Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Sep 20th 2013, 10:30 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
From his BBC link, he seems to be referring to Sept 2013 rate for Britain, but he does not indicate the dates for the rates for the other countries.
I'm not questioning the UK figure. It's the others.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I'm not questioning the UK figure. It's the others.
I'm agreeing with you - he's very unclear.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

I have completely lost track of what you're trying to prove.
I'm not trying to prove anything, I was simply breaking down some of the stats that a poster referred to as the "Eurozone" or EU is made up of a number of countries, but is often unhelpfully looked at as one.
Were those figures from Wikipedia?
No, as I put in the post they come from Eurostat and can be found here.
From his BBC link, he seems to be referring to Sept 2013 rate for Britain, but he does not indicate the dates for the rates for the other countries.
They relate to July 2013.
Originally Posted by robin1234
I believe he's in an obscure, kabuki theatre feud with another member who is posting in this thread but I have no idea what the underlying issue is.

Me, I would like to move back to England and the issues I need to overcome to achieve this have little to do with macroeconomic facts or fictions.
No underlying issue, just that some posters only seem to be able to post about what could be considered ok or good when asked about the situation of the UK and not give a fuller picture. Both the good and bad are needed in making decisions. One poster also insists on capitalizing their answer to NO, so I'm not sure what the issue that makes them need to shout their reply.

As I've previously said on this thread, the situation in the UK will improve. I've also agreed that there isn't a definite answer for everyone, and it depends on a number of things including stage of life, and the situation that you find yourself in after you've returned.

I've been back in the UK for over a year knowing what the situation was here before I came, but I chose to look at the bigger picture of both positives and negatives.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 12:00 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

OK. I hadn't found that table when I looked at Eurostat.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Well now! This joint is really jumpin'! Love it

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Not sure what point you're attempting to make with that. A poster made what seems to be a statement of fact, I asked a follow up question in regards to that statement. Not sure what's wrong with asking such a question in order that the poster can validate their statement
Oh absolutely!

I do like such irony.I see we're back to that, like when you suggested that reducing unemployment by 4,000 is a heck of an achievement that any country in the world would envy.
Yes. I see that you see that.

Just to add, many looking to return to the UK are retired or transitioning from work to retirement. This usually means they have their future income sources in place and can then choose where to live guided by availability of housing at affordable prices, and various lifestyle criteria, also healthcare availability etc. in this respect the UK looks a lot better than where I live, the US. Just one factor, public transport, for instance ..
Yes I agree to a point, and accept that you did say 'many'. However, it does not account for so many others. I personally know of only three other couples returning. Only one couple are retirees. That doesn't say much I know, but it does say that there are variable age groups who are returning-something self evident on BE.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

I still think the answer to the original question as posed is "no". It is not as bad as the hyperbolic descriptions of boarded-up shops, roaming knife gangs, bodies piling up in A&E or old people's homes, Sharia law, you name it.
Poo trees! You forgot the poo trees.

Originally Posted by chris955
Agreed, we had the same crap from the gutter press in Australia carrying on about those Muslims wanting to bring Sharia Law to the country as if it would somehow replace the current judicial system, the problem is the bogan element lap it all up and gives them something to shout about.
Excellente!

The answer is neither a definite NO (not sure why you feel the need to capitalize that), nor is it a definite yes.

The answer is dependent on numerous factors, including stage of life and situation you find yourself in once you have returned. Not everyone has won the Australian property lottery and can spend all day at home breeding reptiles or whatever you're doing with them.
Chris you dark horse!! I had no idea you were breeding reptiles! Why couldn't you breed children like normal people?

Originally Posted by dunroving
I agree with you 100% on that count (I made the same point maybe 20 or 30 pages back).

I think a large number (maybe most) of the responses haven't taken that into consideration, though - they are simply responding to the vernacular title of the thread. And the longer the thread goes on, taking on a life of its own, the further we seem to get from the original question.
It takes all sorts.....

Originally Posted by dunroving
I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with the direction the thread has taken though - in fact I don't think it would have gone on for one tenth as long if we were still discussing the very first post/question.

I would guess most people looking objectively at the exact question would say the answer is no (but I'd also guess some would add "it's not particularly great for many people, either").

The thread seems to have moved on to the more general "How good/bad are things in the UK?", which I think is a much more interesting and informative question for people considering a move back than "Do you think my relatives are exaggerating how bad it is?"

I don't think the OP has posted here in yonks so my guess is his question has been answered many, many pages back.
Agreed.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Meaning UK has unemployment above a number of countries in the Eurozone. Let's see what some of these unemployment rates are:

Austria 4.8%
Germany 5.3%
Luxembourg 5.7%
Malta 6%
Netherlands 7%

Outside of the Eurozone, but still in the EU we have:

Denmark 6.7%
Czech Republic 6.8%
Romania 7.5%

Outside of the EU, but still in the EEA we also have:

Iceland 5.5%

The 7.7% in the UK is not good by itself, it's also not good when looking at quite a few other nearby countries.

(figures taken from eurostat)
Making comparisons with other countries is irresistible and inevitable, isn't it?

I have completely lost track of what you're trying to prove.

I wouldn't organize my life on the basis of looking at the above figures and thinking, "Oh, Iceland or Malta are going to be the best places to live."

A certain kind of person just has to get the boot into the UK at little or no provocation, I don't understand it all all, we as a nation have always been a bit like that but it's got massively worse in my lifetime.
I know what the poster is trying to prove....
Absolutely agree on your second para.
Third para: It is routine. I looked back a few years on BE. Routine.

I believe he's in an obscure, kabuki theatre feud with another member who is posting in this thread but I have no idea what the underlying issue is.

Me, I would like to move back to England and the issues I need to overcome to achieve this have little to do with macroeconomic facts or fictions.
Agree. Both para's..

Well obviously I've butted into a private conversation then. My apologies, and for the weird bug that is posting everything from me twice.

I had not noticed that the unemployment figures Roaringmouse quotes are attributed by him to Eurostat, and asked him if they were Wikipedia. I've checked the Eurostat figures, which only go up to the end of 2012, and they don't correspond to his figures either.
Double posts have become noticable again, it must be frustrating. I await my turn on it.

I'm not trying to prove anything, I was simply breaking down some of the stats that a poster referred to as the "Eurozone" or EU is made up of a number of countries, but is often unhelpfully looked at as one.No, as I put in the post they come from Eurostat and can be found here. They relate to July 2013.No underlying issue, just that some posters only seem to be able to post about what could be considered ok or good when asked about the situation of the UK and not give a fuller picture. Both the good and bad are needed in making decisions. One poster also insists on capitalizing their answer to NO, so I'm not sure what the issue that makes them need to shout their reply.

As I've previously said on this thread, the situation in the UK will improve. I've also agreed that there isn't a definite answer for everyone, and it depends on a number of things including stage of life, and the situation that you find yourself in after you've returned.

I've been back in the UK for over a year knowing what the situation was here before I came, but I chose to look at the bigger picture of both positives and negatives.
Come now! You concentrate on the negative! You can hardly have a shot (the inevitable one..) at another poster for doing the opposite!
At least be honest.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Even Ronnie Biggs moved back, therefore the country must have something going for it.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 5:49 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 21st 2013, 6:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

just so you guys know, the Tech teams are working on the double posts issue, and the Mods are hounding them to fix it. We can only apologise and ask you to be patient
Old Sep 21st 2013, 6:22 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It only seems to affect some people which is weird. Having said I wouldnt mind if it was posted twice that I still feel the answer is NO
Old Sep 21st 2013, 6:26 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

It only seems to affect some people which is weird. Having said I wouldnt mind if it was posted twice that I still feel the answer is NO

Part of the reason it is taking so long to fix the issue is because it IS so random - it can't be directly related to any specific browser/quick vs normal reply/etc
Old Sep 21st 2013, 6:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Part of the reason it is taking so long to fix the issue is because it IS so random - it can't be directly related to any specific browser/quick vs normal reply/etc
Its like an electrical problem on a car, you can spend hours chasing it around because it doesnt stay still.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 7:16 am
Home and Happy

Its like an electrical problem on a car, you can spend hours chasing it around because it doesnt stay still.
thats it exactly!
Old Sep 21st 2013, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Much like this thread . . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.