Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Sep 20th 2013, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
I didn't misquote. I quoted the main point of your earlier statement and linked to it so it could be easily seen exactly what you said.And it still doesn't even make a dent in the unemployment figures, as I previously replied. The unemployment rate was 7.8% before the 4,000 were removed from the unemployment figure, and it remained 7.8% after 4,000 was removed.

This month the reduction in unemployment was 24,000 which did move the rate from 7.8% to 7.7%. I would be surprised if you didn't hold a huge party for that reduction with your low expectations. However the rate doesn't show the full story, because that article also says

For those fortunate enough to have a job, underemployment is a huge problem that also needs addressing.
So the answer is you cannot find anywhere with a better record of job creation.
Which you also confirm is accelerating at a truly remarkable pace.

Thank you.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
So the answer is you cannot find anywhere with a better record of job creation.
I haven't looked. You are the one who says when unemployment in the UK is reduced by 4,000 in a month that the UK is the envy of the world.
Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Which you also confirm is accelerating at a truly remarkable pace.
Don't be silly now, I have not said anything of the sort. I quoted an article which said unemployment had reduced by 24,000 - not making any comment or opinion on that, except to point out that the same article highlights a very serious issue of underemployment.

As you want to compare with another country, let's look at the USA.

October 2009 - USA: 10%; UK: 7.7%
July 2013 - USA: 7.3%; UK: 7.7%

Yes, I can see just from those figures that the reduction rate of unemployment in the UK is the envy of the world..
Old Sep 20th 2013, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Having recently started to consider the prospects of early retirement (hopefully only 1,612 days to go ...), I wholeheartedly agree with your point. Living in the UK, or elsewhere, is a different kettle of fish when you are retired than when you are working or looking for work.

It also adds perspective to so much of the disagreement that accompanies this debate - the answer to the question depends so much on your personal circumstances. There is no absolute answer to the question, regardless of whether people try to "prove" that there is.
I still think the answer to the original question as posed is "no". It is not as bad as the hyperbolic descriptions of boarded-up shops, roaming knife gangs, bodies piling up in A&E or old people's homes, Sharia law, you name it.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 3:57 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I still think the answer to the original question as posed is "no". It is not as bad as the hyperbolic descriptions of boarded-up shops, roaming knife gangs, bodies piling up in A&E or old people's homes, Sharia law, you name it.
There are a lot of boarded up shops in my old home town, as competition from nearby shopping centres, Belfast's city centre shopping and the ridiculous rates in the town for buildings has pushed away a lot of the old businesses.

Quite sad, really

Belfast's full of nationalists as well. NI sucks these days
Old Sep 20th 2013, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

Belfast's full of nationalists as well. NI sucks these days
Yeah that's crazy! We might have considered a job in NI if not for that.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

It is not as bad as the hyperbolic descriptions of boarded-up shops, roaming knife gangs, bodies piling up in A&E or old people's homes, Sharia law, you name it.
Not sure where those things came in the original question on this thread. I think shops closing down was mentioned part way in by the OP, but not the other things you mention?
Old Sep 20th 2013, 4:03 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that's crazy! We might have considered a job in NI if not for that.
I've actually reached the point where I've ruled out moving back to the UK now because of it. I'd only want to live on the mainland now, and unless my parents moved there as well, it would render a move rather pointless if we still have to travel to see them
Old Sep 20th 2013, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've actually reached the point where I've ruled out moving back to the UK now because of it. I'd only want to live on the mainland now, and unless my parents moved there as well, it would render a move rather pointless if we still have to travel to see them
Maybe the nutters have done you a favour if you feel more settled where you are now
Old Sep 20th 2013, 4:06 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, as most have said the answer is very definite NO, it is nowhere near as bad as the OP has been led to believe. Confidence up, unemployment down, manufacturing up. Its all looking good.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 4:11 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely agree. Sharia Law is an example of the DM style pot stirring. Nothing wrong with establishing Sharia Courts, many countries have a long tradition of courts for different communities with family law jurisdiction, etc. Israel has always had Sharia Courts, for instance, because Israel has a large Muslim population. But, mention setting up Sharia Courts in the popular media in the US or UK and the low-information section of the population assume that convicted shoplifters are going to get their hands hacked off in the market square etc.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 4:11 pm
I have a comma problem

Maybe the nutters have done you a favour if you feel more settled where you are now
Maybe. I'd still like the place to be recognisable when I visit though.

Originally Posted by chris955
Exactly, as most have said the answer is very definite NO, it is nowhere near as bad as the OP has been led to believe. Confidence up, unemployment down, manufacturing up. Its all looking good.
That's one part of it though. For a returning ex-pat of employment age there are a few considerations that can make a move back less than ideal.

From my point of view it's a two-part problem for a theoretical return (republican Belfast chavs notwithstanding). There's the earnings requirement for the spouse visa, which means I have to earn a salary over £10K/yr more than I earned when I was working there. The problem being, even if I could get reinstated at my old grade in the civil service, I'd still be falling short by almost ten grand. I have no degree and no real transferrable skills since accounting in the US and UK is different. Given I earn twice as much here and then some than I could realistically expect in the UK - for me, that outweighs any and all of the many good and wonderful things that I could enjoy if we did move to England, for example.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 4:15 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Definitely agree. Sharia Law is an example of the DM style pot stirring. Nothing wrong with establishing Sharia Courts, many countries have a long tradition of courts for different communities with family law jurisdiction, etc. Israel has always had Sharia Courts, for instance, because Israel has a large Muslim population. But, mention setting up Sharia Courts in the popular media in the US or UK and the low-information section of the population assume that convicted shoplifters are going to get their hands hacked off in the market square etc.
Agreed, we had the same crap from the gutter press in Australia carrying on about those Muslims wanting to bring Sharia Law to the country as if it would somehow replace the current judicial system, the problem is the bogan element lap it all up and gives them something to shout about.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chris955
The answer is neither a definite NO (not sure why you feel the need to capitalize that), nor is it a definite yes.

The answer is dependent on numerous factors, including stage of life and situation you find yourself in once you have returned. Not everyone has won the Australian property lottery and can spend all day at home breeding reptiles or whatever you're doing with them.
Originally Posted by dunroving
There is no absolute answer to the question, regardless of whether people try to "prove" that there is.
Indeed, that is so.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't looked. You are the one who says when unemployment in the UK is reduced by 4,000 in a month that the UK is the envy of the world.Don't be silly now, I have not said anything of the sort. I quoted an article which said unemployment had reduced by 24,000 - not making any comment or opinion on that, except to point out that the same article highlights a very serious issue of underemployment.

As you want to compare with another country, let's look at the USA.

October 2009 - USA: 10%; UK: 7.7%
July 2013 - USA: 7.3%; UK: 7.7%

Yes, I can see just from those figures that the reduction rate of unemployment in the UK is the envy of the world..
As you very well know, and as I alluded to in my earlier post, the lower rate of unemployment in the USA is entirely due to huge numbers simply stopping looking for work. The only statistic that matters is the number and percentage of people in work.

To refresh your memory - UK 73.6 percent labour force participation. USA 63.2 percent. Despite the higher rate of growth in the population.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by robin1234
Indeed.

That's one part of it though. For a returning ex-pat of employment age there are a few considerations that can make a move back less than ideal.

From my point of view it's a two-part problem for a theoretical return (republican Belfast chavs notwithstanding). There's the earnings requirement for the spouse visa, which means I have to earn a salary over £10K/yr more than I earned when I was working there. The problem being, even if I could get reinstated at my old grade in the civil service, I'd still be falling short by almost ten grand. I have no degree and no real transferrable skills since accounting in the US and UK is different. Given I earn twice as much here and then some than I could realistically expect in the UK - for me, that outweighs any and all of the many good and wonderful things that I could enjoy if we did move to England, for example.
Isn't the requirement 18,600 or something similar? I would have thought a civil service job would pay that.

8,000 a year would be incredibly low nowadays.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.