Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Sep 20th 2013, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Here's the definition. I only scanned it briefly but it looks like they divide your savings by the number of years until you have to make an application for indefinite leave to remain. Then you have to make a fresh application and meet the requirements anew:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...df?view=Binary

"An amount based on the cash savings above £16,000 held by the applicant.s partner, the applicant or both jointly for at least the 6 months prior to the date of application and under their control. At the entry clearance/initial leave to remain stage and the further leave stage, the amount above £16,000 must be divided by 2.5 (to reflect the 2.5 year or 30-month period before the applicant will have to make a further application) to give the amount which can be added to income. At the indefinite leave to remain stage, the whole of the amount above £16,000 can be added to income"
OK that's interesting. It gives a table under section 7 as to how it works.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
OK that's interesting. It gives a table under section 7 as to how it works.
One thing I didn't realize is that you have to go through the process again after 2.5 years. That means that people whose economic position has deteriorated in that period (unemployment, for example) are in deep shit. It's truly a horrible system.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
One thing I didn't realize is that you have to go through the process again after 2.5 years. That means that people whose economic position has deteriorated in that period (unemployment, for example) are in deep shit. It's truly a horrible system.
It's one of those knee-jerk popularist reactions to the concept of getting benefits down.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
To refresh your memory - UK 73.6 percent labour force participation. USA 63.2 percent. Despite the higher rate of growth in the population.
Actually, the latest release has the employment rate for those 16-64 at 71.6% for the UK - reference.
As you very well know, and as I alluded to in my earlier post, the lower rate of unemployment in the USA is entirely due to huge numbers simply stopping looking for work. The only statistic that matters is the number and percentage of people in work.
I don't really care too much for the reasons in the US, it was you who wanted to compare the rates in different countries so that's what I did.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Over the last year, despite the reduction in public sector employment, the total number employed in the UK has risen by 343,000.
Thought I would check up on this stat of yours. From the latest release for employment rates, released 11 September and relating to May-July quarter, the total number has risen by 275,000 from a year earlier. You seem to be adding almost 70,000 on top of this.

With 2,490,000 people unemployed - and the added issue of serious underemployment - it is going to take a very long time for this employment situation to get anywhere close to good.

Unemployment isn't expected to get below 7% for 2-3 years by the MPC of the Bank of England. We've got to remember that unemployment in the UK got up to the current level 4½ years ago. This means the UK could be just half way through a decade-long period of high unemployment - presuming things go the way they currently are, and no major shocks happen to the economy.

I really don't think this is such an achievement as you think it is.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 6:55 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me Pug that you are simply voicing an opinion. And a pretty narrow one at that.
I would be interested in seeing the statistics to which you refer. The indices of deprivation to which you refer are relative indices, so would not seem to support your conclusion, in fact, logically, would do the opposite.

There are a couple of points I would make. Firstly, most people on this thread are looking to return to the UK and are interested in the economics of how they survive in the UK. The number in work in the UK is rising, and has done so for several years now. Therefore they are more likely to get a job. (73.6 percent of the population is economically active in the UK. In the USA, for example, the equivalent measure is 63.1 percent.)

Pay levels - Broadly, job losses have mainly been in the public sector, (about 400 thousand) and job creation in the private (about 1Million). As the public sector is paid more than the private sector, average pay will necessarily decline – which it has. However, the Government has reduced substantially the tax levied in the lower paid, as a result of which , real take home pay has fallen in just the one year since the Coalition took office.

Real take home pay in the UK remains the third highest in the developed world according to the latest OECD survey, far ahead of the USA, Australia or even Germany.

Perhaps the thread ought to be renamed "Is the situation in the UK really that good".
Yes I think your last statement is probably more accurate. Unemployment in the UK is well below the Eurozone average and continuing to trend down.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chris955
Unemployment in the UK is well below the Eurozone average and continuing to trend down.
Meaning UK has unemployment above a number of countries in the Eurozone. Let's see what some of these unemployment rates are:

Austria 4.8%
Germany 5.3%
Luxembourg 5.7%
Malta 6%
Netherlands 7%

Outside of the Eurozone, but still in the EU we have:

Denmark 6.7%
Czech Republic 6.8%
Romania 7.5%

Outside of the EU, but still in the EEA we also have:

Iceland 5.5%

The 7.7% in the UK is not good by itself, it's also not good when looking at quite a few other nearby countries.

(figures taken from eurostat)
Old Sep 20th 2013, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Meaning UK has unemployment above a number of countries in the Eurozone. Let's see what some of these unemployment rates are:

Austria 4.8%
Germany 5.3%
Luxembourg 5.7%
Malta 6%
Netherlands 7%

Denmark 6.7%
Czech Republic 6.8%
Romania 7.5%

Iceland 5.5%

The 7.7% in the UK is not good by itself, it's also not good when looking at quite a few other nearby countries.

I have completely lost track of what you're trying to prove.

I wouldn't organize my life on the basis of looking at the above figures and thinking, "Oh, Iceland or Malta are going to be the best places to live."

A certain kind of person just has to get the boot into the UK at little or no provocation, I don't understand it all all, we as a nation have always been a bit like that but it's got massively worse in my lifetime.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 9:09 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Austria 4.8%
Germany 5.3%
Luxembourg 5.7%
Malta 6%
Netherlands 7%

Denmark 6.7%
Czech Republic 6.8%
Romania 7.5%

Iceland 5.5%

Were those figures from Wikipedia? Latest actual figures (from Trading Economics):
Austria unemployment rate August '13 - 6.9%.
Germany 5.3% (as you say).
Luxembourg 7%
Malta 6.1%
Netherlands 8.6%

Denmark 4.4%
Czech Republic 7.5%
Romania 7.5% (as your figure)
Iceland 4.7%

Frankly, the smaller countries in the above list, such as Malta and Luxembourg, are hardly relevant. The UK government is not likely to learn anything by taking tips from Luxembourg or Iceland.

I was sceptical about the Coalition's economic policy, but actually I don't think they've done too badly. Apart from the question of debt, there are massive imbalances in the UK economy, yet as well as the modest economic growth, there has been some rebalancing with a growth in manufacturing jobs.

What has astonished me, however, that is that under 'Lord Snooty' Osborne, Britain has become more equal with the top losing real income and the bottom gaining some.

Under Labour, Britain became a more unequal society. So, I think it is a case of: Don't believe what they say, look at what they do.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 9:09 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Austria 4.8%
Germany 5.3%
Luxembourg 5.7%
Malta 6%
Netherlands 7%

Denmark 6.7%
Czech Republic 6.8%
Romania 7.5%

Iceland 5.5%

Were those figures from Wikipedia? Latest actual figures (from Trading Economics):
Austria unemployment rate August '13 - 6.9%.
Germany 5.3% (as you say).
Luxembourg 7%
Malta 6.1%
Netherlands 8.6%

Denmark 4.4%
Czech Republic 7.5%
Romania 7.5% (as your figure)
Iceland 4.7%

Frankly, the smaller countries in the above list, such as Malta and Luxembourg, are hardly relevant. The UK government is not likely to learn anything by taking tips from Luxembourg or Iceland.

I was sceptical about the Coalition's economic policy, but actually I don't think they've done too badly. Apart from the question of debt, there are massive imbalances in the UK economy, yet as well as the modest economic growth, there has been some rebalancing with a growth in manufacturing jobs.

What has astonished me, however, that is that under 'Lord Snooty' Osborne, Britain has become more equal with the top losing real income and the bottom gaining some.

Under Labour, Britain became a more unequal society. So, I think it is a case of: Don't believe what they say, look at what they do.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 9:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I have completely lost track of what you're trying to prove.

I wouldn't organize my life on the basis of looking at the above figures and thinking, "Oh, Iceland or Malta are going to be the best places to live."

A certain kind of person just has to get the boot into the UK at little or no provocation, I don't understand it all all, we as a nation have always been a bit like that but it's got massively worse in my lifetime.
I believe he's in an obscure, kabuki theatre feud with another member who is posting in this thread but I have no idea what the underlying issue is.

Me, I would like to move back to England and the issues I need to overcome to achieve this have little to do with macroeconomic facts or fictions.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by robin1234
I believe he's in an obscure, kabuki theatre feud with another member who is posting in this thread but I have no idea what the underlying issue is.

Me, I would like to move back to England and the issues I need to overcome to achieve this have little to do with macroeconomic facts or fictions.

May all your dreams come true.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 10:20 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Well obviously I've butted into a private conversation then. My apologies, and for the weird bug that is posting everything from me twice.

I had not noticed that the unemployment figures Roaringmouse quotes are attributed by him to Eurostat, and asked him if they were Wikipedia. I've checked the Eurostat figures, which only go up to the end of 2012, and they don't correspond to his figures either.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 10:20 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Well obviously I've butted into a private conversation then. My apologies, and for the weird bug that is posting everything from me twice.

I had not noticed that the unemployment figures Roaringmouse quotes are attributed by him to Eurostat, and asked him if they were Wikipedia. I've checked the Eurostat figures, which only go up to the end of 2012, and they don't correspond to his figures either.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Editha

From his BBC link, he seems to be referring to Sept 2013 rate for Britain, but he does not indicate the dates for the rates for the other countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.