Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Jul 19th 2013, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Barrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really nice
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

I guess driving does drive some people round the bend. We need to put our foot on the brake and ease up before we hit a brick wall sometimes

Last edited by Barrybriggs; Jul 19th 2013 at 4:09 am.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 4:42 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Perhaps you should re-phrase that to say "one thing that has disappeared from the South East of England (around London)."

There's a lot more to England than that one little crowded and unpleasant area - in which I have no idea why anyone chooses to live. The rest of us in most of England, all of Scotland, all of Wales and all of Ireland are perfectly courteous on the roads. In fact, that's been one of the true delights for me in being back here - people are SO kind and so polite when driving.
Yes the SE is a very small part of the country but although we do live in a quite part I drive all over the country and overall I am amazed by the standard of driving. In Australia if some let us out or was courteous we would say he must be British
I could post loads of links to road rage and rude drivers in Australia or America or Mongolia but we all know it exists everywhere, the joy of driving here is the incidence is far less than we are used to.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 5:47 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by MrsFychan; Jul 19th 2013 at 5:50 am. Reason: late to the party, had moved on a bit from OP's question
Old Jul 19th 2013, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...o-grow-up.html

Might explain why so many people do choose to live in the south east. Many of them having left the rest of the UK. Such as myself, born very far north of Watford, spent most of my time in the UK in Kent.
Also
Lower unemployment,
higher salaries (also higher cost of living).
Closer to he Continent - when in UK I can shop and eat inNorthern France, as easily as north of London.
Longer daylight hours - except of course the sky is a uniform gray.
The most cosmopolitan city in Europe
Old Jul 19th 2013, 8:21 am
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...o-grow-up.html

Might explain why so many people do choose to live in the south east. Many of them having left the rest of the UK. Such as myself, born very far north of Watford, spent most of my time in the UK in Kent.
Also
Lower unemployment,
higher salaries (also higher cost of living).
Closer to he Continent - when in UK I can shop and eat inNorthern France, as easily as north of London.
Longer daylight hours - except of course the sky is a uniform gray.
The most cosmopolitan city in Europe
FYI, the link you provide is to an ad asking to pay for access.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Sile, sorry I did not know the Telegraph had started doing that.
If you can access the Telegraph it is today's column by Jeremy Warner about the comparative underperformance of many English cities
Interestingly thre is also a column by Ed Conway in The Times on the effect of the Help to Buy initiative on house prices - particularly in London.

If you cannot access them, I will try to copy them for you if you want and if the mods let me post them.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

The link worked fine for me. I'm not aware of there being any free access limitations to UK IP addresses only with the Telegraph's online news content.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

For those who wish to compare..............

http://www.keithlane.com/page12.htm
Old Jul 19th 2013, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by curleytops
The link worked fine for me. I'm not aware of there being any free access limitations to UK IP addresses only with the Telegraph's online news content.
It's not UK IP addresses specifically. The Telegraph is now subscription only although you can see one off articles. The Guardian is now the only free online broadsheet you can view online.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 2:25 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser

Excellent link!
Old Jul 20th 2013, 2:39 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yozzernz
My family back in the UK often say how the economic situation over there is awful and there are no jobs, is the situation over there really that bleak? They also say how there's lots of unrest due to the immigration policy of this government. We really want to go home but would hate to take our kids back to a place where their prospects are poor to non existent and there's lots of unrest. My dad's a real doom and gloom merchant and I wonder if he's making things out to be worse than they really are

Any thoughts?
Depends where you're comparing to.

From about 2009 on wards I found it nearly impossible to find work and ended up being stuck in some part time minimum wage waste of time. Went to Canada for a year 2010-2011 and found full time work within weeks. Moved back to the UK in mid 2011 and the same story. Extreme lack of jobs and next to nothing skilled. Moved back to Canada in mid 2012 and found a skilled position paying more than I ever earned in the UK. Again in a matter of weeks. Of course that's just my experience.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 4:44 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser

Im not sure comparing figures from 2007 is relevant especially when you consider that in 2012 deaths dropped in the UK from the 3298 in your link to 1754 which is an incredibly impressive result. In Australia it has dropped from 1616 to 1301 although last year it actually increased slightly from 2011. The amazing thing is how close the numbers now are considering the UK has 3 times the population on more crowded roads. I put a lot of that down to a much better attitude by drivers here, they drive faster but are safer.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.myroadrage.com/

http://www.ingenie.com/redmist

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...n_1617998.html
Old Jul 20th 2013, 6:52 am
Banned

http://m.couriermail.com.au/news/que...-1226613846406

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...d-rage-attack/

http://www.caradvice.com.au/130279/r...e/?tab=gallery
Old Jul 20th 2013, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by yozzernz
Incidentally I'm a registered mental health nurse, any nurses out there with an opinion on the job situ?
http://www.mentalhealthjobs.co.uk/

A friend who has worked in mental health all his life retired five years ago. He still works two days a week to bring his salary up to what he was earning full time. From what he tells me his employers simply couldn't find anyone qualified enough to fill his position. He does complain about ward closures and the centralisation of services, but all in all his lot is a happy one.

Hope the link helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.