put us to shame....which part is your favorite....running...bike....etc?.....my dad who is 80...no 81.....sorry pop's....anyway he loves sports and swims but he just loves to have a go on the Velodrome in Manchester....I use to roll my eyes...but you know what it's up there on a list of to do things...must admit...I bike ride less here in W.A than ever before it is just to hot.....

I don't "do" direct debit at the momentl....bpay for me...but if I am he notre to do that so I will just have to set up direct debits then cancel when paid.....we are with bigpond here in WA and great in our own home but in the rental wireless no other choice and it is just terrible...hence the bpay....when your things are "shipped" are you staying in your rental or in a hotel.....we might have to stay in a hotel for a couple of days...not sure on flights yet...a bit fed up at how expensive one way tickets are at the moment...have to get a move on though...we have until April for our rental to finish so a tiny bit of time left before it becomes...a must do.....

LOL my BIL could not walk for a week afterwards....
Old Jan 28th 2010, 4:13 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Small world - family live just outside Bristol now, I was born near Glastonbury, and my Mum has spent most of her life in Frome - grew up there, and moved back there for several years when we all left home.
Small world indeed!! It's a nice little town and I like it
Old Jan 28th 2010, 4:16 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Are you heading back to Zummerzet or are you trying somewhere else? How long were you in Oz?

Nosy Parker
Old Jan 28th 2010, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Are you heading back to Zummerzet or are you trying somewhere else? How long were you in Oz?

Nosy Parker
We'll be in Zummerzet at first but have no intention of staying there. I love it there (actually I like Devon and Dorset more) but our careers pretty much dictate we'll be in the Sth East/ M3/M4 corridor. Having my wife feel comfortable is my #1 priority and she is definitely a cosmopolitan type gal and being close to non Anglos will help her feel not so out of place. I like to think I could do the whole Dorset thing, but if I'm honest I think I'm a bit too city centric these days.

Been in Oz on and off for 21yrs but have lived in 4 other countries and go home very regularly.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

LOL will you have time for finding work!!!!! it all sounds good...we are a very sporty family but you put us to shame....which part is your favorite....running...bike....etc?.....my dad who is 80...no 81.....sorry pop's....anyway he loves sports and swims but he just loves to have a go on the Velodrome in Manchester....I use to roll my eyes...but you know what it's up there on a list of to do things...must admit...I bike ride less here in W.A than ever before it is just to hot.....

I don't "do" direct debit at the momentl....bpay for me...but if I am he notre to do that so I will just have to set up direct debits then cancel when paid.....we are with bigpond here in WA and great in our own home but in the rental wireless no other choice and it is just terrible...hence the bpay....when your things are "shipped" are you staying in your rental or in a hotel.....we might have to stay in a hotel for a couple of days...not sure on flights yet...a bit fed up at how expensive one way tickets are at the moment...have to get a move on though...we have until April for our rental to finish so a tiny bit of time left before it becomes...a must do.....

LOL my BIL could not walk for a week afterwards....
I like the bike best because I like the history associated with it and being an ex motorcycle racer I like flying into corners. I used to be a pure runner though but had a major stomach op in 01 and that gave me severe reflux when I ran for years after. It's better now but I started cycling to keep fit whilst the stomach issue was sorted.

Track racing is great, I love it. When I started I had to have a sticker on the bars that said 'Keep Pedalling'

For cheap one way flights try Asiana. We're going business class but I'm pretty sure the one way price was about $1050 or something.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

I like the bike best because I like the history associated with it and being an ex motorcycle racer I like flying into corners. I used to be a pure runner though but had a major stomach op in 01 and that gave me severe reflux when I ran for years after. It's better now but I started cycling to keep fit whilst the stomach issue was sorted.

Track racing is great, I love it. When I started I had to have a sticker on the bars that said 'Keep Pedalling'

For cheap one way flights try Asiana. We're going business class but I'm pretty sure the one way price was about $1050 or something.
The choice for flights out of Perth is not as great as the Eastern States...they like to keep us walled in here....no escape...lol....AND I cannot imagine where they get the price difference from flying to London...just say $1300plus tax and then ......$1700plus tax to MANCHESTER....an extra $400!!! now I know you pay extra for "good stuff"...lol....and I love Manchester (it's home)...but an extra $400+ It's a hope skip and a jump in flight terms London - Manchester.... AND I am being very conservative on these current prices.........okay rant over..well it's getting hotter here.....at 3.44pm.it should be cooling down lol...

You are a very wise chappy indeed....keep the wife happy and your life will be good...lol....it is a good idea to start with what you are use to...you never know in time you might fancy a change and head to Dorset...etc...my Oh are returning to be near our families for now...our sons want their cousins...aunts, uncle's etc on their doorstep after all these years...that's good for now but in time my Oh can choose where we would like to live....we love the Southern Countryside....we always call is "soft"...on the eye so to speak.....but in all honesty...we just love the moors....ragged.....beautiful in their own way....could I ask?..well I am going to anyway...did you solve the reflux problem...my OH has it and although fit and healthy he has to take medication....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.